Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wildexpo

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the support everyone.
It's been a fantastic few days, and Brian has proved to be a huge hit and just a great bloke.
I just thought I'd share with you his twitter message from today so you can get his take on the show so far.
Today will be a big one. Hope to see you all out there, and please share some of your photo's!

What day is it?
Yesterday one of of those days that you know you’ll be talking about for years, you know those days that your friends get so sick of hearing over and over again.
The day started with filming some awesome animal, soon after I got full access to some animals that I did not think I would be messing with.
Before I knew it I was standing in a cage with a king brown! Then filming with a huge inland tiapan, not a cornsnake to say the least. These guys are one of the deadliest snakes around and they seem to like to bite people? The bad thing is I had no fear, it was a reminder of why I don’t keep hots, with having no fear you will get bit. Next up was a Lace Monitor that while I was trying to handle it for a shot totally owned me and my arm looks like minced meat:) That didn’t detour me from moving on and pulling out a huge Frilled Lizard that frilled up like it was trained to do so! I ended this phase with a huge and incredible Australian Water Dragon. You have to remember at this time it was still 8:30am. Not a bad start to the day.
Once a lot of people started to come through the door it was more about filming here and there, but mainly hanging out and chin wagging and they say here. I was really humbled at the tons of viewers we had down here, I knew people watched but had no idea that we would get so much attention. It made me feel awesome and I was so happy to get a chance to spend time with so many people that support us. I judged a reptile contest and had so much fun learning about their animals over here. Once the show was over the fun really started, we were able to kick back with tons of herpers and just chat about this and that. What incredible stories of catching the most insane animals all over this incredible country. It was like sitting down with legends and hearing their stories of battle. The night ended with a smile and had me so pumped up it was hard to fall a sleep. I still have some of the coolest part of the trip ahead, what will today and tomorrow bring?

Last edited:
Another great day. Wish I could have stayed longer.
This year more than any other it really felt like there was a sense of community amongst keepers. For the first time it felt like we were all on the same side.
It was the first time I'd had the chance to chat with many members on this site face to face and it was alot of fun.
Ramsay and I sit on the opposite of the fence on many issues, but he's a top bloke and we had a good laugh together.
BBQ was a bit of a non event, but this thing is only going to get better and better...bring on 2011!

Attachments

• IMG_5010.jpg
    IMG_5010.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 307
  • IMG_5024.jpg
    IMG_5024.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 266
  • IMG_5015.jpg
    IMG_5015.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 293
  • IMG_5008.jpg
    IMG_5008.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 254
  • IMG_5005.jpg
    IMG_5005.jpg
    130.2 KB · Views: 266
...and one of Brian with the 2 headed mac.

Attachments

• IMG_5012.jpg
    IMG_5012.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 328
Was good fun, met a heap of members from here. Here is me touching my first python, I was very frightened :lol:

Thanks to wild expo team, was a lot of fun!

Not impressed that I missed it this year, looks like it was a great weekend.

I now know who H.bitorquatus is now though lol.

Nah thats not me, some weirdo kid that jumped in the shot when I tried to photograph the snake ;)

Did anyone get shots of the pale headed snake? That was the only thing I couldn't see and it was what I mostly wanted to look at, little bugger was hiding in the bark.

Not impressed that I missed it this year, looks like it was a great weekend.

I now know who H.bitorquatus is now though lol.

yer.. didnt go either, im sure ill here about it,my mates work at rodent farm so im sure they got to meet brian.. i knew i should of went...oh weell next year..

those stripes were brad walkers.. the best out there IMO

I went on the Friday and did enjoy it but overall I must say I was a little disappointed. There was a definite lack of information about what was happening and what things were displayed.
I arrived on the Friday at about 11am which was an hour after opening. Most of the large display enclosures were not labelled so I found myself looking at beautiful animals but with no idea of what they were. In the middle of the animal sales area was 75 enclosures of which 60 or more were empty. I assume these were the competition enclosures? Again there was no information on what animals were to be displayed, when they were going to be displayed, when the judging would be or what categories would be judged. There was a stage area set up for shows but again no information about what would be on. I was there for about 4 1/2 hours and apparently missed 2 venomous displays which I would have loved to see, but I had no idea they were on. The kids shows that were on were so loud that when you were up the other end of the building the music was so loud it was hard to talk to people.
Having said that, there was some beautiful animals on display and for sale and some very good stands with husbandry gear and enclosures etc for sale. It was great to meet and talk to people like Neil Sonneman and Joy from S&T among others, and to see some of the animals and products of the future.
Please take this as constructive criticism that can help for future shows.
-Things really need to be set up and ready to go when the doors open, not at the end of the first day!
- People need to know what they are looking at!
- People need to know what is on. A few announcements over a PA system would have been great!
- Exhibitors with beer in hand is a bad look!
I did enjoy it but I definately won't be going on the Friday in future!!

I went on the Friday and did enjoy it but overall I must say I was a little disappointed. There was a definite lack of information about what was happening and what things were displayed.
I arrived on the Friday at about 11am which was an hour after opening. Most of the large display enclosures were not labelled so I found myself looking at beautiful animals but with no idea of what they were. In the middle of the animal sales area was 75 enclosures of which 60 or more were empty. I assume these were the competition enclosures? Again there was no information on what animals were to be displayed, when they were going to be displayed, when the judging would be or what categories would be judged. There was a stage area set up for shows but again no information about what would be on. I was there for about 4 1/2 hours and apparently missed 2 venomous displays which I would have loved to see, but I had no idea they were on. The kids shows that were on were so loud that when you were up the other end of the building the music was so loud it was hard to talk to people.
Having said that, there was some beautiful animals on display and for sale and some very good stands with husbandry gear and enclosures etc for sale. It was great to meet and talk to people like Neil Sonneman and Joy from S&T among others, and to see some of the animals and products of the future.
Please take this as constructive criticism that can help for future shows.
-Things really need to be set up and ready to go when the doors open, not at the end of the first day!
- People need to know what they are looking at!
- People need to know what is on. A few announcements over a PA system would have been great!
I did enjoy it but I definately won't be going on the Friday in future!!

This is exactly the type of feedback that is needed niggz. I'm sure that issues like you described can and will be sorted for next year

does anyone know if there is a reptile expo thats in qld... i would love to go to one.

Was there hardly any entrants this year??? Seemed like a lot less than previous years.
Damn should have got my butt into gear! lol

Was good fun, met a heap of members from here. Here is me touching my first python, I was very frightened :lol:

Thanks to wild expo team, was a lot of fun!
Thats awesome that you touched your first snake well done matey!!!

When I went to the expo, that poor animal was being poked and prodded when I went on the Sunday. My daughter who is 5, (around herps all her life) said look at the poor snake dad, it must be stressed! LOL There was literally 10 or more people touching it at once....funny sight!

does anyone know if there is a reptile expo thats in qld... i would love to go to one.

There was one last weekend at Gladstone.( i was there ) There's also the SCALES & TAILS SHOW in Ipswich in November i think.Joy will keep you updated.

going to have to disagree with you on that one. not that i went, but if they wanna kick back and have a drink at a big social event like that, then i say good on em. as long as it was at a venue where drinking was permitted.. obviously

I would have to say the at a "family" event, it is NOT a good look to see stall holders "kicking" back with a drink. Wait till the day is over and then have a drink if you want....
You are there to promote reptiles not drinking.....
I would take my kids to see the reptiles etc NOT people drinking on the stalls...... Its just my opinion though......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back