Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pythonmum

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
I wormed my snakes by injecting Wormrid into their mice tonight and started wondering what is considered best practice. I worm twice a year. I've also heard of some people who drench for other parasites. What do others here do?

Captive bred, but I was told to worm twice a year. I think this is mainly prevention in case something survives in the gut of a mouse after thawing.

We worm every 4 - 5 mths, by injecting worming stuff into the rodent. Better to be safe than sorry and it doesnt do any harm.
They dont have to be wild caught to have worms i've been told, parasites can be passed on through food, and other wild lizards and reps that roam the house..

Best practise is to worm them only when necessary ie: they have worms.

I here once a year is good - the question is how many people don't worm there reptiles?- good on you for doing that.

Best practise is to worm them only when necessary ie: they have worms.
Well then you should worm them all the time... cause they will have worms all the time.. same as you have worms i have worms and every living thing has worms... My fem coastal just passed a worm, so i am worming as soon as the product gets to me.. however i will be worming my animals every 6 months from then on in.. Every prey item you give your animal be it frozen, fresh, live, dead will have worms and other parasites.. yeah ok freezing will kill most of the bacteria, and some of the worms but there are some that get through..
I have been doing some asking around to people who are more in to the science of life in terms of parasites and stuff, very interesting, but also worrying if you think about it too much...

i would think that worming medication is always going to have some side affects, it seems pointless to worm perfectly healthy snakes. If your snake has worms then you should look into treating it.

JoeBlakes, do you have any evidence to suggest that pythons are always carrying parasites that will be detrimental to their health? It sounds like your over reacting considering anual worming is not a standard practice.

Well then you should worm them all the time... cause they will have worms all the time.. same as you have worms i have worms and every living thing has worms... My fem coastal just passed a worm, so i am worming as soon as the product gets to me.. however i will be worming my animals every 6 months from then on in.. Every prey item you give your animal be it frozen, fresh, live, dead will have worms and other parasites.. yeah ok freezing will kill most of the bacteria, and some of the worms but there are some that get through..
I have been doing some asking around to people who are more in to the science of life in terms of parasites and stuff, very interesting, but also worrying if you think about it too much...

Have you got shares in a worming solution company? :lol:

i worm all my reps and amphip's every 6 months, dont know bout u guys but i don't wait till i have worms before i worm myself..... why should my animals be any different? in my opinion prevention is better than cure.
cheers.

If you're going to do a precautionary treatment then once a year is enough, anymore frequent is overkill. In most cases there will be no need to worm a snake every year. If you're using good quality rodents then you shouldn't have a problem.

Also i wouldn't advise using the wormrid stuff; it is rubbish IMO. Use Vetafarm Wormout Gel or the other one that i'm having trouble thinking of... what's it called?

i never said that is was detrimental to their health i just said that they will always have worms... like you and i will always have them too.. but i know a lot of owners with collections 20+ who worm 2x yearly for precautionary reasons...

my male dp got worms and he has been wormed.
Had to buy some rats of a breeder i never used before and so far he's the only one that has showed any signs of worms - fingers crossed.
Wont worm the other ' perfectly health ' ones unless I need too.

What other snake wormers do people use? Wormrid is all I've ever seen. There are plenty of options for my dogs. They get wormed monthly, but they also run around outside where they can pick up eggs and worms.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back