Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

carbrooksilkies

Not so new Member
Reaction score
We live on 5 acres and have had lots of snakes over the past few years, before having kids that was fine and we used to live and let live. My situation has now changed, last year my border collie was killed by a king brown, and i have 2 little girls 3 &1 wandering around my place. Does anyone have the number for any locals snake keepers in carbook that would be interested in wild snakes? Have had red belly black and brown in the last few days, at back door, and outdoor entertaining area and seeking someone who could get here in time. Last year we had 11 visitors that could have gone to better homes...

Unfortunately, taking snakes from the wild is not an option for most of us. Your best bet is to call a local snake catcher. I must commend you on your reluctance to use your shovel on these beautiful critters.

I would suggest making an area around your house that is snake proof/resistant. Remove any rubbish they can use to hide in around the house. Dont have a pond near the house. If possible put a solid fence around your yard that makes it hard or impossible for snakes to get in. Removing or killing snakes wont prevent others coming into contact with your dogs or children when they are outside, it is just a bandaid solution. It is also a very good idea to teach your children and dogs to leave snakes alone.

Just leave them be... Keep your dog away from them and it won't get bitten. Same goes for your family.. Just leave them alone and you will have nothing to worry about from them.

Move any debris from around the house to minimise their chances of coming close, or entering the house and you'll be apples.

Keep the grass short in a large area where the girls play and pick up anything that a snake can use to hide under. If there is no where to hide the snakes will stay out in the longer grass, they don't tend to like staying out in the open.

if you google snake catchers of the south east qld you will find a catcher that does your area...otherwise get in contact with your local council and they should point you in the right direction...last resort ring the EPA and find out who does your area...

thanks for replies, all really nice.
Already got rid of all gardens near house( 30m rock wall 40 big gevilies, rose garden, bottle brush and have turned the whole native scene that i created over 4 years into 1000m of grass , grass is always short
but i have 200m of 6ft high lilly pilly hedge with millions of frogs, plus i breed silkie chickens so have rats and mice on and off at times.

so whatever i do im always going to have snakes, kids no not to go near snakes but we are always outside and always in the chicken pen/ horse paddocks so i will always come across these.
I have never been able to get a snake catcher when i need one, always weekends, and once too late.

So am only left with present solution and method that i have had to deal with about 28 odd snakes over past 5 years, last summer was rediculous with 11 snakes of which 5 reb bellies, 4 brown and 2 green (thought they were brown)

I still have my green friend who regularly spends an afternoon in my letterbox and another in the hedge near the shed which have been regulars for the past year. So im not into "the only good snake is a dead snake thing" but I will not take any risks with family after losing a dog and having 2 very close calls myself last year.

So i ask the question again, is there anyone local to carbrook that would be interested in a phone call on the off chance to collect a bucket containing a green, brown or black new best friend.

I use a 10ft long telescopic tree lopper so im not brave or stupid but have caught these and released prior to losing my dog.

You gotta do what it takes to protect your family.
Dont let anyone else tell you any different.
So sorry about the dog, that would of almost kill'd me.

thanks for replies, all really nice.
Already got rid of all gardens near house( 30m rock wall 40 big gevilies, rose garden, bottle brush and have turned the whole native scene that i created over 4 years into 1000m of grass , grass is always short
but i have 200m of 6ft high lilly pilly hedge with millions of frogs, plus i breed silkie chickens so have rats and mice on and off at times.

so whatever i do im always going to have snakes, kids no not to go near snakes but we are always outside and always in the chicken pen/ horse paddocks so i will always come across these.
I have never been able to get a snake catcher when i need one, always weekends, and once too late.

So am only left with present solution and method that i have had to deal with about 28 odd snakes over past 5 years, last summer was rediculous with 11 snakes of which 5 reb bellies, 4 brown and 2 green (thought they were brown)

I still have my green friend who regularly spends an afternoon in my letterbox and another in the hedge near the shed which have been regulars for the past year. So im not into "the only good snake is a dead snake thing" but I will not take any risks with family after losing a dog and having 2 very close calls myself last year.

So i ask the question again, is there anyone local to carbrook that would be interested in a phone call on the off chance to collect a bucket containing a green, brown or black new best friend.

