why amateurs shouldnt own scrub pythons: warning to all novice herpers! pics!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Awesome, about time there was a decent bite and plenty of blood, thanks for that Ryan. :D:D:D

As the OP said, scrubs are not a beginners snake, after having owned them myself you soon realise they are not your everyday morelia. Awesome snakes IMO.

hey scott i agree, thats my point considering he was only a small scrubbie.
i also have been grabbed on the neck/throat by a 3mtre/10footer,held on and had a chew for 5 lonnggg minutes! not huge atall but definately scared the hell out of me,luckily i had someone else on hand and always do when handling my adults. i now own a few pairs and always have respect for the beautiful creatures!my favourite python for sure!
smit.

I agree, all snake should be treated with respect, especially the BIG ones!!
Hey Ryan, that shot of getting the needle.... I know that feeling, but your expression speaks volumes!
Shame you stitched it really, it would have left a great scar!! How did the photo turn out?

Weve got a 5metre retic here that usually is out the back in the garden somewhere during the day
But sometimes it wanders into the display
Lovely gentle snake that puts up with anything except being help near the head or neck
We usually just shoo it outside again until night time
But if it arrives at the same time as customers we warn them to leave it alone and just enjoy its beauty
Always some hero who thinks he knows snakes will try a head restraint
It goes ballistic
Never tries to bite
But a big retic is incredibly strong and it just tosses these guys around like toys
Then one of the girls just walks over and picks it up gently and its like nothing has happened
Little pussy cat again waiting to get its belly scratched

not to the hobby no but to keeping large pythons his as new as they come haha silly boy :p

haha smithy Im sure you and others were'nt on the edge of your seats just waiting for that scrub to grab him :lol: with the cameras ready for action..

We all know Ryan sometimes isn't the brightest spark in the shed, I told him he wasn't allowed to handle venomous snakes because of the drowsy pain killers he was on once what's he do, go and handles one and guess what he came away with a bite then to.

They all tried to hide it from mother hubard (me) because they knew I'd get the ****s. Given it was only a De Vis I was still not impressed.

Are you gonna post the video for all to watch too?? Then you'll really see how brainless he is when handling big pythons lol

ryans a good kid lol i certainly wouldnt leave him to handle any of my elapids though thats for sure. he was willing to cop a bite in order to get te snake to sit right for the photo,mind you he assumed it would be no worse then a bite from a coastal carpet. well he was wrong haha was entertaining to say the least! though i think the local he got at hospital hurt alot more haha

ryans a good kid lol i certainly wouldnt leave him to handle any of my elapids though thats for sure. he was willing to cop a bite in order to get te snake to sit right for the photo,mind you he assumed it would be no worse then a bite from a coastal carpet. well he was wrong haha was entertaining to say the least! though i think the local he got at hospital hurt alot more haha

Haha, I know the look of horror when the Dr has that needle.

I dont think the hobby needs another restriction. If you play with big snakes expect a big bite. Start restricting them and it will go the way of america where you will be fighting to keep them.

They are already restricted snake bag, and there is a huge difference between us and the US in regards to big snakes. They are already native here.

All he was saying is keep them restricted.

thy are a cheap snake that grows big,bigger teeth, bigger bite,bigger risk. capable of killing n adult man,which has happened once before to an expert handler.... yes in some states they are retricted already but at the very least the breeders and sellers of these snakes need to take responsablity of whom they sell to. in comparison to USA we are nothing alike a retic or burm or anaconda compared to a scrub is a bit different lol

I dont think there is much difference at all. Your talking of how they can kill an adult man who is an expert handler and restricting keepers from the animal. That sort of thing would snowball expecially if the news heard of these Big snakes killing expert handlers. I think people are restricted enough without creating new ways to restrict us further.
Not attacking just my thoughts

Anyone who sells Scrubs and/or vens can only rely on the fact that the buyer has the relevant licence at the time. However, how the wildlife authorities deem a person suitable for a Scrubbie is beyond me as there are no handling courses for large pythons (that I know of)
I remember vaguely that NSW required two references for Scrubbies just after the amnesty. This is still no insurance though.
Any advise on how to be a responsible breeder in the days of the internet, when you very rarely meet the guyer these days?

imnot talking bout the capability of the snakes mate im talking bout the difference in industries between us and usa of being different. they are exotics aswell which is another reason they tightned the restrictions over there. and hans good point and as you just said mybe a refernce like they used to do is the go :) just my thoughts too.... this is no debate haha just get a bit woried seeing threads on here of people that are keeping scrubbies and then asking for help on how much to feed them and how often? honestly if you cant work out basic husbantry skills then you shouldnt be owning scrub pythons lol its worrying to say the least!

Bite pics are my favourite, that one looked like it would hurt like hell! I think I'll stick with my olive ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back