*WHO IS YOUR TRUE HERP HERO*????? Who has been your biggest inspiration????

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Couple of great blokes

Graeme Gow
Joe Bredl

Oooh yes Timmy - Graeme is gone but never forgotten! Only met Joe Bredl once in 1974, (when he came to see Graeme in Darwin actually) so don't anything about him from personal experience...

J

Well it was my partner that inspired me to love reptiles. I don't think I would of ever considered them except for him. But one of my first inspirations into the world of pythons (they are my favourite reptile) was Kel Worley (Pythons1). He helped me so much as a newbie not really knowing anything...I still don't know very much!
The depth of knowledge this man has especially about pythons is mind boggling.

Garth on the other hand, his inspiration was Eric Worrell, Graeme Gow and Louis Robichaux who he knew all personally.

Last edited by a moderator:
I gotta agree with Naja_Nivea on Romulus Whitaker.. Check him out on you tube, amazing guy.. And as a West Aussie, Brian Bush is someone I admire... Also Steve Irwin, but that just goes without saying :)

The number one lesson I learned in herping in the field was patience. I give all credit for that to one enthusiastic and knowledgeable 14-16 yr old who taught me all about the bush when I was very young. I won't name him because no one will know him, but I owe a hell of a lot of my current passion for herps to how I looked up to him when I was young.

Any and all the people who put TV shows on in the late 70s and 80's, inc The World Around Us and of course Harry Butler series, and not just herps but any great nature doco... and in later life John Cann.. I remember as a six year old hearing stories from my grandparents about the two boxing brothers doing their snake shows out at La Pa, and now am lucky enough to call John a friend, drinking some of his home brew right now in fact..... funny enough I can't remember seeing the show as a kid, just getting boomerangs from across the road to "the pit".....? go figure?

Simon Stone has been a great help to me..... has answered countless simple questions & paid a visit to my joint & shared insights etc.........

Baden ain't half bad either...... & finally Dave Merceica a cracker of a bloke who has helped me bring colonies of animals together at the drop of a hat.

Yeah I knew you were being... but I thought it could be easily mis read by newbies who seem to these days, live off forums.

..Brian Barnett (The Herp Shop) :):)

recent recipient of 'The order of Australia'.

"Brian contributed to the development of antivenins by providing venomous snakes to Eric Worrell, Charlie Tanner and other early venom producers. He was president of the Victorian Herpetological Society for over 3 decades from the 1970's and returned to this role recently and is the current president of the VHS.
Brian's many herpetological papers appeared not only in the VHS journal Monitor, but in a range of peer reviewed herpetological publications and comprised the critical first steps required in the development of captive breeding techniques.
Brian has operated with a deep 'love' of herpetology, contributing in fundamental and significant ways to this field of study.Brian has fulfilled a mentor role to countless young Australians over the decades. He continues to help both experienced herpers and those new to herpetoculture."

Rob Porter, Ryan Ernesti and Mark Hutchinson for me.

All have been of exponential help and I will never forget what they have said and done for me throughout the years.

I emailed Mark once for an id and must say he emailed back very quickly and very nicely and helpfully gave me an id. I am sure he would be a great guy to learn from and I would love to meet him in person.

I emailed Mark once for an id and must say he emailed back very quickly and very nicely and helpfully gave me an id. I am sure he would be a great guy to learn from and I would love to meet him in person.

He is a very nice, approchable guy with a tonne of knowledge that he's willing to share with anyone that wants it. A top bloke that is in no way held in as high a regard as he should.

I'd have to say my Dad, my hero in everyday life, taught me to love nature and all its inhabitants great or small. While Dads passion is birds and not reptiles, he certainly encouraged me to love them just as much as he loved the birds. I have an intertest in birds as well and activey birdwatch, however the choice between the 2 was always reptiles. So without been a herper himself, he certainly sparked my interest.

"Dave Merceica a cracker of a bloke who has helped me bring colonies of animals together at the drop of a hat".
Dave is a mate of 1 or my son`s,they were class mates at school.
alot younger than I am and I still seek his advice.
A nice bloke aswell.

ive always recalled great times with MR textilis,hes a champ :)

but i would have to say George Cahn snr is definantly the original gangsta of snake handling and snake showmanship

Greg Fyfe, who has done so much for the Australian Herp Community, is one person that l can name who has help me to learn so much about, breeding-identification-sexing-diet-health and husbandry issues, and was the one who sincerely did alot for me in helping me to get ( Pygmy-Mulga & Desert Sand & Ridge-Tailed Monitors and Centralian Blue-Tongues ) on permit from the wild between 2001 & 2003.

lf it was not for Greg Fyfe l would not have had any hope what so ever in getting any of these Lizards on permit from the wild for a breeding program, so he sure does deserve alot of thanks for what he has done for me since early 1990 until late 2006.

There are so many other names l to could mention on here that have done so much in helping me to learn about Reptile keeping, but some of them would not want their names mention on here and l can see why.

Last edited:
As a fellow West Australian, and someone who came to work with him from time to time, Harry Butler featured heavily in my formative herp years. He, and Vincent and Dom Serventy, were wildlife icons in this country. I had the pleasure of building and installing the displays at the Harry Butler Museum on Barrow Island - home of huge Perenties.

Jamie

The Serventys, I had forgotten them. Vince was a close friend of one of my older mates. I had the hots for Natasha Serventy for a while there.

For long time old herpers like me was always inspirational when Richard Wells or Ross Wellington would recount the field trips they had been on at the parramatta herp meetings or do a presentation.Gerry Swan sitting there writing down his notes,was good days!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back