Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

reptilerob

Reaction score
Im pretty new to this herping thing but absolutely loving it, and loving learning from the experienced and knowledgable people on this site. My wife (rett82) has a bredli carpet python that we love, and this has sparked an interest in reptiles for us both.
I have been a very keen fisherman all of my life, and have seen countless thousands of snakes over the years, mainly blacks browns and tigers, with the occasional lowland copperhead, and at least one highland copperhead.
I was wondering if anybody that knows this area (wangaratta) and just the NE of Victoria in general could tell me what types of reptiles i should look for around here.
I have seen within an hours drive of here,
RBBS,
tiger snakes,
eastern brown snakes,
Blotched blue tongue lizards,
Highland and lowland copperheads,
eastern bearded dragons,
lace monitors,
Various skinks
and the attached gecko photo that i need identified,

I also know there is a population of murray darling carpet pythons in my area, but i have looked high and low and never seen one. I would so badly love to meet one of these beautiful reptiles in the wild!!!
Between the alpine areas an hour to my east, and the flat riverina area of NSW an hour to my north, i cant help but think there is soooooo many more reptiles in this area for me to find.
If anybody could help me out that would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.
Reptilerob.

Attachments

• lizard.jpg
    lizard.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 159
Reptilerob, I once went out in the field looking for murray darlings with a Victorian herpetologist who does research on this species, and he said 99% of the time he goes looking he doesn't find them. They are cryptic, hide most of the time and if you see one its knowing the time of year and day they are on the move, and then your lucky if you stumble across one at peak time. I myself spend much time on the Murray River looking for them every spring and summer, and can tell you its a lot of work looking, but on the rare occasion you come across one its pure bliss :D They are facinating animals to watch moving across cliff faces, through long grass and swim across the river. If your in Wangaratta your lucky as there is a population nearby, if you didn't already know that, and that pop. is being researched. I you don't know where I'll pm you the details.

Thanks heaps for the info guys, much appreciated.
Thanks for the info on the marbled gecko Ryan. We found that on our front verandah one night a couple of years ago and thought it looked pretty cool!!
Ozziepythons, thanks for that info. I know where they are, and know where the best parts of that area are, im just buggared if i can find one.
I have posted quite a few photos of bearded dragons recently. I didnt know we had many around here until i started looking for murray darlings....now i find beardies all the time.
Im sure my luck will change with the MDs.
Thanks again.

There is a small population of MD in the Warby Ranges to your west. Its is about as far east that i know of their existance for the victorian side of the boader.

Thanks childreni and beeman.
yeah i have got it figured out where the best places to look for MDs are in my area, and have spent quite a lot of time over there in recent weeks. They seem to be an extremely elusive reptile.
I never realised we had such a large population of bearded dragons in this area until i started looking for MDs.
My mum lives in thoona, and whenever i drive over there im always on the lookout for them!!
Over the years i have spent a hell of a lot of time in the warbys, including a 12 month working stint on an archard up there and never encountered a MD.
When i get a chance, i might go for a wolk over there with my portable spotlight for a look.
I have a few tips to help me find one. Sadly there was one killed by a car back in september approx. 2 meters long on the taminick gap road.:(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back