Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Unfortunately mouth lining colour isn't a consistent characteristic for differentiating P.vitticeps and P.barbata either. Obviously it's not a front on photo but you can still tell it has a yellow mouth yet is obviously P.vitticeps. This is the exception to the rule but does occur.

Attachments

• P.vitticeps.jpg
    P.vitticeps.jpg
    168.9 KB · Views: 75
Cheers Jonno. I did digress earlier on the point of inbreeding, but I hadn't considered things like mules. I was more referring to the use of sexual separation in defining taxa. It's a very liquid concept anyway. On the point of the dragon, I shouldn't have tried to justify my opinion in the first place as the only reason for me claiming it was a vitticeps was its general appearance. But being the first one to say vitticeps I didn't want to look like i was pointlessly challenging the general opinion. Good to know my ID was correct. Thanks mate.

I always hated taxonomy in biology. So vague and contradictory. They define species as animals that can interbreed to produce fertile young but different species do that all the time!

Yeah I've just finished my first year of Zoology. Always loved latin names, but taxonomy itself is just plagued by too many differing opinions. It makes for a very interesting and informative topic if you can wrap your head around it, and keeps scientists on their toes as it's always changing, but it can be so confusing.

Taxonomy will never be an exact science - it is all about trying to strictly categorise what is really just points on a continuum.

By the way, I don't think it's P.vitticeps. The main reason for this is the fact that the spines on the back of the head are in an obvious big arc - one of the key identifying points of P.vitticeps is that those spines are in a straight line.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back