What defines hypo?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
well i HAD a hypo bredli who was 1.5 years old and showing NO black pigments. sold i though. mistake???? could it have become black???

ShadowDragon i know you wernt saying that i am being overcharged for the snake, and i know there are alot of people out there who will increase their prices if they can attach a tag to their snakes, was just saying that in this case the label doesnt cost.

Minka thats an awesome looking coastal thanks for posting the pic ;)

And everyone else thanks for your input, i had already searched a heap of sites on the meaning of hypo and hyper but that just confused me further, as alot of you have said it is reduced black pigmentation, but i couldnt find what is used as a base to compare it to. After reading your responses i think i am going to have to have a good think about wether or not i drop his hypo tag, but i will still be getting him as he is almost the exact color/pattern that i am looking for as a partner to my female.

my breeder classed my coastal as hypo'ish as it has a few spots on its side half way down, i wasnt charged any more for this snake than what i would have for any others i had to choose from which im really happy about havent seen it shed yet but see what happens when he/she does shed.

hypo'ish is not a hypo. it is just a nice looking coastal.

anyway, what is the bredli. a hypo or what????

i would def say a hypo.

hypo does need to be clearly defined in my oppinion by a figure of just how little black is allowed. the word hypo does mean less than normal so if its noticeabley less than normal i would say it can be defined as a hypo.

i however would prefer to get a NO black if i were going to get a hypo. but then would that be amelanistic? one spot of black on the end of the tail only would be a hypo but without it amelanistic... seems odd to define such a large distinction with the colour of one scale? i dont think its wrong to call it a hypo if it has less melanin though. just think its up to you what to call your amelanistics.

I think that the term hypo should be held for a proven genetic trait not just a selectively breed animal. for example some boas and "ghost" ball pythons overseas have hypo genetics and can be used to create morphs using the same principal as albinos,caramels,pieds ect.

Attachments

• Male.JPG
    Male.JPG
    161.2 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_0931.JPG
    IMG_0931.JPG
    207.6 KB · Views: 43
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back