woma python

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

slitherress

Reaction score
so im considering getting my first snake(woma python) so I have some questions 1-how large do they get because im finding mixed answers also how thick 2-are they a good first snake I was also looking at the Centralian Carpet Python 3-housing how big, substrate etc

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi mate. I am from the gong and there should be some local breeders available in the coming months.
They get around 4-5 feet long, they are a good starter snake, keep them in a click clack container (search this) for small snake when it gets full size put it in a 4 foot tank. People put on sand but I use newspaper or breeders cat litter for my snakes

The length depends on the variety of woma. Some of the WAs (like Boodarie, Sandfire) are relatively small, while others (esp SAs) get much larger. This is why you get a variety of lengths. If you find out how big the parents are, you'll get a much better indication. They are a thick-bodied snake - much more so than Antaresia and Morelia, relative to length. I have Boodaries which are about 1.5m long and 1.7 kg at 3 years of age. They are one of the smallest types.
There will be plenty in the gong area or southern Sydney.
I kept mine in click clacks for a while, then into a normal enclosure. You don't need a lot of vertical space. They will climb, but would rather burrow. I put mine on thick shavings which they love to burrow in. Half logs and a tile up on bricks are popular furniture in addition to the upside down ice cream container as a hide.

so im considering getting my first snake(woma python) so I have some questions
1-how large do they get because im finding mixed answers also how thick
2-are they a good first snake I was also looking at the Centralian Carpet Python
3-housing how big, substrate etc

Hi there :)

1) males grow approx 1.5m depending on locale, females grow larger. Not sure about girth as I've only seen not handled but they are a leaner not so round python (if they're round it means they're overweight)

2) a woma was my first snake and I wouldn't trade him for anything. Very hardy and lovely temperament, although some people say the complete opposite about theirs. I think it's important to at least hold it first before agreeing to buy. It is long commitment to make and if you're not 100% into it, your pet can suffer.

3) I'm currently building a 1500 x 500 x 500 adult enclosure with coir peat for substrate. As a hatchie, a click clack is fine. They grow fairly quickly though (at least mine has) so be prepared :)

also is it better to feed in or out of enclosure and does this make a difference for handling

also is it better to feed in or out of enclosure and does this make a difference for handling

There are varied opinions across the board on this subject. I would suggest finding whatever works for you and your pet. Get as much info as you can (knowledge is power!), be confident and you will be ok.

My opinion is feed in enclosure, because if you're getting a hatchie it should be kept on a clean substrate like paper towel and you don't have to worry about substrate ingestion.

Edit: after feeding leave it alone for one to two days before handling. This is where the click clacks come in handy: there's nowhere they can really go :) a good thing to remember is that your pet needs to feel safe, which is mostly in its hide, so if its curled up in its hide and there's no real reason to get it out: don't :)

Centralian Carpets (bredli) get really big, but apparently can make good starter pythons.

As for womas, I can speak from personal experience. My first python was a woma and I would say they are close to perfect beginner snakes.

As already said there is a huge variety with in the species, for colour and size. The boodaries tend to be around 1.2-1.5m. Tanamis, RHD, sandfires, rabbit flats, etc are around 1.5m. Ulurus are around 1.8 and the SA's are over 2m.

All have different colourings with the boodaries and ulurus being darker with high contrast. The tanamis, sandfires, rabbit flats, RHD are lighter with a mixture of orange, caramel, reds and creams. The SA's are silvery with nice example showing a contrasting yellow or gold head. It's a personal preference as to what you prefer.

If you check out the last 10 or so pages of the ' show us your womas' thread, that should give you an idea of what is around and also who is expecting hatchies as there have been a few gravid, or possibly gravid females posted recently.

http://www.aussiepythons.com/forum/australian-snakes-37/show-us-ya-woma-s-126366/page/168

As for the reasons they make good starter is:

1. They like their food. Womas don't tend to go off their food. If you do a quick search you will see that a python not eating can be very stressful for a new keeper.