I use a 10ft long telescopic tree lopper so im not brave or stupid but have caught these and released prior to losing my dog.
so your saying your not prepared to get a licensed snake catcher but you risk harming yourself and the snakes by using a barbaric instrument ?...like I said RING YOUR COUNCIL ..RING YOUR LOCAL POLICE...GOOGLE ON THE INTERNET you will find a snake catcher that has a LEGAL PERMIT FROM THE EPA that can help you in that situation :|...what people have to understand is ,if everyone took that attitude I have to do what I need to do by my kids, and take it upon themselves illegally to remove ,kill or capture snakes,why have laws in the first place ?? why not let people that want them as pets go out and catch what they want ,,why not just ignore exotic rules and get ya hands on those corns that alot seem to want ...why not become a poacher and make big bucks ...take the law into your own hands why not .......who cares that snakes are protected and its illegal ..I AM PROTECTING MY INTERESTS.......:rolleyes:.......as a snake catcher i have to keep within the law,how hypocritical of me to go along with the lame excuses that are constantly popping up on the forum ,justifying why people do illegal activities where snakes are concerned....SO I WONT GO ALONG WITH THE REST .....wake up and act like a responsible adult and respectable human being and do the RIGHT thing by the snakes involved..be more vigillant when outside ,if you see a snake in your yard take your kids inside,and watch where it heads off to ,make your kids aware of snakes and if they are of an age that they are to young keep them inside to play untill the snake has gone..its not going to hide and wait in ambush untill your children surface again,its going on its own business and sometimes it interacts with what your doing ...they are not out to get you or your pets on purpose,the amount of snake bites in our country per year is small considering how many snakes there are in our country...

I was going to say call a snake catcher....but suddenly I dont think I want to get involved....:|

Dont want to cause any arguments.;)

so your saying your not prepared to get a licensed snake catcher but you risk harming yourself and the snakes by using a barbaric instrument ?...like I said RING YOUR COUNCIL ..RING YOUR LOCAL POLICE...GOOGLE ON THE INTERNET you will find a snake catcher that has a LEGAL PERMIT FROM THE EPA that can help you in that situation :|...what people have to understand is ,if everyone took that attitude I have to do what I need to do by my kids, and take it upon themselves illegally to remove ,kill or capture snakes,why have laws in the first place ?? why not let people that want them as pets go out and catch what they want ,,why not just ignore exotic rules and get ya hands on those corns that alot seem to want ...why not become a poacher and make big bucks ...take the law into your own hands why not .......who cares that snakes are protected and its illegal ..I AM PROTECTING MY INTERESTS.......:rolleyes:.......as a snake catcher i have to keep within the law,how hypocritical of me to go along with the lame excuses that are constantly popping up on the forum ,justifying why people do illegal activities where snakes are concerned....SO I WONT GO ALONG WITH THE REST .....wake up and act like a responsible adult and respectable human being and do the RIGHT thing by the snakes involved..be more vigillant when outside ,if you see a snake in your yard take your kids inside,and watch where it heads off to ,make your kids aware of snakes and if they are of an age that they are to young keep them inside to play untill the snake has gone..its not going to hide and wait in ambush untill your children surface again,its going on its own business and sometimes it interacts with what your doing ...they are not out to get you or your pets on purpose,the amount of snake bites in our country per year is small considering how many snakes there are in our country...

I can't see how a response like that is helping. You have a non snake person who cares enough to ask for help on a reptile forum, and you hammer them for not knowing all the laws reguarding keeping native fauna and for having a natural fear of snakes and wanting them off their property as they have kids and animals. An extemely high percentage of land owners just remove snakes themselves in several pieces, save your aggression for them.

I can't see how a response like that is helping. You have a non snake person who cares enough to ask for help on a reptile forum, and you hammer them for not knowing all the laws reguarding keeping native fauna and for having a natural fear of snakes and wanting them off their property as they have kids and animals. An extemely high percentage of land owners just remove snakes themselves in several pieces, save your aggression for them.
jason if you botherd to read back further you would have seen me offer advice to what to do ,,,,,

if you google snake catchers of the south east qld you will find a catcher that does your area...otherwise get in contact with your local council and they should point you in the right direction...last resort ring the EPA and find out who does your area...
you see jason read mate you might find out that little bit more ....i accept your appology;)

why is it ok for people to point out thats its illegal to cross breed pythons and to have exotics blah blah blah and thats accepted by members , but when pointing out ,after you have told the person where to get advice or help in regards to venomous snakes on property..everyone gets up in arms,and if you tell it to them straight about what they are doing is wrong...double standards, happens alot in regards to the snakes on here , if someone was catching pythons or some other harmless snake with a tree lopper it would raise a situation but its just a ven so who cares ......I dont regret what I have said , I did inform the person in an earlier post, who to contact ,which obviously wasnt good enough ,and so by asking people on here to come to her place illegally and remove the ones she is catching illegally and with a barbaric tool and I get the flames .go figure that one .....and as far as Jason jellybean I have no hard feelings towards him at all ...he expressed himself he just didnt read a little further back thats all .......oh and ben nothing wrong with a little arrogance it builds character:)

ok i just got on the website and your carbrook area EPA licensed mitigation permit holder to legally come and catch and remove snakes from your place is Geoff Jacobs and his number is 0402 016 220.......he is a very qualified man ,and a nice bloke at that to..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back