Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cwebb

Reaction score
well i live in bathurst.. the home of the bathurst 1000. at the end of september every year, us locals start becoming extremely agitated.. "race bogans" drive practically the whole town mental. none of them can drive, which is ironic since they are obsessed with cars, the older males perve and their children run wild.

aside from complaining, having "the mount" (as we locals call it) in our town is pretty mad. its a good walking track if you can handle it ;) and as you can understand, us young kids spend a great deal of time driving around it and up the top at the lookout. we pretty much dont know what to do with ourselves when the track is closed before and during race week haha.

the mount also provides a good place for test driving cars - you dont realise how crap your car is until you are going up the mount haha.

more about bathurst.. our roads are RUBBISH, youll never see more pot holes in a regional city in your life. we are practically the only town in the western region that still does 45 degree angle parks on our streets, and nobody knows how to do that properly. we have a whole shopping centre that is practically empty aside from cotton on and coles.. its pretty depressing. its freeeeezing in winter which is a nightmare for keeping snakes. it is really hard to get a job here as all the uni students clean us out. kids are bored before 18 as there is pretty much nothing to do, and once you turn 18 you live at the ox (the towns only nightclub) every weekend. everyone complains and says they hate the ox, yeeett we all end up there every saturday night. (or if youre me, thursday.. friday.. saturday.. sunday sesh anyone?)
we dont even have a nice river to swim in and the fishing is rubbish. we do have a massive dam but that is fun if you have a boat!

aside from complaining.. i love bathurst. its my home. i could live here forever. everyone is dying to get out of this town but i dont think its so bad. afterall, it is my home.. and no matter where i go, im always glad to be back in bathurst. that never lasts long.. but i still love it here.

so whats so good about your town?

What's good about Campbelltown hmm... Um... The.. No.. Nothing at all i guess XD.

Well I live in Beerwah and all we have that most ppl know about is Australia Zoo. Other things would be the Glasshouse Mt's, some amazing bush walks and not to far away there's Maleny and Montville, the beach and some g8 places to go horse ridding!!!

Iv grown up in the area and tho I've moved away i always seam to find my way back! The down side would be that I see ppl who knew me back at school or just after and see me as the person I was back then and not who I am today!!!

Leaving is always great, hopefully permanently in the not too distant:)!

I'll miss the local environment (and some good herping adventures) but not too many of the locals. Don't stay in your hometown all your life or you have no option but to end up a local bogan and the sad part is you won't even know it's happened IMO. It seems most sensible people leave (for a career, or for whatever reason).

That poor snake cwebb; I'd really hate to be him:)!

Last edited by a moderator:
North queensland- you dont need to actually drink water- the amount you inhale with the humidity will keep you going!

Ok maybe thats an exaggeration. I like the 'smallish' city where you have access to everything you need, yet 15mins and you're still out in the bush. And speaking of which, the herps and wildlife up here are great :)

I love where I live, been here 20 yrs, good schools, sporting clubs of all sorts, night clubs for young people, but I don't know how good they are, a huge estury, nice parks, a hospital, plenty of doctors, beaches, fishing, boating, restaurants, crabbing, sailing, canooing, cycle paths, good rail service to Perth. Despite a population of about 80,000 it still has a country town feel. Friendly people some good shops. Some very expensive mansions, but also affordable housing too. I love where I live and never want to leave.

What's good about my town? I'd tell you... if I had one...

I grew up in Moe, Victoria. When I lived there it was a beautiful place. Surrounded by mountains, beautiful views, thriving, living, breathing. Then they privatised the powerstations, and went from 18,000 jobs to 2000 jobs in the space of a couple of months. Now it has the worst rates of violence, crime, domestic abuse, alcohol and drug abuse in Victoria, as well as one of the highest rates of suicide. It isn't the place it once was.
Also, for the greenies, that white stuff coming out of the giant towers at the powerstations is STEAM, not carbon monoxide. That's why they're called COOLING TOWERS.

I've travelled all around Australia and up and down the middle. Given a choice I think I'd live in Western Australia somewhere.

I've lately been living in the Lockyer Valley area for uni. I actually really like it there. The towns are nice, the uni and the farms keep them thriving, and the people are friendly. Crime and the like is about the same as anywhere else.

For the next year though, i'll be living out of my car, on rotation for vet science. Should be good fun! Then at the end of 2012 I'll be a vet, and will live wherever I land. Maybe I will go back to WA at some stage. Hopefully I'll work at Currumbin Sanctuary for a while.

night clubs for young people, but I don't know how good they are,
Mandurah nightlife is TERRIBLE :lol:

But I mostly agree with you on the other good points. I think Mandurah is alright.... Not sure I'd want to live here forever but its a nice enough place for my daughter to grow up.

