Wth? :(

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris1

cupcake
Reaction score
so thanks to the awesome members of APS both my amyae eggs hatched this time,..humidity was low (previously it was too wet and only one of the pair hatcched each time), they incubated at 28.5C over a period of 67 days.

the first one hatched on sunday morning, but normally when i find them in the incubator theyve already shed. THis one hadnt, and had a long string from its belly button to the remaining yolk coated in vermiculite.
Being worried it would gut itself like surprise ackie did, i thought i did the right thing and trimmed the cord to be about 1cm, not too close, but got rid of the bauble of crap.

put it in a clean container with clean sand, a clean toilet roll and clean plastic vine leaves for shelter, just like i have with the other hatchies.
warm end 32C, cool end room temp, (around 22 in the herp room atm)

later that day it seemed ok, had been moving around. the next morning it was dead, with a bit of dried blood around its mouth. (still not shed) it lived for about 24 hours.

and the other egg had hatched.
a large robust healthy looking hatchy, that had shed and had no cord left attached to its belly.

so i set up another container, different sand, different toilet roll, different leaves.
warm end 32C, cool end room temp, (around 22 in the herp room atm)

i checked on it regularly, at first it seemed active, by last night it was kinda lethargic. i took it out and gave its face a light misting, put it back, an hour later it was also dead. No blood this time, but same position, head slightly tilted on the ground and legs pushed back.
this one survived for about 60 hours.

both these hatchies were huge! they looked great!

ive done this before, same method and everythigns been fine, my previous 2 are thriving, eating well and growing like weeds.

the adults are fine too.

it was suggested that at those temps they would probably hatch in 73 days, could they have not been properly cooked?
put too much effort into growing their bodies istead of their organs? (as i said, theyre huge!!)

i cant imagine it being husbandry errors, there wasnt even enough time for them to absorb the yolk and start eating,..

i dont understand whats happening?

if anyone can enlighten as me to whats going wrong it would be greatly appreciated.
im feeling like such a failure atm. :(

Chris.

I'm no help with the husbandry, but so sorry to hear about the babies dying :( I got all excited when you said that both hatched, but as I read on I got sad. I know what fantastic conditions you keep all of your animals in, so I find it hard to imagine that anything could be at fault in the surroundings. I hope someone else can offer some suggestions.

Thanks Susan, im totally baffled!! :(

Geckoman, thats a really interesting question,...not the heatwave, but between week 2 and 3 of incubation i asked about why 1 egg kept dying and was told my substrate was to wet, i also noticed alot of people incubated them closer to 28 than 31, so i added dry vermiculite to make the substrate better AND i dropped the temps by 3 degrees,.....could that have something to do with it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back