Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The panacur comes in two different concentrations. One for cattle, the other for sheep and pigs. I used the sheep and pig one, but I don't remember what dose rate. I think (but I am not sure on this) One is 25mg/ml, and the other is 100mg/ml

sounds right jenjen. i have the 25mg/ml one. the vet said to administer 2ml per kg.

i worm all my reps and amphip's every 6 months, dont know bout u guys but i don't wait till i have worms before i worm myself..... why should my animals be any different? in my opinion prevention is better than cure.
cheers.
You worm yourself prophylacticaly?? What the? What do you use, some kind of enema?:D:D

Worm rid actually contains the same chemicals as panacur, and a couple of others.. as is a more broad spectrum wormer. Where as panacur is more specific to certain worms..

The worming issue has always been a worry for me. I've heard so many stories where worming pythons has gone wrong and owners have ended up with a dead snake, wether it be human or product error...

Either way I wasn't going to take the chance, so quite a few months ago, I asked around to other experienced breeders and they all practically recommended the same thing...always check your snakes poop (fresh only...mmmmmm), this will show any signs of worms etc. Only then should you consider worming your snake, but make sure you get advice from other experienced keepers that have actually used a certain product, proven not to harm your animal. Do not get advice from a Vet. I was told that most vets like to think they know everything and have actually recommended the wrong product/dosage to use which has resulted in the deaths of numerous snakes. As most of you would probably know, most vets aren't that experienced when it comes to pythons or even refuse to work with them as they are such a complex animal.

In one particular case, a legal battle took place where a vet recommeded a worming product for my mates prized adult coastal carpet. My friend took the advice from the vet, then followed the instructions to a 'T' written on the label of the product. A few days later, the python died!

When my friend went back to the vet and very upset as you could imagine, the vet blamed the creator of the product for putting the incorrect dosage on the label, and the creator blamed the vet for recommending a product that is not really for pythons :rolleyes: Right at that time...I would of exploded :evil:

The owner eventually got compensated for the loss of his snake (original purchase price only) from the creator who eventually gave in to the understanding of how upset my friend was...the vet didn't give a damn and refused to accept any responsibility. But at the end of the day, the snake still remained dead all because of an incorrect product or dosage...which ever came first? So I don't know about anyone else, but be very cautious when it comes to giving anything to your pythons....do some serious research and ask!

blackghost

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back