what do you do if you get bitten?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If it's a taipan, brown, adder ect. you go to the hospital, if it's a python, you wipe off the blood and go back to what you were doing.

try not to pull away even thought it is a automatic reatction it does the snake more harm than u cheers debbie :lol:

Make sure you your tecnis shots are up to date also.

when my baby struck me she didnt let go so i left her there and started watching tv after 45mins relising she couldnt kill my hand she let go

if they bite you and dont let go put a few drops of water into thier mouth they will drop you like instantly (well in my cases any way)
cheers

I only got my first bite today, off an 8mth old Stimmie - caught me by surprise....certainly didn't hurt...

You will hardly feel it touch you in a young snake but your hand will itch for 5 minutes afterwards (like when a cat scratches)...absolutely nothing to worry about...

i guess that might work a guy in oakligh in vic had a 10ft olive that latched on to my fingers he put detol on its nose and it let go but my snake doesnt even strike at me now

Most hatchies are a bit bitey but often grow out of it by the time they are 1-2 years old. But, by the time s/he is full grown you will be well use to it's habits and over your fear of being bitten.

lol that is true but gosh I'm not looking forward to the day my big girl bites again :? here mouth is huge check it out lol. I've been bitten 5 times by here some small soft one and some real painfull and me passing out from the blood ones :lol: if its just a python no need to panic just take a picture first, then rince it in water and it should be fine. I've been bitten pretty bad by her that right hand if a bit stiff now and that was about a year ago that one happened. but hey biting comes with the territory of owning a snake, all snakes bite thats what they do. And I still love them so yes you get used to it but you still get a heart attack when they all of a sudden lash out at ya :lol:

good luck on your new snake to be as long as its not venomous you will be fine.
cheers Jody

Try not to pull away otherwise you might break some fangs off in your hand. Most times they will let go by themselves, just relax put the snake back in enclosure and wash the blood off under some clean running water. Some antiseptic on the punctures is also a good idea.
But if it wont let go and coils you :lol: dont panic. I"ve found putting their head under cold running water usually gets them to let go and uncoil. Keep trying this untill it lets go.
They usually only bite for two reasons.
(1) Defensively because they feel threatened and usually they let go straight away.
(2) They think your food and probably will hang on. This is usually the result of having mice or rat smell (or even chicken) on your hands and triggers a feeding responce.
Bottom line is usually doesn't hurt a great deal, but an adult can bruise you if they hit hard :D

if its big and wont let go drizzle water or alcohol down to the bite site, this will cause a instant relese, then cry lol

You could even try blowing at its face before the running water cause its quicker :)

try and get that photo while the snake is still attached then one after it lets go cus everyone can make photos of snake bites lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back