Young Diamond refusing to feed

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

extasea33

Reaction score
Hi All,

I have a young Diamond who has just had it's first shed, however has not yet started feeding. I am starting to get a little nervous and wanted to get some tips or ideas.

I would rather not mention what i have tried so far tin order to get your ideas first. :D

Hi and welcome!
Did you breed the snake yourself, or buy from a breeder? I would've thought that most breeders would sell snakes already feeding to avoid these problems.

Anyway, I'm guessing you're trying to feed pinky mice, so try:
- braining
- scenting with quails, chicks, skinks
- thawing the mouse in hot water and feeding it still fairly hot (try wet and dry)
- freshly killed
- live feed (yes, I realise this isn't legal, it's just a suggestion!)

But, if it's only just had it's first shed, then you can relax for a while longer before it becomes a big issue.

It'll last a long time (5 months of more) without feeding if water is available so be patient and relax. Try different times of day/night and do your best to excite the snake with movement.

Be sure that the heating is correct; day and night cycles are as natural as possible and minimise their expsoure to human things like handling/noise/lights and television. Anything they wouldn't normally expect to find in the bush within reason.

I have tried braining and warm pinkies. He took a strike as young snakes often do but not a grab. I even thrown in a few crickets just to see what happens, but don't hold much hope, or has someone had a juv feed on insects before?

5 months just seams like a long time.

The noise issue could be a bit of a clue, I did actually place this snake in the living room.

I also tried to excite him a bit at night, where he gets really active under the "moon light", but still no go.

Try putting the pinkie in just as u go to bed . when room is dark .worked for my stimmie .
hope this helps .ron

diamonds

try feeding hopper mice, you may think there to big for 1st feed but they do take them.

If it has only just had its first shed, then the snake would be just over a week old yeah? Did you breed it yourself or did someone sell it to you non-feeding?

What are you keeping the snake in? How many hides does it have and how big are the hides? What temperatures does it have access to? How old is the snake?

P.S. If you think pythons eat crickets you shouldn't be keeping pythons.

MrBredli, as you may have read i threw in 2 crickets to see what happens, but thanks for your criticism all the same ;)

The breeder is my neighbour. It's 17 days old, but i said 3 weeks as it's close enough. Will try leaving the pinky in overnight.

I have kept diamonds before, but came here to see what you trouble shooters come up with.

If the breeder is your neighbour, couldn't you ask them for assistance? Surely they would be able to help you, especially given the fact they gave or sold you a very young non-feeding hatchy?

No worries, always happy to offer my criticsm. :p

Ensure that:

your temps are right,
the cage is small and in a low traffic, low noise area,
the hides are a tight fit,
the snake has perches to climb on.

Try feeding a live pinky or fuzzy on the end of forceps at night time when the snake is out. Disturb it as little as possible (try to not be seen or heard). Also, your best bet would be to leave the snake alone for 7 days, do not disturb it at all, then try feeding as above with as little disturbance as possible. If that doesn't work, try scenting with quails.

Miss B.

Has him stumped as well...... he puts it down to still settling in.

MrBredli

will be moving the enclosure tonight. It's a 3ft converted fish tank with lots of spots for him to snuggle and 2 good temp zones.

Try putting it in a small tupperware container or click clack style tub with a just fuzzed up mouse or rat and leave it in with it overnight.If you're in a cool area put a corner of the tub on a heat mat or cord and place a hide inside.You may find it has eaten when you go to check in the morning as this has worked for me many times before.

I'm a firm believer small snakes should be kept in small enclosures and i'm thinking a 3 ft tank is a little big but with plenty of hides and a good gradient i guess you could get away with it.Also if you're using thawed try a fresh killed just fuzzed up mouse or pinky rat.Also if you have a perch you will usually find the snake perched hanging down at night in a feeding position which is the best time to try offering food and just try gently jiggling the rodent in front of it and brained always helps...good luck!

Hi there

What mrbredli said is spot on.
With my hatchies it has always been the hide size. A hide that is half the size of a light bulb box is good, something the snake can squash into.

Good luck....let us know how it goes

Yeah that cage is way too big. All my bredli hatchies are in tubs approx. 30cm x 15cm x 10cm and all accepted thawed fuzzies first attempt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back