Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
As far as pets go our son got the first, lovely little hatchie Woma, then hubby got a yearling Olive & I got a yearling RSP & Woma. But we have always had all sorts coming through the door, (wildlife carers) & our son has always preferred big snakes like BHP, which is next on the list.

What also amuses me these days is ( and i say it with tongue in cheek as i do the same to a point because u can these days with digital cameras and all) can i have a pic of the hatchling available - which is fair enough - but then they then want pics of the parents ok... but then pics of the grandparents and then pics of available hatchling with and with out flash and it goes on and on lol lol, seriously come and have a look at it in person it's not that much of a challange lol.

Seriously 'we' have it good these days as when i started collecting you wanted a coastal and you got the coastal that was available at the time no choice....... this is it do you want it or not, and you were just blown away to be able to buy that coastal and look after it,watch it grow and it was the nicest coastal around because you owned it.

This hobby has come along in leaps and bounds in the last 10yrs and we do not realise how lucky we are to choose and own what we want these days......unfortunately people can't appreciate that these days as we know no bette.

PS
I do say this with amuesment.......not contempt as i now live in this day and age.

Cheers
Congo

I am basking in the availability of all the marvelous reptiles around, I think the breeders and enthusiasts have done an amazing job :) we are like kids in a Candy shop :)

Started with a jungle hatchy but that quickly eventuated to another, and another, and well.... you know how it goes ;)

I started with a bredli, then got a jungle and now own an olive. Yeah I'd say they are getting bigger.

A stimmie who is still my fav:) then an adult jungle I named "phantom".
Now have 45 odd pythons with the largest being an olive:)
Reptile keeping should def come with a warning, eg a very, very addictive hobby!

Still going with the time line,my worse part of early herp keeping experiences.... is missing the 'home' phone call of do u want this olive hatchy too wait for it...... my older brother who said yes i would love it and then two years later loosing interest.
But i won out in the end and got it given to me as he was moving down to Canberra. I have now bred her three times and her next suiter is an Albino boy toy that hopefully likes the 'bigger' girls lol.
As said in the good old days you got what you were offered lol, very different these days.

Last edited:
I started out with coastals there still some of my favorites

I started out at the age of 7 with a 'Slow worm'. A legless lizard my dad caught at work in the UK. We had him for a few years, along with newts and toads before moving to Melbourne. I then got a Jungle, some Diamonds, childreni and water python. I then moved back to the UK and got a corn snake and leopard geckos. Now I'm back in Melbs I have adders and pythons ranging from stimmies to a huge jungle.

started with a jungle hatchling, then came 2 diamonds hatchling, then 2 Darwin hatchling and let them grow with us, now we just have our first clutch last December with the jungle, beauty hatchlings and hope to try the diamond this year.

I started with a Bredli hatchy, she was about 30cms long, now @ just over a yr she is 4 times the size. Watching her grow has been one of the best things about owning her, & will continue to be for awhile yet!! Im so slack though, after 6mths of having her, i still only have her.......but somehow ended up with 2 beardies & a bluetounge!! My next snakey friend shall be an albino Darwin, a jungle or an olive........or if i win the lotto, all 3!! :lol:

I started out with rbbs and copperheads that I'd catch, then moved on to pythons. I really, REALLY, miss the old days:D

i started off with a b/g jungle then got a bredli, then a md, then a olive, so i would say they r slowly growing in size, would love a scrubby one day.

I started out with rbbs and copperheads that I'd catch, then moved on to pythons. I really, REALLY, miss the old days:D

As a 14 year old we kept rbbs and browns in my mate's shed for a year with no parents ever finding out! I've always loved snakes but never kept one again until the missus (40 years later ha ha) announced she wanted a bhp 2 years ago. Now the balcony is filling with enclosures and I'm pretty sure the bhp is taking over the spare bedroom soon!

Last edited:
Its scarey hearing of all these rbbs and browns! lol just recently ( not so funny) a friend of ours was playing with a wild tree snake that bit him as he placed him back on the grass.....turns out it was a brown snake! he ended up in hospital 4 a wee while. Freaked me out because many a times i trusted his knowledge and handled snakes that were apparently 'just a tree snake' mind you he is only 18
:shock:

i had a trouser snake that i got since birth lol like to spit vemon from time to time to

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back