Young Drivers New Laws

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The biggest difference I find is the lack of courtesy which goes a long way to making better drivers.
Yes I think this is one of the main issues and it is difficult to teach in driving school because it is an attitude issue not a skills issue.
I think any steps being taken in terms of tighter laws is a good thing, but at the end of the day it is the same as every other problem area we have - people in general don't seem to be brought up with the courtesy/thoughtfulness/etc etc that we used to. And with more cars on the roads these days it is even more important that we have that.

I'm not sure why people seem to be almost supporting 'hoons' by saying they don't cause many accidents, if they cause one by their stupid antics it's one too many.
MissB, unfortunately your experience is all too common. I had a bloke in a ute get pissed because I dared to overtake him, actually I had to undertake as he was sat in rhe right hand lane. Further up the road he pass ed me and his moronic passenger leaned right out of the window and threw a big plastic bottle directly at the windscreen, the wind blew the bottle away but this idiot could have caused an accident because of HIS bad driving causing him to take offense at me having to go past him on the left.

I'm not sure why people seem to be almost supporting 'hoons' by saying they don't cause many accidents, if they cause one by their stupid antics it's one too many.

Yep, my thoughts precisely.

Why anyone would want to defend hooning behaviour is completely beyond me :rolleyes:

LOL Boa you are physchic!!! stealing my words :lol:

I think we need to get off the bashing of hoons subject.... yes Miss B 'hooning behvaviour' which could be from a dude in a rodeo or a chick in an excel....

How od we educate the 'hoons' which are not neccisairly car nuts like myself etc....

I am a car enthusiast (hell, I'm a mod on a car forum), I like to drive a fast car, but I'm not a hoon.

Waruikazi, someone can be a hoon in any type of car. Not everyone labels all young car enthusiasts as hoons.

yes anyone can be a hoon in anycar. but people are quicker to label you a hoon as soon as they see a modified car.

Yep, my thoughts precisely.

Why anyone would want to defend hooning behaviour is completely beyond me :rolleyes:

It seems to depend on what you term hooning behaviour, it seems in the media anyone driving a car that has been modified or is slightly more powerful than the norm then you are instantly a hoon. I support car enthusiasts that are incorrectly labeled as dangerous.

i dont mean to defend hoon behaviour. anything dangerous in a car when there are other people around is bad, but i believe there are more pressing issues of driver safety that should be addressed first.

If kids want to have a bit of fun and do burnouts and doughies and stuff, or drive ridiculously fast, why don't they go hire a track for a day or organise a skidpan day..? At least that way they are off public roads, getting it out of their system without posing any risk to the general public.

Or even better, why don't they put their enthusiasm for driving into something that requires a bit more skill, like a Hill Climb or motorkhana? I've been to hillclimbs, motorkhana's, track days and skidpan days and they are loads of fun.

I support car enthusiasts too! I think it's great, I love cars. I love driving fast. I just happen to know when and where is appropriate, and it's not public roads.

Anyone who labels a car enthusiast a 'hoon' for no reason is ignorant. By hoon, I mean any moron who decides that dangerous driving is fun and exciting, usually at the expense of other motorists (or their own passengers).

A hoon is someone who drives their car in a stupid or irresponsible manner regardless of what sort of car, you don't have to be under 20 and drive a hotted up car to act like a hoon. If you scream around suburban roads doing burnouts you are a hoon. The odd thing is that the way they drive imprsses nobody (I would imagine) so what is the point ?

As I said before fuegan I really like your optional tests idea.

This also should be applied to 4x4 drivers which GENERALLY speaking I have found the most inconsiderate drivers because they seem to be unaware of thier sheer size which apparently makes them safer.

Rain, night driving, fog driving, dirt road driving, highway driving, peak hour driving, driving around taxi's :)lol:) and long distance driving should all be complusary units of competency before you are given your licence IMO

wakefield park you can take your street car round the track as fast as you want..... im not sure what days they do this but i know you can.

I agree, I did a skidpan day years ago which involved various 'tests' and challenges all strictly observed and controlled and I am proud to say I came away with the winning trophy at the end of the day :) I wasn't there to impress anyone or prove anything to anyone, just to learn a few new techniques.

Or even better, why don't they put their enthusiasm for driving into something that requires a bit more skill, like a Hill Climb or motorkhana? I've been to hillclimbs, motorkhana's, track days and skidpan days and they are loads of fun.

If kids want to have a bit of fun and do burnouts and doughies and stuff, or drive ridiculously fast, why don't they go hire a track for a day or organise a skidpan day..? At least that way they are off public roads, getting it out of their system without posing any risk to the general public.

We have things like Khana's and sprint days up here. The problem is getting support from the powers to be for a group of people who are not well liked in the general public. Just about everytime we do get some funding to hold an event as such someone writes a letter to the Cheif Minister and all our funding gets pulled. The result is that only club members can get involved or we have to keep them incredibly low key so people don't find out about them.

As I said before fuegan I really like your optional tests idea.

This also should be applied to 4x4 drivers which GENERALLY speaking I have found the most inconsiderate drivers because they seem to be unaware of thier sheer size which apparently makes them safer.

Rain, night driving, fog driving, dirt road driving, highway driving, peak hour driving, driving around taxi's :)lol:) and long distance driving should all be complusary units of competency before you are given your licence IMO

god dont even start on 4 x 4s... thoses things should even be sold unless you acn prove you will actually take them off road..... they should be bloody banned in the city.

i agree with all those things. all good ideas !! even snow and ice driving (i go to the snow alot) should be included as an optional thing because man there are some bad drivers at the snow...

waruikazi said:
We have things like Khana's and sprint days up here. The problem is getting support from the powers to be for a group of people who are not well liked in the general public. Just about everytime we do get some funding to hold an event as such someone writes a letter to the Cheif Minister and all our funding gets pulled. The result is that only club members can get involved or we have to keep them incredibly low key so people don't find out about them.

Yeah it's a shame - unfortunately those kinds of events are usually pretty expensive to arrange. Not everyone can afford $65 for a track day or skidpan day.

LOL I know what you mean...... but actually 4x4 in the city are fine as long as you can drive them, because as a family car they are great.

We just got the new Hummer H3 in at work this week...... god help the rest of us on the roads driving around them :shock:

Driving on snow I assume would be pretty difficult....

Now is there anything we can actually do about getting these things in place??? Unfortunately no one seems to listen who can help :rolleyes:

By the way if anyone wants to learn how to drive in Sydney I'll pimp my dad out for hatchies :lol:

Yeah it's a shame - unfortunately those kinds of events are usually pretty expensive to arrange. Not everyone can afford $65 for a track day or skidpan day.

It is the insurance costs for holding the event not the costs for entering your vehicle or petrol for the individual.

waruikazi said:
It is the insurance costs for holding the event not the costs for entering your vehicle or petrol for the individual.

What type of insurance, public liability?

Or insurance for each individual driver and their vehicle?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back