*edit* I hate the shops though. I go to Rockingham or prefferably Perth when I need to shop - dont even bother down here.

I LIVE IN COWRA, just next to Bathurst ;)

We are home to the Cowra Breakout, we have a river, Japanese gardens and rose gardens :p...... that is all

Well I live in Nunawading... something good about Nunawading?
Well I don't know. The area is kind of green, I guess, and I used to get a tonne of lorikeets... none now though because the guy who fed them has moved.
So yeah nothing really good about Nunawading. But I don't want to move.

Hmmm... A lot of my life from like 10 and up until the start of this year have been way out in the sticks. I personally hated it, I liked being able to ride all I wanted but that was it. Having to drive 100 clicks to school sucked and left me broke all the time. I got a lot more driving experience in 3 years than lots of other people my age get and I feel happy about that. Seeing your average tailgating p plater overtaking on blind corners annoys me...

I loved using the local roads to learn to control a car without the possibility of hurting someone else. Probably irresponsible but learning to slide a car and power out of situations is handy on the road.

I live close to the CBD in Brissy now and wouldn't change it, I like how busy it is, everything feels like it has more of a purpose and there are more opportunities there. I'll always like going back to the bush for a ride or a getaway but I'm happy where I am for now :)

What's good about bathurst? hmm.. not sure.. that's why I left as soon as I turned 18.
I lived there my whole life, but it seems the place has gone further and further downhill (I remember being able to walk around safely at night without the fear of being stabbed in the face with a broken beer bottle, slashed with a knife..).

What's good about Newcastle? There's more to do here and yet it's still relaxed and not a gigantic rat race like Sydney.
Oh, and the weather..

i live in hervey bay
Love the wildlife the fishing the beaches the people love love love fire twirling on a sunday night rain or shine:)
we have movies and clubs and bars and whale watching and wetside a free water park for all and even some free community events that the kids all love most the people are nice the weathers beautiful even when horrible
walkign tracks and bike tracks and parks i just love the bay much more than the gold coast, brissy and melbourn too many people in those places for me lol

It's not Brisbane, Sydney, Melbourne, Canberra, Adelaide or Perth.

Best thing about Darwin is access to great country, brilliant fishing and it NEVER GETS COLD!

So few people living up here really appreciate what we have. Ask most of the locals what they like and they say 'The convenience of a big city with a small town attitude.' I like Darwin because it's a melting pot of a million different cultures, it's small and relatively underdeveloped (although that is changing at a fast pace).

And mate, there are plenty jobs up here the NT would love to have you back and i'm sure Armidale wont miss you!

You, Darlyn and Gordo are real buggers:)!

I don't really live in a town though. Pictures talk better than words... this place is deadly, nuff said.

I wake up to this!
P7290301.jpg

I walk my dog here...
P8140017.jpg

I do this for fun...
P9140070.jpg

P7140260.jpg

FishingCahillsMarch011.jpg

gordsbuff2.jpg

Find these kinds of things walking distance from or at my back door.
PB210135.jpg

PB230149.jpg

PB230145.jpg

PB170110.jpg

PB230140.jpg

PB070041.jpg

PA250126.jpg

Noice post, gordo:)! I won't even bother to post pics of where I walk my dog ATM:(.

the pharmacist in charge is sexy! other than that its a hole

I love the NT
I love the weather
I love that it costs me less than $200 to fly return to philippines, bali, vietnam, singapore, east timor.
I love that there are two beautiful national parks within a few hours drive from my house
I love that my job takes me all over arnhem land to some of the most remote parts of Australia.
I love that it takes me five minutes to get to my mates place, doesn't matter which mate cause they are all five minutes away
I love the sunsets
I love the abundance of asian influence especially the food
I love the electrical storms.
I love seeing the wildlife surrounding me & not having to worry that a big kangaroo is going to jump out in front of my car.

I dislike that Darwin drivers are horrible and have no idea how to merge or that indicating doesn't seem to be a requirement :/
I dislike that my snowboard is falling apart from disuse
I dislike that to get any good live music I have to fly to a different capitol city.
I dislike that despite being a small town opportunity crime is huge and if you leave your door unlocked even when your home people will just walk in and steal the first thing they see...
I dislike how expensive it is now to live in Darwin.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back