What happened to these people?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ad

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

My wife bought me a reptile book from a second hand shop. (because it had a boyds on the cover)
It was written in the 60's by a guy called Harry Frauca.
It is a bit before licensing systems I'd say because they are out there collecting wilds specimens.
2 guys from Bundaberg, Terry Ellis and Peter Barry were catching these animals for a reptile park up there.
You should see how he catches a lace monitor. Brave lad.
He climbs way up high in the tree after it, lets it cling onto his arm and climbs down - then the next shots are all of him trying to peel it off him again. Ouch! you should see how its claws have hold of his wrist.
The next they catch is a huge python. Way up a tree too. They climb on up after it and pass it down to each.
Even just as amazing to me is this old dude (even in the 60's he looked 60) With his hat and semi formal clothing
Mr R Humphries - He was from Far North Queensland and there is a great shot of him -Huge Scrub Python in 1 hand and a fruit bat in the other. The scrubby was 18 foot long.
He is also holding a Perentie and Rusty monitor in another shot.
All these guys seem very knowledgable and it is a good read but I cant help wondering what happened to these people. I have never heard there names mentioned before.
Did they build the reptile park, Did Mr R Humphries discover specimans - if this elderly guy was handling animals all his life he must have started very early in the 1900's sometime.
Cheers
Ad

i have heard of terry ellis somewhere along the track.

second hand book stores are great iv found a few good herp books at them

certainly are. I went to one with no money recently, and theere were 3 copies of coggers 6th edition went back 2 days later - all gone :(

No thats Mr humphries from "are you being served" they are talking about. He works in retail! Along with mrs Slocam and her pussy! lol :I remember that one was always talking about his snake! :twisted:

Last I heard, he went off to measure an inside leg and never returned! lol :p

I have that book, he catches the carpet in a tea tree swamp. is it Australian reptile wonders

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back