Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nelly

Reaction score
Hi all,

Josh is my name. Was given a 45cm Maccie for Christmas by my lovely fiance, Nelly. Have named the darling Hazel.

I received her a little before Christmas (about a month ago) and have been totally petrified of handling her... my few feeble attempts had previously shown her to be very upset (due to lack of handling by the breeder I'm lead to believe). A friend of mine helped out by babysitting the little one for a week and climatising her to human contact... however, she's since acquired a couple more Childrens and has a full-house.

I've been handling Hazel a couple of times a day over the last few days. Her attitude has improved greatly, although she's still very fiesty... I'll normally grab her out from underneath her hide and keep her bunched up in a ball to avoid coming in contact with the sharp end... cupping my free hand over the top of her to familiarise her with my scent.

Last night I finally had her cruising around on my hands... still fearful of receiving my first bite... She struck me twice (just out of shock I believe) and I barely even noticed she'd done it... was almost like someone throwing a mandarin seed at my hand.

WHAT A RELIEF!!! I knew it would come and I expected it wouldn't hurt, but the anticipation was absolutely killing me!

Just had her out again and she's a little grumpy this morning... struck me a few times on the hand and this time managed to draw blood... JUST! I am so relieved and am looking forward to settling this grumpy girl down.

Great information on the forums and a massive support network are definitely going to help... APS FTW!!

Regards,

Josh

Last edited:
why were you such a pussy?

because you have whiskers and say "meow" lol

Nah.. Welcome to APS.

A few images... sorry about the crappy phone quality.

hazel2.jpg

hazel1.jpg

and you were scared of that , i got scared once by a snake in thailand it was a retic i had jumped into its enclosure to take a photo and pat it then they told me it hasnt been fed for four weeks

and you were scared of that , i got scared once by a snake in thailand it was a retic i had jumped into its enclosure to take a photo and pat it then they told me it hasnt been fed for four weeks

... yeah, funny that. Human nature dictates that your first time encountering a new experience is accompanied by feelings of anxiety... I'm sure the first time you had sex (assuming it has happened) you weren't exactly sure what the ending would be like :shock:.

But thanks for making me feel inadequate...

That's not a snake it's a little spotted worm lol:lol:
Continue to enjoy, you will find lots of helpful advice on this site to help you

Well I, for one, think you were very brave!!

.....Brave for admitting on a public forum that you were scared of that little fellow.

:)
Welcome to APS.

I'm new to python herping, and have some fear of getting bitten too. The first time my juvenile MD bit me I was really upset. I knew it was on the cards and it didn't hurt, but something about my pet snake lunging at me and drawing blood really freaked me out. Since then she has bit me a few times in her enclosure and usually doesn't even break the skin, now my main worry is hurting her mouth.

I have a Darwin who is about 5ft, again a new snake for a new snake owner, and she bit me for the first time yesterday. Again, this was quite disconcerting and bloody, even though it didn't hurt a bit. However, I think I am starting to accept that pythons may bite from time to time, and just consider it part of the hobby.

So I admit I am a middle aged, 6ft male pussy.:lol::lol::lol:

Josh mate. Don't listen to them having a go at you about being scared of such a small snake. Its nothing to be ashamed of. I keep geckos and dragons but there is no way you would get me handling your python, thats for sure. So Hi, my names falconboy and I'm a pussy too! I'd only nervously handle one of those really tame ones at the zoo and thats about it. I'm one of these wussy guys who hasn't even been on an amusement park ride. No way. Oh, except a water slide when I was 8, and I was petrified. So there, I'm 'out' :)

How pathetic am I? :shock:

Cute looking little python.

Glad you are no longer a pussy. Cats are often frowned on by a number of APS members dismayed by the carnage they inflict on native wildlife.

I admit it, i too was scared the first time i handled my new little snake girl, but for no good reason i now realize. welcome to the site, enjoy,

also Josh

Josh mate. Don't listen to them having a go at you about being scared of such a small snake. Its nothing to be ashamed of. I keep geckos and dragons but there is no way you would get me handling your python, thats for sure. So Hi, my names falconboy and I'm a pussy too! I'd only nervously handle one of those really tame ones at the zoo and thats about it. I'm one of these wussy guys who hasn't even been on an amusement park ride. No way. Oh, except a water slide when I was 8, and I was petrified. So there, I'm 'out' :)

How pathetic am I? :shock:

Very. :lol:

Hahahahaha, thats funny, good on you for finally being brave!! Now when are you getting your first 10 foot olive? Welcome to APS!!!:D
And as for you falconboy, what the?? hhehe

hey there

good to hear ya got ya first bite out of the way it aint getting bitten that scares ya its the antisipation of the bite that does but once ya been bitten a few times by a big snake you get used to it and dont hold that fear anymore

so dont stress everyone on this site would have been scared of a snake bite at some stage in there life and if they wont admitt to it they lying lol

another thought is to get yaself a snake hook i have found that my snakes handle alot better if removed from there enclosures using a hook instead of just reaching in and grabbing them quiet a few of mine are cage protective and will strike out at most things in there home but once removed are very happy to be handled

hope that helps

Thanks for the encouragement from the rest of the pussies out there! I think I'll put that in my sig... "Hi, I'm Josh. I'm a 24 year old 6'4" pussy."

I've got a snake hook and I've also been using an old tea-towel to aid in handling and removing her from her cage. She's not partcularly protective of her home, I can remove her by hand reasonably easily. She looks very uncomfortable once she's out though.

I'm torn between two theories of how often to handle her. I've read alot of people stating that you should handle them 5-10 mins everyday except for 48 hours after eating and once they've gone milky. Others have said handle the sucker as often as possible and for as long-a-period of time as you want the snake to be comfortable being out of its home...

Alot of people are quite comfortable having their pets out for hours at a time... others only handle them when they have to (for feeding and cleaning).

Personally, I like the idea of being able to sit on the couch watching TV with Hazel cruising around my arm. My friend's snake (Fingers) is an absolute gem. He spends time living between two different enclosures (two different houses) and seems to cope quite well. I guess it all comes down to the individual and what works for the snake in question.

On a side note, I went to the Australian Reptile Park the other day and loved being able to walk through and say "I could own one of those... I could own one of those... yada yada yada".

The one I loved the most was the corn snake they had at the front counter. What an affectionate little critter!

EDIT: I was not implying I could own a corn snake. I know they're not allowed.

I think it is a competely normal thing to go through with a first snake, I had pretty similar feelings until I got tagged.

I'm still yet to be bitten by my boys! So the aniticipation is still there. My only bite to date has been a juvie bhp and I didn't even notice until I looked at itz head and wondered why it looked so monged (cos it was wrapped around my thumb) So still lookin forward to the day my 7ft coastal gets me. Good onya nelly for powering thru!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back