2. They don't have any special requirements and are very hardy. Shedding is generally not a problem, as they come from a dry climate.

3. They are known to be a placid species. Mine all so easy to handle.

4. They have a few 'special' quirks. Womas are famous for their tail wagging and head bobbing when excited. Two of mine do both, one only tail wags and the other only head bobs.

5. They make great Christmas presents. Most hatchies are available around Xmas time, so that gives you plenty of time to continue researching, set up a click clack, find a good hero vet just in case, etc before the new addition comes home.

Here are some useful links to look at.

The wiki on here is a good place to start.
Frequently Asked Questions - Aussie Pythons & Snakes

Snakey will need somewhere to live.
http://www.aussiepythons.com/forum/noteworthy-threads-5397/guide-build-click-clack-dial-93266/

for feeding what would I start off with eg pinkie or fuzzy and end with large mice or rats and how often also would it be possible to link me up with pictures of the different morphs as I looked on Google images and even on show us your woma's but some are not labeled as what they are

PS thanks guys I know im asking a lot of questions

Last edited:
for feeding what would I start off with eg pinkie or fuzzy and end with large mice or rats and how often also would it be possible to link me up with pictures of the different morphs as I looked on Google images and even on show us your woma's but some are not labeled as what they are

The breeder you buy from will give you a feed history and you increase their meal item as they grow. Rats are better because they have lower fat content but the max I'd probably feed mine are small adult rats as large and jumbo rats are fatty. When he grows older I may feed him multiple small rats.

I don't know what you mean about morphs. There are various locales as previously outlined and the only "morph" woma I know of is the black one being bred by snake ranch, but I don't believe they're selling them yet. I also have no idea about genetics so it may not be a morph, but it is very different.

Lots of questions are ok, but make good use of the search function also :)

yeh sorry by morphs I meant locales

I believe they have been listed already, with a good description of their appearance.

If you go on the "show us ya womas" thread and find one you like the look of, just ask the person who posted it what locale it is from.

As already said there is a huge variety with in the species, for colour and size. The boodaries tend to be around 1.2-1.5m. Tanamis, RHD, sandfires, rabbit flats, etc are around 1.5m. Ulurus are around 1.8 and the SA's are over 2m.

All have different colourings with the boodaries and ulurus being darker with high contrast. The tanamis, sandfires, rabbit flats, RHD are lighter with a mixture of orange, caramel, reds and creams. The SA's are silvery with nice example showing a contrasting yellow or gold head. It's a personal preference as to what you prefer.

so im considering getting my first snake(woma python) so I have some questions 1-how large do they get because im finding mixed answers also how thick 2-are they a good first snake I was also looking at the Centralian Carpet Python 3-housing how big, substrate etc

Mate when it comes to a good starter snake make sure you trust the breeder who you are buying it from and follow there recommendations on selecting one. A local breeder would be best as you can hold them via to committing to the purchase..
I had a woma as my first snake and it was a horror and tried to bite me all the time because it was very food orientated.... Not trying to turn you away from womas though as most cases i have heard and read about they are great beginner snakes but it doesn't always come down to the type of snake but in many instances the individual

For feeding ask the breeder what they have the woma eating, before you purchase. Any good breeder will give you the info you need before you buy. As for pictures if you find one on the thread that catches your eye, quote the post and ask for the locality, which breeder it came from, etc. Most people are very proud if their animals and will happily give you basic info.

Hey guys, im also looking into purchasing my first woma. I have fallen inlove with the snake and cant wait to find a male hatching on the Sunshine Coast. Will a full grown male woma be suitable to live in a 4ft x 2ft x2ft?

Hey guys, im also looking into purchasing my first woma. I have fallen inlove with the snake and cant wait to find a male hatching on the Sunshine Coast. Will a full grown male woma be suitable to live in a 4ft x 2ft x2ft?

Yep a 4x2x2 is fine for most localities, only exception would be the SA's and possibly some bigger Ulurus.

Woma pythons are the very best, excellent choice. I'm pleased to see the interest in them here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back