Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Also keep in mind that a hotspot under a heat emitter is a lot different from a drawer on a heat mat. 40+deg C can and will kill most snakes from heat stress. there is no reason what so ever to go any higher than 35 on the heat mat in your drawer and letting your snake get too hot can also cause it to go off its feed.

Good on you for rectifying these problems and I hopoe it works for you and your snakes. Do they have a specific time of day they may prefer to be fed. I know my lil pygmy python prefers to be fed around dusk or after dark cause she is most active at night. It may not make a difference, but it's an idea.

I'm not sure about the 40 degrees thing.. I've had my enclosure's basking spot up to high 30s, and my woma seemed to just avoid that area..

the thing i keep thinking of when people mention 40 degrees is that with a human if you have a fever of 40 you are in the danger zone for brain damage, now humans can thermo regulate their temps, snakes can only do this by changing the area they are in, if a proper gradient isn't provided for the animal to change it's temps then as hugsta said, you are asking for heat stress and other related issues to arise.

Well they say no news is good news, but sometimes the opposite is true.

The male took a 100g thawed rat last night at 9pm. I pulled the tub out just enough to fit the rat into, then closed it so I could just dangle the rat by the tail. Did that for a couple of minutes, he got really interested, so I gently let the rat go by the tail. He pushed his nose around it then took it and yanked it out of sight into the back of his tub. Saw him about an hour later, the rat obviously missing.

It must have been the temps that were stopping the male from eating. He must have thought it was getting into winter, so it's been proven to me that volatile temps can switch them off, but now that the temps have stabilized he now thinks it's summer again.

Many thanks to those who were suggesting temps - especially Ramsayi with regards to early morning/midnight temps. It was definitely temps.

;)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back