Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
as much as i hate how redbellie comes across in her threads sometimes i think she nailed the first post she did
then it was followed with any Keepers want to have/ collect some WC's
after that she went typical redbellie again...
but so did a couple others....
educating the general public is first step.... i used to kill snakes due to the way my family is and the to protect my family reason, wasn't till i later learned to appreciate them through being bit, then i did a ven handling course and it woke me up to a majority of the myths... this will flare the flamers but i have relocated a couple times back home within 5km of location for friends of mine..... all are ready with the shovel if i say i can't come or if i tell them to just leave it be it will move on, and this is because they hate them and won't pay for a catcher to relocate them.... so i did it for them, it's frustrating as hell when they are stuborn... just like my family, they won't call. it's straight to the brooms or shovel, and the victims were often keelbacks, young EB's and GTS's.
i understand why snake catchers charge, it's like jonno said. fuel, time, calls, occupational risk ect.
some are bit much, but there are catchers out there that only ask for fuel cover as they enjoy the thrill of a catch, and have a love and respect for reptiles at thier best, in nature. thats my drive as well.

i've learnt that they Will leave you alone if You leave them alone, even in the pit......
they are an animal with the potential to kill. they don't look to kill us and will generally get out of our way at all cost.....

this thread reminded me of a catcher a friend of mine called around for a brown in her yard. his charge was $20 for not finding it, and $50 for finding it.
then he rocks up in thongs, t shirt and stubbies. goes looking for it for 10 mins then tells her that a slow moving snake is a ven, and 1 that is really on the go is a python!!!!:shock:
the reasons being that a ven and colubrid doen't need to work hard to find or kill it's food so therefore it moves slow all the time. and that python is fast non stop because it's gotta constrict and hunt further distances......!!!
i was just ***, did he look like he was on drugs???:shock:
and followed on and explained some of the differences to her,
so sometimes it's a wonder how a few removers even get thier permit to start with,

anyway this thread kinda went of topic big time:rolleyes::lol:

to be fair, i was being a big ignoramus in earlier threads and provoking response so deserved comments i got, at least i got a bit of a laugh out of it.

For what its worth, i'll restate.. ive cleared 40 odd grevilias i put in 4 years ago, clear our 30m of huge rock wall, leveled my rose and gardenia garden from near hous and now have just plain old boring lawn around the whole house so as not to attract any snakes near my kids.

this significantly changed my yard, but had to do this to keep family safe(R)

I have no stuff laying around, except for beside shed, but i have 200m of double width lillypily hedge 7ft tall, full of green frogs, 100m of muraya hedge and 100m of bottle brush hedge, plus big dam. and we breed silkie chicks and have 4 chicken pens so will always have some rats and mice

yes we have 2 snake bit kits and id sheet on laundry wall

yes kids are always taught snakes are danger, and i did not show my little one this one i picked up and had on my hand, arm neck.

the place is a veritable annimal haven, including snakes, with no dogs or cats to bother them... im happy to live with non vens, but this post was about seeking a solution to vens, im not a mindless destuctive killer, but will do ANYTHING to remove harm/ risk to my kids...

yes atm myself and redbellybite are working out a positive solution for you... ill be making a trip to see you soonish to have a look around

to be fair, i was being a big ignoramus in earlier threads and provoking response so deserved comments i got, at least i got a bit of a laugh out of it.

For what its worth, i'll restate.. ive cleared 40 odd grevilias i put in 4 years ago, clear our 30m of huge rock wall, leveled my rose and gardenia garden from near hous and now have just plain old boring lawn around the whole house so as not to attract any snakes near my kids.

this significantly changed my yard, but had to do this to keep family safe(R)

I have no stuff laying around, except for beside shed, but i have 200m of double width lillypily hedge 7ft tall, full of green frogs, 100m of muraya hedge and 100m of bottle brush hedge, plus big dam. and we breed silkie chicks and have 4 chicken pens so will always have some rats and mice

yes we have 2 snake bit kits and id sheet on laundry wall

yes kids are always taught snakes are danger, and i did not show my little one this one i picked up and had on my hand, arm neck.

the place is a veritable annimal haven, including snakes, with no dogs or cats to bother them... im happy to live with non vens, but this post was about seeking a solution to vens, im not a mindless destuctive killer, but will do ANYTHING to remove harm/ risk to my kids...

understand what you are getting at, yes they are a risk to kids, bite is unlikely, but still a risk. even if you did a course and learnt how to catch them so you dont have to worry about calling people all the time, or start trapping mice and rats from your chicken pens, we keep chickens and birds aswell. we have lots of rats and mice, but seem to lack in snakes. we could go there on a night and set a few mouse traps and catch about 7 mice, also lift up tin and grab mice and rats, which end up getting a plank of wood or an axe hitting them, we got down there numbers a lot. maybe start baiting, risk that they will crawl into chicken pen and chickens will eat them and die, we have seen our chickens eat mice, we have actually fed some to them, they eat anything :lol: hope somebody or something helps to solve your problem, do you know how to identify all the local snakes, cause you would be getting some species which are mildy venomous and are no threat aswell and dangerous ones. thanks.

to be fair, i was being a big ignoramus in earlier threads and provoking response so deserved comments i got, at least i got a bit of a laugh out of it......WELL Craig this is something when can agree on :) ...sturdy is a good guy and hope between you and him your encounters shall be more of a pleasant experiance then an over dramatised fear ...I am sooooooooo glad Craig you have seen the light mate.. best of luck and give us updates and more pictures in the future ..cheers :)

I charge 100 and that give you 1/2 hour on site, if you want longer its more.

I am based in the Logan area.

24/7.

To the people who knock the relocators that do it properly....without harming the snakes and that having Public liability insurance, are licenced and have the experience to deal with any Australian snake safely, I suggest you work it out. (Having a crack at anyone in Particular)

Cheers,
Scott
0419 328 251

ok another unknown snake what sort is this caught in garden very slow moving in the cold multch.

Attachments

• unknown 55cm snake.jpg
    unknown 55cm snake.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 70
how much is it generaly to get a snake catcher to remove a snake??
i was under the assumption it was quite expensive...

from my understanding theres quite a few people with damage mitigation permits who will remove snakes for a small donation which often goes back into reptile conservation....obviously you have to find those ones though

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back