Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hindy

Reaction score
I was looking at a spotted but I'm not sure. I wan a snake that I can handle and not get bitten too often. What's are yur thoughts?

WOO HOO!!!!!! I knew id see this post soon enough!! ;) Aaron, get the snake u like the look of most, if that is a spotted, go with that, do all the research you can & go from there. Matilda is the greatest first snake for me, however bredli's are not for everyone, mostly due to size.

NO snake really 'enjoys' being handled, they more so tolerate it. ALL snakes are capable of biting, but it really doesnt hurt that much, its more the 'shock' of it that scares you, which with time you learn to overcome to a degree. You learn to 'read' the signs, if hungry, best not to handle, if shedding, best not to handle, & after handling your lizards etc, wash your hands before attempting to handle your snake.......other then that.......JUST DO IT!! U wont regret it, & your mum will come around! ;)

As Bel said - get what suits your prefernces - firstly in size, then in patterns and color. All snakes can bite, especially hatchies, mainly because at that size they are on most critters menus. For a begginer probably a good idea to steer clear of the larger snakes such as Water Python, Olives and Scrubbies (Shame on you SYNer :lol::lol::lol:). Probably helpful to have a bit of experience before being handling a large critter that may overpower you.

Regards Col

I agree with everone in get the snake you like the most and have the room to house as an adult.
I have stimsons which are more aggressive than my jungles.
If your getting a hatchie most of them are pretty snappy anyway regardless of the species.
You will just have to learn quickly to know the signs when it's about to strike.
No matter what snake you get as your first, be prepared to get tagged at one time or another.

first snake was a Bredli who is demon spawn...ugh...I have to treat her like she's a vens.
If I had my time again I'd def. go for a Woma as a first snake.
The pair I have are just sweethearts even if my male is a bit of a special needs kid.

By the way, pay no notice of my fb pic this morning ;) i didnt take my own advice, & that is what happens if you go into their enclosure smelling like dinner!! :lol:

She is usually a big sweetheart! :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back