Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nemooy

Reaction score
Could someone please tell me what sort of beardie I have. He is about 2 years old and I bought him as just a bearded dragon. He is not as wide in the head and body as most of the others I have seen. He/she is not normally this wide but is sitting under the heat lamp.

Any info would be great.

Thanks
Nicole

PC120131.jpg

PC120132.jpg

PC120128.jpg

did you purchase it on licence? If so it should have the scientific name on the paperwork but i agree it does look like an easter (pogona barbata)

I think it's a vitticeps. Spines on the back of the head usually form a straight line on barbata. Also barbata typically lacks the lighter patterning on the back and the vivid tail stripes, and has a much more angular head. The spines on the chin and sides are fewer and not as large as those on barbata. I actually think it might be bred for scale reduction, a common trait in captive vitticeps breeding nowadays.

I think it's a vitticeps. Spines on the back of the head usually form a straight line on barbata. Also barbata typically lacks the lighter patterning on the back and the vivid tail stripes, and has a much more angular head. The spines on the chin and sides are fewer and not as large as those on barbata. I actually think it might be bred for scale reduction, a common trait in captive vitticeps breeding nowadays.

I beg to differ.

I also reckon that it's Pogona vitticeps, based on the fact that the scales around the base of the tail are heterogenous without the regularly spaced enlarged rows that are characteristic of P. barbata.

What species was it bought as? I didn't think that there was a species code for 'Pogona sp'.

Last edited:
Just throwing it out there, but I think more likely a hybrid than pure.
It is showing traits of both Centrals and Easterns.

I understand what you are both saying but the flank and head spines don't support your argument.

we all know its an eastern and these other people are wrong.

Last edited by a moderator:
Central.

Its almost too fat to tell!! ROFL... you need to get a pic of the back of its head if possible :) But looks like a vitticeps (central) to me. :) Its just your typical plain grey which are pretty uncommon these days!

Easterns

main.php

dragon_eastern_bearded_20070919_002-500x375.jpg

Centrals

800px-bearded_dragon_ryuu.jpg

BEARDED%20DRAGON%20W1.jpg

lizards-for-sale
lizards-for-sale

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back