Wires regurge!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I

imported_Varanus

Hi All,

Just thought I'd share a few shots of a Brown currently in my care, due to a redneck hero getting there first (usual story). "I been bit by three Browns, so now I'm immune"! When we got there, he had a saucer of milk near his shed, laced with asprin. Said it would "quiet him down a bit, so we could catch it easier"!!

Anyway, after getting him home and warming him up a bit, he regurged 3 baby Bluetongues (bit grose, but interesting none the less).

EDIT: No complaints please, the enclosure was cleaned and disinfected immediately after these shots were taken and the bandage (which was applied by a well meaning, but reptile ignorant vet, has been removed ( as it greatly hindered movement)!

Cheers,

I.V.

P.S: Progress shots to follow, if anyone's interested, as we have to give him daily Baytril injection ATM to stop infection!

Hi Jack,

Yeah, I didn't think I'd be at the pointy end of elapid keeping so quickly!

That is so not true about the being immune thing, right? Isn't it more likely that you develop an immunity to the antivenom so that it doesn't work for you, or you get an allergy to the venom? And isn't there a thing about if you milk them all the time, you can develop something, too? Oh well, I dunno.
Poor blueys! Poor snake!!! How many of these call outs do you get?

That is so not true about the being immune thing, right? Isn't it more likely that you develop an immunity to the antivenom so that it doesn't work for you, or you get an allergy to the venom? And isn't there a thing about if you milk them all the time, you can develop something, too? Oh well, I dunno.

I think it can go either way.

A woman at Pails for Scales in Ballarat said the owner now only swells up a bit when bitten by tigers.

Lizardjasper, I'd imagine the reaction would be more likely to become worse each time you're bitten, though I suppose it could vary between individuals. You're basically getting foreign proteins injected into you're body, and you're body fights these... When you've never been exposed before, you're body doesn't have any antibodies etc against these proteins, so you don't suffer a reaction.. but if you're exposed again and again, you're body 'remembers' those particular proteins and can cause severe hypersensitivity reactions including anaphylaxis. I know when I was researching snake envenomation in domestic animals (dogs/cats), the liklihood of anaphylaxis and other severe side effects increases with previous exposure to the venom, and the same for the antivenin.

And back on topic, that looked like a lot of food for a little brown! And milk + aspirin? where on earth do people get these ideas?!

No some people actually can build an Immunity to snake venom... it's rare though for deadly snakes... cause your usually dead b4 you have a chance to build one lol

Lizardjasper, I'd imagine the reaction would be more likely to become WORSE each time you're bitten. You're basically getting foreign proteins injected into you're body, and you're body fights these... When you've never been exposed before, you're body doesn't have any antibodies etc against these proteins, so you don't suffer a reaction.. but if you're exposed again and again, you're body 'remembers' those particular proteins and can cause severe hypersensitivity reactions including anaphylaxis.

And back on topic, that looked like a lot of food for a little brown! And milk + aspirin? where on earth do people get these ideas?!

ah well then, memo to self... kill source.

Alrighty...link has been tagged!
I have heard of someone beingallergic to tiapan vemon, because he milked so many of them, and the vapours got into his system...in scales and tails or somehwere, talking about a place down in VIC that milks and keeps deadly snakes...anyone recall that?

I remember hearing about an Ancient Mayan guy that used to take small amounts of poison daily to build up an immunity, when the spaniards or whatever took over and he was made a slave he tried to kill himself with poison, alas, it didn't work.

wow! that is cool. aww lookit him in the first pic, hes like "check it out, i ate all THESE on my own!" *proud face*

so cute.

:3 hope he gets better!

ahh, ok, interesting about Bill Haast!
I am actually alergic to cats and tropical dustmite, and have been having injections for over a year now. I will continue to have them for the rest of my life, as I live in a tropical invironment and have 6 cats in the house atm. So I know how that kind of thing works....I wonder if my doc could include some brown venom for me.....? :D

There has been heaps written about self immunisation and on you tube there is some interesting videos.
I think ill just stick with trying not to get wacked..
In one youtube vid from a few years ago, a fella,Rex something, milks a fer de lance into a beaker,sucks it up into a syringe,and after mixing a bit of saline he wack the needle under the skin in his armpit.
Dont know how it would do with death adder venom though.
Good luck with the brown,that was a waste of a good meal but they sometimes disgorge after
the capture, better in a tub than in a bag.

Last edited:
Good Job ,whats his injuries? why was the need for a bandage? ...............get alot of redneck attitudes when it comes to our snakes ...keep us posted on your progress ;)

Alrighty...link has been tagged!
I have heard of someone beingallergic to tiapan vemon, because he milked so many of them, and the vapours got into his system...in scales and tails or somehwere, talking about a place down in VIC that milks and keeps deadly snakes...anyone recall that?

Yeah I remember that. I think he developed an allergy to the taipan antivenom..so if he gets bitten he's pretty much buggered haha.

Im not a elepid fan but I do enjoy seeing pics of them, but people can be so horrible to what god created and put on this earth.... They were around longer then we were...Hes a looker, hope he gets better soon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back