Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, I didn't mean to suggest they were cheap, just lots of skulls for sale. I did notice that they seemed to be cheaper there than elsewhere.

:p

Hix

Haha Fuscy...I might email that address for myself...just out of....umm....curiosity...yeah that's it..."curiosity" :)

Simon Archibald

Possum they are just as sharp as they look. That is why I used my jumper lol. It is amazing how quick they disappear into the ground.

cwarren72 said:
Possum they are just as sharp as they look. That is why I used my jumper lol. It is amazing how quick they disappear into the ground.

Wuss! The ones I had to move off the road I just picked up, no problems. They're so light that the spikes don't hurt.

Then again, I also handle echidnas with my bare hands.

Hix

yeah they were very gentle to touch. and not one ounce of aggression from them either. awesome little things

Here's one devil I saw on the Great Central road a month ago (and a centralian bluey)

Here is a photo i took of a perentie near an outback dining site at the ayers rock resort when i worked there....
perentie.jpg

Matt

.................you can keep horridus !!!?? ..........i love australia !!! :D
Amazing, thanks for the pics, ive only ever seen Phrynosoma.....so to see these guys in the wild will be fantastic ! cant wait!!

T X-III,
That goanna looks to me like a Varanus gouldii or Varanus panoptes...I'm not sure of the distribution of panoptes but it's not a Perentie.

Simon Archibald

Simon_Archibald said:
T X-III,
That goanna looks to me like a Varanus gouldii or Varanus panoptes...I'm not sure of the distribution of panoptes but it's not a Perentie.

Simon Archibald

ahh ok. thanks for the clarification, i was told it was a perentie by someone up there, must have just been a guess!
apart from a few goannas the same as that all i saw were plenty of thorny devils, 1 snake, a few scorpions, dingos and a wild camel!
i lived and worked there for 4 months back in 2004.

funny story about a thorny actually... i used to drive a truck around up there and i was belting down a dirt road in the truck at about 60km/h (that was quite fast for the truck on a dirt road) and i spotted a thorny in the middle of te road! there was no way i wanted to hit it! and no hope of stopping in time so i swerved! quite dangerous! had this big truck up on 2 wheels and managed to miss the little diddums! stopped and ran back to make sure he was ok and he was!

in real life they are actually softer than what you would imagine! i guess the thorns are more to look threatening than actual protection.

i was told that they are quite dumb and if you dont put them back facing in the direction you found them in they will get lost and die because they wont find their way home..... is this correct? can somone verify this for me?

cheers!

Matt

Simon_Archibald said:
T X-III,

Simon Archibald

I agree - spenceri perhaps?

Hix

I think you'll find they don't have a "Home" to speak of. They roam about eating black ant colonies and I guess making the best out of what ever shelter they can find. As for then dying if not getting home...........I think someone was having a joke :wink:

is there much information availiable on their reproduction and breeding? behavior what happens with the young what size they are when they come out of the egg ect?

truely amazing lizards. pitty you would almost need your own black ant colony to keep one...

andrew

slackra - get the latest edition of Reptiles Aust. mag.
Great article on them in there
Cheers
Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back