Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bretsta

Reaction score
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia
hey people, just curious as to what people's methods are to have a python release it's grip when it decides to bite. currently got the beginners python (spotted) and it's only bitten once, and was defensive, so bit and let go just as quick. wanna make the move to a bigger python (woma not much bigger) but more than likely a diamond. haven't handled many large snakes, and bites are obviously inevitable.

just wondering if a large python bites and holds on, whats the safest way (for the python) and most effective way to have it release. are there any safety precautions, or things you should have in place prior to handling in case it does decide to bite.

everyone will have different methods and opinions, and I'm happy to hear them all from more experienced keeps to find one I'm comfortable with.

feel free to post some nice bite pics while your at it if you wish.

thanks in advance for any advice.

Brett

I've heard:
Push into their mouth, as pulling will rip the teeth out.

and

Dunk in bucket of water.

i've heard putting them under a tap of running water ... don't know how much that will work though

i have worked with a large collection of pythons and in captive institutions the main method to getting them to release after latching on is simply methylated spirits in a spray bottle,sprayed onto them and they release.Recently i had a carpet latch onto me at home and i reached for a bottle of brutt 33 after shave and poured a few drops onto affected area and it released!! and me and my snake smelt nice after LOL

i have worked with a large collection of pythons and in captive institutions the main method to getting them to release after latching on is simply methylated spirits in a spray bottle,sprayed onto them and they release.Recently i had a carpet latch onto me at home and i reached for a bottle of brutt 33 after shave and poured a few drops onto affected area and it released!! and me and my snake smelt nice after LOL

lol, i've heard the metho one before, the Brute it new though. Lucky i keep some in stock, lol.

So i take it then this doesn't harm them (the metho). last person i heard it from used it on a bhp, and by memory said she put it in the corners of it mouth. does this sound right? or are you suggesting to put it closer to where the teeth are for better effect?

cheers for the advice

yes sprayed into there mouth,or a couple of drips of aftershave aunty got me for christmas worked on this occasion lol
i have run pythons under the tap latched on before and also in a bucket of water and more often than not the buggers hang on.

few methods I use... Blow air into their mouth, dunk them in water or under running water (tap, shower etc) or just wait it out... It's not gonna get much more painful than the start, but there'll be more chance for pictures + extra blood :D

last timee one of my spotteds held on and coiled , i just left it on there - she let go after 10 mins .

my woma latched onto me
just filled up the sink, dunked him in, he let go within a minute
then he was all good again ! easy peasy

This happened last sat nite:D . Tried putting him under running cold water, didnt work... Had to get the mrs to hold him while i opened his mouth up and off. First time i've been coiled to, normally just had bhp's try and headbut me and hatchy's bluffing...

new trick (2).jpg

new trick (3).jpg

new trick (4).jpg

new trick (5).jpg

You probably made it worse by trying to physical open its mouth, best bet would be to use any of the above mentioned methods. When I use the running water method I dont just let it trickle on the snake I normally have it almost fully on and the pressure of the water normally makes them retreat. When all else fails (extremely rare) I would wait it out

lemon juice. 1 or 2 drops of lemon juice dose the job or just wait for them to let go. they can stay like that forever =)

few methods I use... Blow air into their mouth, dunk them in water or under running water (tap, shower etc) or just wait it out... It's not gonna get much more painful than the start, but there'll be more chance for pictures + extra blood :D

Air blowing works on my GTS, altho not a python. Works for geckos too sommetimes

Unfortunately the question you have to ask is, What is going to work for this snake? Because what works for one snake, might not work for another.
I have found that most snakes will let go when they are run under cold water. I personally am not keen on the metho idea. People have suggested it being bad for the snake, and I don't know either way, so I don't like to use it, just in case.
Sometimes tickling the top of the head works, sometimes tickling the corners of the mouth also works.
The only trick that works 100% of the time... is wait till their done ;)

I keep a bottle of ISOCOL......kills two birds with one stone, they let go cause its an alcohol base and I can clean my wound up ... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back