What's Humane??

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Zoe, no I don't want to start a fight I just find it hypocritical. I believe you to be nice but definately misguided in your anger.

I didn't think anyone would be interested in hearing the details about killing the kittens. I did say they were humanely killed.

cwarren72 said:
I think that we have to be careful about the boundries we are crossing here, there is rules governing the feeding of live animals to reptiles. Also there is rules governing they killing of prey. You all come on here and go on bout the things you do to rats and mice and the like but you need to remember that if we can look on here then so can NPWS. Grow up peoples, Feeding our herps is a fact of life but we don't have to be cruel to do it.

Well said. The last thing we need is for animal rights groups to push for the banning of reptiles. If they got wind of teeth removal prior to feeding a rodent (or anything else) to a snake, I can just imagine the uproar. Herpers get a bad enough rap as it is, without this sort of stuff.

yeah i'll admit i am a HUGE cat lover and after working in a vet for 2 1/2 years my immediate reaction was horror really that someone would feed a kitten to a snake. but hey thats just me. :? i held back by saying "i luv cats..." as in "HINT HINT shut up now..." but nobody took the hint and it turned into a major horror thread about who likes to kill cats in what way which is kinda upsetting to someone who luvs them. having not ever had pet rats or mice i dont have the same love for them as i do for cats so the feelings arent as strong but it honestly made me feel sick reading what adam just wrote about cutting their teeth back but i was trying not to go schitz like i did before and end up causing a huge fuss with threads being locked etc etc. im sorry if it seemed hypocritical to you but believe me the anger is there im just trying not to express it so...err...much? :?

and im sorry iluvs for cutting a bit sick there...i guess with all the bucketloads of kittens that get put to sleep at shelters it kinda makes sense to feed them to ur snake but i could never do it! i know im contradicting myself now but im sure many people have read something that pissed them off or upset them and reacted initially to emotions and not logic :?
anyway i think i'll leave that there

Settle down people.Have you ever seen the damage a rat does to a snake? Is that humane? Has nobody on here ever had to trim a rat or rabbits teeth? Well I have had a rabbit as apet years ago that had to have regular teeth clippings at the vet and for $40 he use to cut them with dogs toe nail clippers, so you see what I do is not in fact cruel as I do NOT go down to the nerve endings africa, maybe I was exadgerating when I said down to the gums as the rat does not bleed or squeel, it simply feels like us after going to the dentist, I know I don't go home and tuck into a t bone steak. Smacking them on the head isn't to humane either as they rarely die the first time and surely would suffer from this sort of trauma. Please lets not get stroppy,just helpfull. I don't condone torture that's why I started this post.

Mate your as flash as a rat with a gold tooth!
(Sorry, couldn't help myself).
Frozen is the only way to go.There are numerous hazards to feeding live prey not just the bites.
I will show some restraint here so this does not turn into another locked thread.

O.K I apologize for what I have done and will let nature take it's course. Hey if one of my rats kills my snake I suppose it was ment to happen in nature and I should take it that way. P.S I have never heard of a snake hunting a dead prey item in nature. Don't mean to step on any toes but that's how I feel.

I actually drove 20 ks just to be shown the correct way to flick and brick a rat just to make sure I got it right! Due to this I can guarantee a 99% first flick success rate. SURE, that means one in 100 suffers an extra second which is a lot less than it would suffer placed live in with a serpent.

it simply feels like us after going to the dentist

Oh, thats OK then I had forgotten how good I feel coming out of the dentists :) LOL, I rest my case.
I will not say any more whatsoever on this post as I do not wish to be the first moderator banned from the best herp community on the web!
Let's just agree to disagree.

O.K I have admitted I may be wrong on this matter.Let's talk but. Do you waste many rodent as once they are frozen they cannot be refrozen? If anyone close to Campbelltown can show me how to flick and brick I will be happy to do this as I am sick of my snakes being bitten but I am also sick of throwing out half the rodents I defrost as some of my snakes will only go off the movement of the prey. :oops: ( recently took my 4 year old son to get 2 teeth filled and he cried for 4 days after)

Hey Adam,
I use frozens, but hardly ever have a snake not want to take it, but on the off chance that this does happen, i always offer the food item to my other snakes and then they take it, so there's no wastage.

I suppose now my collection is big enough that would work. I used to try it when I only had 4 snakes,and I used to throw out half as many as would get eaten.

Yeah, well the more snakes you have the more chance you have of another one taking it if others refuse.
If not....well, you'll have to get more snakes ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back