Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think you need to take some pictures, so we can say whether they're in inadequate conditions and underweight.

You say 150x150x150mm, I presume you meant cm..which is 5ftx5ftx5ft...

And like others have said, nothing wrong with a good length of time between feeds here and there. One of my Gaboons has only been fed once in two months, would you report me too? It's called keeping your snake in good condition rather than overweight.

He could be feeding them larger meals but less frequently, rather than more meals but of lesser size.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would ignore the fact that the corn snake is illegal, but I would be pestering them about ensuring that the animals are kept properly. Regular feedings, and regular cleaning, disinfecting, replacing water, substrate, etc.

Keeping a large diamond python (say 8ft) in a 3ft enclosure is NOT acceptable, and the enclosure should be at least 6ft across. A 3ft enclosure is for an NT woma, spotted python, or other small python. For larger pythons, say SA womas, diamonds, carpets, blackheadeds, etc, 6ft is required.

I would remind them that the corn snake is in fact illegal and if caught there could be a nasty fine involved, etc. It's not really worth it, and the other animals might be seized if NPWS find the corn snake in that collection at the same residence.

How correct regarding the Alcohol...u no nothing about r laws here so y would u state "who cares"...plz dont post stuff like that again ...its uncalled for when u dont know what us Aussies go through to keep Fauna of any type ...Ps im english and was for 36 yrs and i know the score

Because like it's stated by others, there is far more than one person keeping an illegal corn snake.

I know many people that keep venomous snakes illegally in the UK, but it's none of my business to go round telling the authorities.

a 7 year old diamond in a 3 foot enclosure is animal cruelty if we saw that in a pet shop we'd be dobbing them in.if someone posted a pic of a 7 year old diamond in a 3ft enclosure on here alot of people would go off about it being cruel. i would make a few phone calls about this. the corn i don't care who keeps them anymore they are everywere. the snakes should be feed more than once every 3 weeks for their age.

the best thing you can do is tell him its animal cruelty, and that he can build or buy cheap secound hand enclosures. if he refuses to give that diamond a bigger enclosure then dob him in.

i would not be friends with someone who is cruel to animals, as it upset me everytime i went over and saw adult snakes in small enclosures and knowing they have not been feed for 3 weeks. i rather have friends who care for their pets and put the animals welfare first insted of saving money by not feedin g them regularly and buying tiny enclosures.

Not enough is known for anyone to judge. How long is a 7 year old Diamond? My Mrs has a 5 year old imbricata that's always been a reluctant feeder, he wouldn't even have hit 4 foot yet. I have a male imbricata that's nearing 10 in a 4 foot enclosure, he has more than enough space. Note that only the length has been stated, without total dimensions how can any of you sit in judgement? The snakes may well be housed inadequately but that cannot be discerned from the information provided.

I'm not able to get pictures but I know for a fact he doesn't take much care of them considering he and his family went to America for a month and just left the snakes..... With no one looking after them..

Because like it's stated by others, there is far more than one person keeping an illegal corn snake.

I know many people that keep venomous snakes illegally in the UK, but it's none of my business to go round telling the authorities.
like wise here mate....i keep within the rules...but i also keep things i know to myself..(meaning others)...i look at it as none of my business.........gota laugh tho..other day bloke said to me " yer mat i got a Burmese"...he showed me a video on his phone of a under weight and sized COASTAL........and they know more than us lol

There is nothing wrong with going away for a month or more and leaving the snakes

So long as you have prepared for this there are few dramas
couple of extra big feeds a week before you go
few extra water bowls and go cruising

There is nothing wrong with going away for a month or more and leaving the snakes

So long as you have prepared for this there are few dramas
couple of extra big feeds a week before you go
few extra water bowls and go cruising

Agreed

I think we can all agree that without thorough evidence we cannot be certain that he is not taking care of them properly. Although you state that you know for a fact he isn't you also state that you couldn't get photos which I assume means you haven't been allowed access to his house and have properly viewed the snakes. (Correct me if I'm wrong)
Going away is not a huge problem once prepared and if I may ask, how do you know no one was coming in to look after it?
The corn is irrelevant and without further evidence of the snakes lifestyle I recommend you don't report him as it may be false information and you might kill 2 birds with one stone and lose a friendship as well as reporting false statements.

If however you manage to get photos, see the enclosures in person, possibly measure them and most importantly speak the the guy and get information as to how his animals are looked after or if they're cared for while away etc which isn't a problem anyway, you may be able to report him if you can prove a case of animal cruelty.

Just my 2 cents.

i warned them i told them to hand it into the australian reptile park otherwise ill report it, but now they are saying they will hand it over to the guy he originally got it from, which is worse because he will just sell it and it will still be kept illegally. but on a better note ive managed to get them to agree on getting larger enclosures, especially for the diamond.

i warned them i told them to hand it into the australian reptile park otherwise ill report it, but now they are saying they will hand it over to the guy he originally got it from, which is worse because he will just sell it and it will still be kept illegally. but on a better note ive managed to get them to agree on getting larger enclosures, especially for the diamond.

I doubt very much that the ARP would be interested in taking it given how common they are,every place that would be legally allowed to keep them would already have enough for their needs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back