Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

salebrosus

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
This is a general question for the experienced herpers out there as to what markings a coastal carpet should have. I was always told that it should not have the skull and crossbone patterns that Jungles and Cape Yorks have on their heads. I've had people try to sell me their coastals as i'm after a female for my Brutus but they have all had the skull and crossbone pattern. We had an accidental breeding this year between my Cape York and Coastal and all of the offspring come out with a straight line down the back and skull and crossbone patterning.
Can anyone show or tell me what i am suppose to be looking for?

Simone.

Hey Simone.

I have no idea. I used to think it was determined by their colour! Just recently found out that my coastal carpet female is actually a coastal/jungle x, which makes her offspring to Isosceles, a palmerston jungle, three quarter jungle.

Yeah, I'm confused! Top question, I look forward to reading what people have to say.

Cheers, Lily

McDowelli are highly variable being over such a large area, colouration and patterning can be dependant on habitat, a QLD Carpet from the Rainforests SEQ would have a different appearance to one from the Dry Slerophyll Forests of Gladstone, some coastals in the Northern parts of their range will have a skull and cross bone pattern like that of a Jungle or Atherton Carpet, there is no key way to say exactly what it is by patterns alone.

Carpets are EXTREMLEY variable even in the same area and habiat, they can come in just about any and every colour and pattern you can imagine. I relocated snakes on the sunshine coast for nearly 15 years and the list of colours and patyerns is almost endless, some with head markings like northern carpets but just not as pronounced.

This opens up the old debate of whether there are in fact any sub-species of carpet pythons. The Vic Dept of Wildlife only recognise Bredli as a separate species and all other carpet pythons are just carpet pythons. Some "experts" refute that Bredli is a separate species.
Personally I feel people on this site get way too caught up in their "varieties". I like a snake that looks good and I frankly wouldn't care what its background was.
How many times have you seen someone post photos of their "thoroughbred" jungle or coastal etc to have averyone pick at them and doubt the "purity" of their snake.
People like snakes with colour. Breeders will want snakes that sell and colourful snakes sell the best. I think people get too weighed down with this concept of "thoroughbred" varieties.
It appears many people who post to this site think that they have got "thoroughbreds" which other people think are not.
Is a "throwback" from a coastal which looks remarkably like a coastal/diamond cross really a coastal? Considering both snakes are scientifically the same (according to a lot of people) what is the difference between a coastal which looks like a diamond cross as compared to an actual cross as compared to a diamond which is a "throwback" and looks like a coastal cross?
If you see a snake you like, be happy with it in the knowledge that you have got an attractive carpet python.
BTW I think I've got room for one more snake at home and I think the snakes I like the look of best are coastal/diamond crosses. If anyone has an attractive yearling for sale let me know.

Coastal/diamond crosses are beautiful. How so was that big girl of petejohnston67's. She was a stunner. I'm really pleased to hear you say this. I think my "Oops" clutch are gorgeous. They've just had their first shed and are really pretty little wigglers, whatever their lineage!

Thankyou to all who have posted their opinions. My little accidents while nippy at present are my bundles of joy. i'll sell all but one though. If i could i'd keep all.

Simone.

re What

The government is working on this problem by the year two thousand and twenty no python will live as an intergrade in poverty :p

Correct me if I am wrong, A "Cape York" carpet python is just a Coastal Carpet with a name of location and slightly different look..
Both are Mcdowelli?

I didnt think that Cape York were variegata.

please set me straight on this. :wink:

playwell said:
Correct me if I am wrong, A "Cape York" carpet python is just a Coastal Carpet with a name of location and slightly different look..
Both are Mcdowelli?

I didnt think that Cape York were variegata.

please set me straight on this. :wink:

Playwell,
It would seem that the 'Captive' population of what we consider to be Cape York carpets is tainted, as one of the original breeders of the Cape york from which alot of captive animals appear to have stemmed from, they were originally bred with a male variegata with a female true cape york mcdowelli.
So now most people consider there cape yorks to be intergrades.

Neil

NCHERPS said:
So now most people consider there cape yorks to be intergrades.
Neil

So thats why I have seen them advertised as "True Cape York Carpet Python"

So in truth the Cape York is in fact a Northern Coastal Carpet. or Cape York Coastal Carpet. - Mcdowelli.

North Western species or "Darwin Carpet Python. - Variegata.

Biteandsqueeze: I agree with you completely! All the posturing & bickering back & forth about what is or isn't a "purebred" & the elitism is very offputting to the "Average Joe" who just want to own a beautiful snake. Still, in any community (about any thing really) there will always be the elitism & I guess it does have its place...after all providing free amusment for the "plebs" is what life is all about right?! :lol:

Kath

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back