what do you do if you get bitten?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
:lol: I love the sense of humour on this thread. "Bite it back", "post pics", "take the snake to the vet" etec, that is really funny. You will get use to it snakkko. You may be nervous at first but it will pass really quickly. You've just been infected with that dreaded "snakebite" fear, "ah, I've been bitten by a snake" :lol: Their launch at you scares you more than the bite hurts

Get a copy of Rick Shine's book "Australian Snakes". Read it from cover to cover. When you have finished that get some husbandry literature and read that too. Then go talk to the breeder.
I spray F10 on all non venomous bites sites. Works for me.

Ive been bitten 8 times now and Ive have only had the snake just over a week. the first time he did it i didnt care but from then on I was freaked to put my hand near him when he was in the striking position. So to I got him out with a homemade coat hanger snake hook and placed him on mi hand which was flat on my bed. he bit a couple of times at my jumper but not my hand. then when you move you hand he bites it or latches onto it with its tail

but hey biting comes with the territory of owning a snake, all snakes bite thats what they do.

this may come as a surprise but ALL snakes do not bite. That reminds me of the mechanic that passes off a problem with your car he can't fix by saying "they all do that"

heyy, i have just bought myself a coastel carpet, he is only about 1 or 2, maybe even 3 months old, and everytime i go to pick him a he rears up at me and i chicken out (yes, he has nipped me a couple of times before-no sweat) but i get freaked out!

Congrats on your purchase.

Firstly, if you have just purchased him, he will need time to adjust to his new environment. Don't handle for at least two weeks, don't get in his face, make sure you have plenty of hides. You might need to cover the enclosure if it's in a high traffic area.

Secondly, get to know your snake, when he's asleep, in a hide or just plain curled up on a branch, chances are he doesn't want to be held. Look for the times when he's out exploring, that usually the best time to go for a hold as you're not disturbing him from sleep or rest, etc.

Good luck.

Picture142_2.jpg

my baby tried to eat me after i had him for a few weeks, he's calmed down alot now.

my biggest problem is that i get drunk and show my snakes off, and due to my intoxication i don't handle them properly and usually end up with a bite from each of them.

Get a copy of Rick Shine's book "Australian Snakes". Read it from cover to cover. When you have finished that get some husbandry literature and read that too. Then go talk to the breeder.
I spray F10 on all non venomous bites sites. Works for me.

Good Advice. Most peolple totally over react.

have been bitten hundreds of times.. never had a problem *shrug*
tho I may run around in circles screaming like a girl and wave my arms a bit in a dramatic fashion... ;P

I guess it depends on what you've been bitten by. If it's a Taipan, you start praying.

my scrubbie wacked me the other day, for the first time in months (my guard was down lol) and it hurt like hell. left a nice bruise, but i think she was hungry id just fed the other guys. id washed my hands but she still got me( thank god she didnt hang on)

my biggest problem is that i get drunk and show my snakes off, and due to my intoxication i don't handle them properly and usually end up with a bite from each of them.

Might I suggest if you're going to get drunk, lock the snake cabinet first and give someone else the keys before you harm the snake.

if it bites.... try not to pull away.
if it doesnt let go.
i generally use metho. they cant stand the smell. just dab a little bit near where they latched on and they should let go within 30 secs.

i think there are a few vens that would give him a nasty boo boo and yes seek medical aid .........if non ven then common sense treat it like a dog bite CLEAN it well but like was said peeps onb here want to see BLOOD so take a pic b4 u clean it .if snake wont let go spray the snake with water .//// if of course its a ven lol dont wash wrap with bandage and ring 000 .............but i doubt your getting a ven .........so have fun with your python and it will love you as much as you love it .well thats not true it will love its feeds more then you ........redbellybite

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back