Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I personally think the RSPCA don't care about anything that isn't furry and cuddly and gives them good publicity... so you will be wasting your time there for no result.
Also NPWS don't deal with exotics, it is DPI (Dept Primary Industries.)

Correct me if Im wrong but arent Corn Snakes Colubrids? They dont have the metabolism of a python and need to be fed a couple of times a week? At least that was my experience from when I kept Colubrids.

Report it mate, nobody has the right to do this to any creature. The problem is they will destroy the corn snake, and I dont think they should have the right to do this either. Corn snakes are quiet easy to get beleive it or not. I have encountered a few people with them, and its a shame they are illegal as they are very pretty.

Last edited:
Yeah their pretty but they aren't native and if they are released they could cause problems with wildlife like the cane toad did. Best stick to our native Aussies. They're prettier and cooler IMO anyway

I would report that guy!

Last edited by a moderator:
Build a bridge and get over it !!!!!!! If i had a dollar EVERYTIME a corn snake gets mentioned on here i would be close to a millionaire...As far as im concerned as long as i havent got any illegal animals who cares what others have..YES they are illegal..but NOTHING has been done in the past by the authorities nor will it in the future..Its a never ending battle...

Build a bridge and get over it !!!!!!! If i had a dollar EVERYTIME a corn snake gets mentioned on here i would be close to a millionaire...As far as im concerned as long as i havent got any illegal animals who cares what others have..YES they are illegal..but NOTHING has been done in the past by the authorities nor will it in the future..Its a never ending battle...

Cornsnake on its own is one thing yes, but all of his snakes are being cared for in the wrong way which may be bad for their health.

i would have a very, very stern talk to this person first and make it very clear to them that what they are doing is wrong, give them a chance to clean up their act and take some responsibility, if in a few weeks nothing has changed, report them. We, as reptile keepers, should have no sympathy for this kind of behaviour, there is absolutely no excuse for not giving your reptiles proper care.

if its the animals well being your concerned about spend 15 bucks and buy him 2 storage tubs as a gift for his snakes to live in..

Does he have a license??

Last edited:
Frankly I'd mind my own business... spend your time keeping your own backyard in order and keep your nose out of other people's affairs. Your assessment of the needs of these snakes is probably an overreaction because of your inexperience.

Jamie

Report him. He doesn't deserve these animals. If you loose a friend, who cares must not be a good friend if they leave you because you did the right thing.

I agree with python-rep.

Would you rather keep 1 friend or watch 3 beautiful animals suffer?
Mate do what is best for the animals, if he can't keep them in a healthy environment then he doesn't deserve them. He can forgive you and probably will and if he doesn't he wasn't a good friend anyway.

a 7 year old diamond in a 3 foot enclosure is animal cruelty if we saw that in a pet shop we'd be dobbing them in.if someone posted a pic of a 7 year old diamond in a 3ft enclosure on here alot of people would go off about it being cruel. i would make a few phone calls about this. the corn i don't care who keeps them anymore they are everywere. the snakes should be feed more than once every 3 weeks for their age.

the best thing you can do is tell him its animal cruelty, and that he can build or buy cheap secound hand enclosures. if he refuses to give that diamond a bigger enclosure then dob him in.

i would not be friends with someone who is cruel to animals, as it upset me everytime i went over and saw adult snakes in small enclosures and knowing they have not been feed for 3 weeks. i rather have friends who care for their pets and put the animals welfare first insted of saving money by not feedin g them regularly and buying tiny enclosures.

The corn snake could also be euthanised, correct me if im wrong.

The person keeping the corn snake should be euthanased and made to pay the bill to return the corn snake to a country where it can be kept legally. Just my thoughts.

If you are going to report him for a 3ft enclosure then all the people on here that keep theirs in tubs will be nervous ;] Random feeds are ok , dob me in too . The only issue should be are the cages clean and warm . I don't like the push by the Gov to make us a pack of dobbers , its un Australian .

Whilst u seem pretty certain that it is a corn snake......given either that's what he told you or that's what it is could there be a slightish element of doubt that it is a corn???

Not sure what the rules of the forum are but if u could get a "discreet" pic and post it we can actually confirm it is what it is purported to be.

Again, not trying to throw a spanner in the works but one would like to be absolutely sure about this.

I have seen what I have considered to be some quite badly kept animals in my time. HOWEVER......Snakes are designed very differently to most other animals and conditions that are ok to a seasoned herpetologist can often appear to the untrained eye as inhumane.
How many people have heard 3 foot this and 6 foot that from someone only to find both measurements are 4 foot. Men have got away with not being able to measure since time began isn't that right girls??
My view is unless you know what your looking at get someone else who does before you go dragging a perfectly good reputation through the mud.

How about talking directly to the BF, ignore the cornsnake being illegal talk to him about enclosure size and sound him out as to why he treats them this way. I also like the earlier idea, buy him a couple of decent size systema tubs to make into click clacks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back