What to do about the Gallery

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What should we do to replace the old Gallery?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Administrator

Okay, we all know it. The Gallery just isn't working the way it should. For 90% of users it's fine, but for the rest, you can't do anything. I've decided it's time to do something about it as I have run out of options in terms of fixing it. Please let me know what you think.

Photobucket, Flickr etc are free, get rid of it, save yourselves bandwidth and server space and people can put a link to their own gallery in their profile.

The problem with that is in order to submit photos, they must be public. With on site galleries or forums, people can be confident that their photos can only be viewed by members, not the entire world.

The problem with that is in order to submit photos, they must be public. With on site galleries or forums, people can be confident that their photos can only be viewed by members, not the entire world.

really i dodn't know that. I think i'll start using the gallery more often now.

Best you wait until we implement the new solution. I'm still not 100% how photos will be migrated.

You can link your photos from photobucket to a thread without your gallery being public.
Or you can set up a 2nd gallery just for herp shots and make that public. Not a lot of diference between letting the whole world view your herp pics or letting the thousands of APS members view them.
I don't use the gallery so it doesn't bother me, I personally find it has too many limitations so I'd rather use photobucket.

Magpie, I agree that it's not much difference, but others see it differently.

Also, if you put in a link, guests can still click that link. Attachments and Galleries are only viewable by members.

I know what you're saying. I generally only use Photobucket ATM, but i do like the idea of only members seeing my pics.

I didn't notice we were having that many problems with our gallery...?

I'm voting to not go for a forum to share photos because I think that would amount to alot of extra bandwidth and alot of unnecessary 'bumping'.

i think the gallery is still a good feature to have as i from time to time get bored and just browse though the current gallery is terible to navigate so perhaps a revamped gallery would work well
cheers

Replacing the Gallery or fixing it so it actually works would be nice, I can't access it but my mother who joined up around a week after I did can. It's not fair :(

It would be good to have a feature that searches for different types of pythons (eg. if you want to see some members examples of Jungle Pythons but don't know which members have them, you could search "jungles" and every photo labelled 'Jungle' would come up to view). Then maybe people could note that they should include the type of snake in the description of the picture so it's easier to search too. A few times i've wanted to search different species of snakes and monitors but haven't been able to. If there is a way to do this.... then tell me!!!!

y not do both Replace it with a Gallery system that actually works and get a forum dedicated for people wanting to post photos. ........

i didnt evan no there were any probz with the gallery

I'd prefer to not do both just because it will be confusing.

It doesn't really bother me, i used it the other day and didn't work...no biggy....we can survive without 1000's of personal galleries

But in saying that i would still like to see APS outings in the forum gallery...

Also....getting rid of the gallery all together will bump up the amount of
"show us your <insert reptile here> pics"
threads in the forums...

I will attempt to do the upgrade tonight. There may be a short period of downtime while this occurs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back