What's Humane??

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If it works for you...do it

fair enuf but you cant just disregard the fact that something is cruel to animals because "it works"

lol and im not snapping im just saying :D

Yes we should use frozen or preekilled food. And just for simple reason, that feed live pray is ilegal here. So please members who do feed live animals to your snakes, keep it to your self and do not post it here.
This site is about herping the right way and we should promote the laws they apply.
people who have different opinion on this subject are welcome to do and think what ewer they like, but admins will delete in future they contributions if necesery.
We have many new herpers here on APS, and we should advice them the right way, to doit as they licence is stating.
Thanks, No hard feeling.

No hard feelings I will bow out respectivley and keep my advise to myself and never post on here again. So goodbye to the people who have been nice,it's a shame to go but there are too many nasties here,as we have seen in the last few weeks.What I do is safe to the rat just go ask a vet. Bye.

Adam, you sound angry that people are disagreeing with you. This is a discussion forum and everyone has differing opinons and sometimes it can turn nasty.
Yes, there are a lot of school kids here but do you really care if they disagree with you? There are maybe a dozen people here that I think really know their stuff and ususally help out the newbies.
As Slateman has pointed out, feeding live prey is illegal and NPWS do keep an eye on this site, so you can hardly blame Slateman for covering his ****.
My opinion is you really should be feeding frozen. I know you want to breed next season but you say you will always feed live prey.Personally, I would not buy snakes off a breeder who only feeds live.
I hope after you have had time to think about it you will stay here on APS and continue to contribute.But there are always going to be people who disagree, it's the nature of the hobby.

Adam,
I hope that you decide to stay on this site.
I have recieved ridicule as well, but that hasn't stopped me from posting here. In general, it's a good community. Just ignore those that annoy you.
This site is a wealth of knowledge and it's good to be able to discuss things with other herpers. This is probably the best herp site in australia with discussion boards.
Some people know what they're saying, but others don't. Take the good stuff from the bad....
but don't leave.

No Greebs I was actually most annoyed by sxereturn telling me what I can and cannot afford.I have just read all the posts twice to make sure what was said and I don't think everyone realizes that trimming teeth is nat cruel,if cut down to the gums yes, I know i said this in one of my posts but I was exadgerating and I do not condone cruelty to animals either,heck I've got 4 cats,pet duck,pet chooks as well as my herps,I also have a siberian Husky out on loan breeding as well. I do not blame Slatey as I have met him personally and think he is a really nice and helpfull person. Good point about ignoring the bad,might work however I am not too sure on how any of my opions will be taken or if my input would be wanted. If someone can spend the time to teach instead of everyone throwing stones I would be happy for them to come over and spend a few hours showing me these method's of killing,freezing,dfreosting,and feeding.I apologize to one and all for causing any hassles or upsetting you.

I understand the reasoning behind trimming the rodents teeth; you do not want your snakes getting hurt, which is fair enough. However, what is the point of trimming their teeth prior to feeding, if not down to the gumline? If you failed to cut it to the gumline they would still have teeth enough to cause damage to your snakes, and if you DO cut it down to the gumline, well, that's just unecessarily cruel. I fail to see the point.

Another benefit of feeding thawed food, besides the safety factor, is that freezing the rodents will kill protozoans and other nasties they may be harbouring, which as I understand it, you had problems last year with your entire collection?

If you wish someone to show you how to knock the rodents, you're welcome to stop by our place again.

Some of my rats have really long teeth,like a good inch long,cause in captivity they don't get the chance to gnaw them down as in the wild,that is why I used to have to get my rabbits teeth trimmed,this way they can still bite but not all the way through the snake. Is flagulence a protozoans as this is a field I don't know much about. I am going to Tamworth to race on the 13 of march and will be going past your way on Thursday 11th march. Maybe I could drop in and spend some time learning. Thanx varanus,more helpfull than getting upset I reakon.Cheers,Adam.

I think there is a big difference between assholes and people sharing opinions. My opinion is that it's incredibly irresponsible and pretty bloody stupid for a few reasons.

1 - There is A LOT of new people getting into keeping herps. One of the last things we need to promote is feeding live.

2 - There is NO pro's to feeding live stuff. At all. And even if there was a tiny little pro side, it would be so far outweighed by the cons...

3 - It'd be so much easier gassing them (they fall asleep, not choke to death...) then having to bugger around with cutting teeth.

4 - Your snakes could still be bitten.

5 - Selling your animals...I would be reluctant to pay a fair price for your animals if you were feeding live because of a few reasons...chances of parasites, difficulty to get feeding on thawed...

Slatey - Yes, I know it is your forum, but it wouldn't be a forum without members. Both good and bad topics need to be discussed, you can't just have all the happy cheery stuff...arguments happen everywhere, and I think you get discussions where people have two opposing opinions, and arguments mixed up.

No kevyn I hate a#$holes and will be ignoring any posts by them in future instead of lowering myself to there level.Thanx anyway mate. :)

adam, i think most of the angry or critical responses came from when you said you cut them down to the gum. i think its fair enuf that people would be annoyed by that because it is obviously cruel. seeing as you have admitted that you exaggerated and that you only cut them a small amount, like pinkie said it is done by vets regularly and there is no issue of cruelty there. i dont think its fair to label people as a$$holes because they are worried about the welfare of other animals. after all, if it was me feeding live snakes to my cats it would cause a little stir wouldnt it? :wink:
just because you dont have a love for a particular animal doesnt mean that its ok for it to suffer in any way. not trying to bash you or anything but i think its important you understand why people reacted that way and that it wasn't a personal attack.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back