Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nikki.

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
I was thinking of what i want in my reptile collection when i have more experiance with my first snake pretzel

In my collection i thought i might want a monitor , lizard or gecko that grows not very big , placid, eats vegetables and most importantly easy to keep

nikki

A Bluetongue or a Bearded Dragon would be the easiest lizards. For monitors i'd say a Ridge-tailed Monitor, although Pygmy Mulga's and Storr's would be relatively easy to care for also.

how big do they get - i'm researching early

Monitors dont eat vegies though, they are carnivorous

A good starter monitor would be a Pygmy Mulga Monitor - Varanus Gilleni. They love their meat and insects, will take on garden spiders no worries. But not the easiest animal to handle.

I would recommend a Beardie, fun loving, the tolerate being handled and will eat a fair few veggies as adults. But if you are truly set on a monitor, go the Gilleni.

Kane

Adult male (Spike)
IMG_3103.jpg

IMG_3104.jpg

Adult male (Rocky)
reps6307003.jpg

reps6307005.jpg

Baby beardie hatching(Rocky's children)
mybabies003.jpg

mybabies007.jpg

Juvie beardie
reps6307001.jpg

Storr's any Pygmy Mulga's generally reach about 40cm, whilst Ridge-tailed Monitors get up to about 70cm.

MrB, I looked into getting some Storrs a while back, they are class 2 in NSW. Only Gilleni, Ackies, Black Headed monitors and Gouldii allowed on class 1 in NSW.

A gillens would be the only one I could recommend as a first monitor to a young girl with a class 1 Lic. Ackies and tristis can give a painfull bite. Monitors only use vegetables to hide under though. Gillens need to be fed live insects.

Yeah i thought they might have been Class 2, wasn't too sure but couldn't be bothered checking. The Pygmy Mulga's are just as good anyway Nikki, so don't be sad. ;)

Pygmy Mulgas are awesome! :D One of the least aggressive of the monitors, full of character, great size, easy to keep and breed :)

Southern Angle Headed Dragons are an easy lizard to keep, your Dad can help you set up the enclosure and they don't need heat just a UV light. Only drawback they are a litle more expensive than a beardie...don't have as much personality as well. Maybe a Chrissy and birthday presant combined. No second thoughts go the Beardie, there a good kids pet, they like the interaction.
Good Luck Nikki...there all good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back