Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mareebapython

Reaction score
does anyone have any substance they would recommend for my enclosures? ive been useing bark but got splinters from it and dont want my reptiles to get any..

I used critters before, nowadays I use red sand as my substrate of choice!

(depends wot you have)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I always recommend newspaper or baby towel for tubs or young snakes (for convenience also). For sand I suggest washed beach sand rather then red sand (at least not the fine grain) because I found it got underneath scales and in heat pits. I love bark or Kritter's Crumble (or the coir peat blocks) for display enclosures. Really depends on what you have, how old they are, and how often you're willing to maintain their enclosure.

...(at least not the fine grain

Interesting cause I was told differently!

2 breeders mentioned that a too coarse sand, if swallowed as it gets it their guts, its abrasive and can cause problems.

And in my case, (I have a Woma) they do exceptional well with desert sand.
(not too fine)

Again, depends what ones have!

Thanks for sharing.

Last edited:
I can't remember what brand it is now, but the sand was so fine it felt silky to the touch. I had to remove it after only a week because the snakes bathed constantly trying to get rid of it (and to this stay it is still stuck in the tracks >.<). I agree that of course sand could be damaging if swallowed, but I think if a good heat is kept up and the animal is well hydrated, then it shouldn't be too much of an issue. I guess it's all just different opinion :)

IOh, I think I know what you're talking about - I've bought it from Bunnings for my boy's sandpit, it's screen and washed Richgro play sand. $6 = 20Kg.
(in the past someone advised me to buy that for my snake too) - Stay way from it. We cannot even wash it off our feet before getting back in the house.

I wish I could use smileys on my phone for all my messages thought!!
It's a long journey home till I can access a PC. ZZzzzz

Last edited:
I have always used fine grade play sand(disinfected of course) for my desert species and i have never had problems with impaction. its cheap when you buy it in bolk. i have had some bad experinces with the reptile sands you can buy at pet stores. alot of them have dyes in it, and it stains your animal untell its next shed. what really bugs me is the sand with calcium in it. We are told its not good for our herps to injest sand yet at the same time respected reptile product companeys are selling this trash. sorry for the mini rant, i just had to put my two cents in.

Yup they say it's great for messes because it clumps when wet, then go on to say it's okay if you're reptile eats it (apparently clumping when wet is good for reptile bellies?).

@rvcasa, I'm surprised about that xD I think it depends on the grain. Only real reason/s I don't use any sand at the moment is because it gets in tracks (pet hate) and I don't own any desert species.

Even play sand should be washed and dried before use, you will be surprised what you find in there.
Not to mention the microscopic pieces of silica which are known to be a lung irritant.

In the years when I used it in aquariums I have found everything from hardware nails to bones:shock:

Even play sand should be washed and dried before use, you will be surprised what you find in there.
Not to mention the microscopic pieces of silica which are known to be a lung irritant.

In the years when I used it in aquariums I have found everything from hardware nails to bones:shock:

Really nails and bones? i have never found nothing like that in the sand i use. As far as the silica i have never thought of that. i forgot to add i never feed live pray in my terrariums with sand in them besides meal worms in dishes. thats probabley why i havent had impaction problems.

Last edited:
well now i know to stay well away from getting sand haha.. what would you recommend for a carpet python and a eastern water dragon?

I've used sand for a few years just swapped to astro turf today had no problem with my dragons, its just personal choice

...my dragon likes to dig a little hole and sleep in it.

Then perhaps desert sand is best option for you?

That's why I got desert sand anyway.
My Woma loves to dig out burrows, sometimes just hides his head and leaves whole body out. Like a cartoon ostrich - hilarious!

A after a mild spray, the sand becames hard. Easy to clean, not messy (or all over the place) and perfect for digging/burrowing.

Last edited:
Then perhaps desert sand is best option for you?

That's why I got desert sand anyway.
My Woma loves to dig out burrows, sometimes just hides his head and leaves whole body out. Like a cartoon ostrich - hilarious!

A after a mild spray, the sand becames hard. Easy to clean, not messy (or all over the place) and perfect for digging/burrowing.

my water dragon is always in and out of the water so sand will be no good..

my water dragon is always in and out of the water so sand will be no good..

So is my Woma lately, (coming into shed) so what's the problem?
It dries out and falls off.
My Woma rubs it off when unwanted, just like in the wild!

Good luck.

It really depends on what reptile you have as to which substrate you use;I would think that if your snake (for instance) comes from a desert environment you could use sand,if it comes from a jungle you should use the appropriate substrate.
I have central beardies which I keep in a desert type environment with sand,blue tongue in a bush type environment with wood chips.I admit I don't know a lot about snakes but I doubt many come from sandy environments so I wouldn't keep them in sand unless it was their natural surroundings.It all depends on their original habitat.
Paper is a poor choice that should only be used as a temporary substrate for quarantine purposes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back