what to do after a snake has bitten

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dbr0000

Reaction score
hi everyone just need a bit of help with a problem i have at the moment. ive been keeping pythons for just over a year now having a 18mth old murry darling and a 6mth old bredli. 3wks ago i got a 3yr old water python which is about 6ft off of a good friend of mine. she has a good natrue and hasnt bitten since sha was a hatchling. the last 3wks ive had her she has been really good and carm. ive been feeding her on sundays like she always has done. last nite i had her out before i feed her and my 5yr old girl wanted to hold her as she always does she loves snakes. i made her sit down and i put the snake on her lap the snake just sat there with her head on her arm for 5mins then she just opened her mouth and latched on to her arm and woundnt let go. what im trying to find out is is it that she was just hungry or is she likly to attack again. i dont really want to get rid of her as my kids are attatched to her. im not letting them hold her now but still want myself. any bits of info would b a great help. cheers

To me, it dosnt sound like an act of aggression or a defencive bite.
When a snake bites and holds on, that is a food responce.

Did or had your daughter been playing with a cat/dog/rabbit ect before handling?
It would have smelt something and decided to have a taste.

I wouldnt worry too much, just wash the kids before letting them handle any of your collection.

thanks i was hoping it was a food thing just needed to hear it from someone else as it the 1st time one of us have been bitten. we always put the reptihand hand wash on b4 opening the vivs. i think ill just keep an eye on her for a while and just not let the kids hold her yet

hang on , you feed the snake on a sunday night [ every sunday night] and yet you wonder why it latched onto your kids arm on a sunday night ?

maybe im missing something .........its called being hungry..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back