Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
cant keep them in hunter valley i dunt think, you can keep them in darwin NT but they dont do well here long term, there some of the species of black ant they eat up here ive been told a technique on how to get these black ants to, put a peice of termite mound with honey on it out for 2 hours n you should have heaps of them

cant keep them in hunter valley i dunt think
crap i think you may be right cant find them on my licence info anywhere, we may just have to move lol

kel said:
how much are thorny devils to buy? they look awsome, i want one
Very hard to get a license for, at least in SA. Feedings not hard though, place a rock with honey smeared on it near an ant nest, then an hour later place rock in enclosure. I've also heard of people "training" ants to enter the enclosures.
Oh - and if you can get a hold of the "Wild Australia" DVD there is a scene of them hatching, the babies are soooooo cute.

You can keep any reptile in NSW except marine reptiles and crocs. They are just harder to keep (so I've been told). Yes we can keep them in NT aswell but I don't know of anyone up here who keeps them privately...well a few people but don't have contact details.

I'm living in Coconut Grove, close to Nightcliff. We get heaps of wildlife out this way, it's great.

I'll continue to upload photos as I take them, that's if I can...photographic skills are poor at best.

Simon Archibald

Checked my records, found 4 Thorny Devils on the Barkly highway on Saturday 26/04/03, at 104km, 104.5km, 125km and 149.5km east of the ThreeWays. Didn't have a GPS then.

There's an article on breeding the Moloch at the Alice Springs Desert Park in the latest Reptiles Australia magazine.

:p

Hix

Thanks for that Hix...bought the copy of Reptiles Australia today...I found it interesting to read the approaches they took to collecting ants...

Simon Archibald

Heat I don't mind at all...the weather's been great so far...even the rain yesterday...they tell me the wet season is a bit different though ;-)

People have been great...fantastic, nice peope.

Simon Archibald

hey Simon here is one I seen on the side of the road when I went out to Alice Springs to live for a while

There is a guy in SA who breeds Molochs and I think they sell for a few thousand.

cw72,
That's a cracker of a Thorny...great pics too...don't matter about the size, see great details.

Simon Archibald

I think you ticked him off CW72, he is giving you the eye the little cutie! :lol:

Are they spikey to touch or do they just look like it? They had one on display at the Sydney Reptile Expo a few years back but he wasn't allowed to be touched and he moves ever so slow like a little robot.

I'm completely blown away with those thornies. they really are something else. fantastic pics. to see them in the hand and then they completely disappear on the ground....amazing. great finds. thanks for sharing

wow :D they are such spectacular animals... really great photos simon and cw72

Simon,

Make sure you visit the Mindil Beach Markets one night. Lots of people, but lots to look at too. And if you like Croc skulls...........

:p

Hix

Hix,
Yeah mate I was there last Thursday night...sunset on the beach was great, although plenty of smoke from a bushfire to smother it a bit.
Saw plenty of trendy little trinkets but not all of it was necessarily cheap!!

Simon Archibald

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back