Young Drivers New Laws

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
god dont even start on 4 x 4s... thoses things should even be sold unless you acn prove you will actually take them off road..... they should be bloody banned in the city.

so you going to pay for the second car so I can drive in the city then? ;P

and what about people just visiting the city? wow, I hear that kind of arguement often, and it's always a stupid one ;p

What type of insurance, public liability?

Or insurance for each individual driver and their vehicle?

I think it is public liability. It has been a while since i have been to a comittee meeting.

I had to quit circuit racing because insurance cost shot up through the roof, that was just driver insirance.

i agree they are fine IF you know how to drive them. but unfortunatly not many people do and you see lots of them hanging over the edges of lanes and taking corners really wide.

haha and the H3 is the smaller version of the H2 isnt it ?

those ford f250's are just massive!!

as for getting them in place i dont know what to do.

a while ago when the p plate restrictions first came (the turbo, supercharged and V8 ones) i actually wrote a letter detailing all my optional tests plan and such but never sent it because the chances are just none and buckleys. no politician is going to stand up for the young driver minority when the media and alot (not all) of "older" drivers are so against p plate drivers.

and what about people just visiting the city? wow, I hear that kind of arguement often, and it's always a stupid one ;p

Yeah unfortunately a few bad soccer mums in thier huge Prado's give the people that can actually drive thier 4x4 a bad name.

Yeah fuegan it is a smaller version.... just a tad bigger than the Jeep of its class in width.... but none the less its HUGE and the chrome will most likely drive you if you catch the sun at the wrong time :lol:

if you are just visiting the city then you have most likely taken it off road at least once in its life. im talking about the BMW and merc, etc 4 wheel drives that see less dirt than a scientific clean room. and who usually have only one person in them.

I understand that alot of people need 4 wheel drives, but the people who dont shouldnt get them

The ones you are talking about feugan are purely for a status symbal..... we had a seminar on luxury 4x4's not too long ago and it was all aiming at peoples egos.

4x4's are a great family car if you can actually drive them as i said before.

yes thats true.

ok let me rephrase my statement:

there should be a separate test for people wishing to drive 4x4's, which should (hopefully) stop the people who cant drive them getting on the road.

didnt mean to offend any 4x4 people who actually can drive.

i have to agree with the people who support more driving education programs, taking european countries as examples -eg germany which have open speed limits in places. They are taught to drive properly and in a variety of conditions - eg snow and how to cope with these. as we are more or less taught to pass the test, and it was only a few yrs ago that i did it, i had one instructor who did simpily that told me what i needed to know to pass, and the second one who actually taught me how to drive properly, benifits of living in the county a bit, how to handel gravel roads and over under steer caused by gravel banks etc, how to handel water on the road and aqua planning, etc.

I don't think new restrictions will make much difference. It's all about attitude.

I got my learner licence in the ACT, and before I could take the theory test, I had to sit through eight hours' worth of car crash videos where people got maimed or killed, wearing beer goggles, multi-tasking exercises that were meant to illustrate how complex driving is, stuff like that. Not a bad start, but I think there should've been more emphasis on how to be a responsible driver, instead of scare tactics. A first aid component would've been good too.

I have a NSW licence now and I get my full licence in just under a year. It bothers me that I have to live with NSW restrictions, that are intended to nurse-maid teenagers. The ACT laws reward older P-platers, and here I get treated like a dumb young kid that can't be trusted. Yeah, that's probably the most emo thing I'll say all day. ;) Seriously though, I can't wait to get my full licence.

New laws / restrictions are a joke.
People who are obeying the law are not the ones crashing, therefore new laws will not help at all.

I saw a 4x4 with mags the other day.. would never have even been off the road in it's life.

Also i have no probs with people wanting to find somewhere out whoop whoop to do burn outs or whatever the kids do.. just when they go down the suburban street next to my folks at some unearthly speed at 1 in the morning because it's long and straight but still a back road... it's THOSE sorts of people who should never have gotten their licenses. But if an examiner can tick the boxes during an exam... then who cares what the kid does to themselves afterwards hey.

I like the idea of making it harder to get your license, but only because i've already got mine so i won't have to go through it all again! Terrible i know.

I think ppl should be forced to see what damage cars can do to ppl before they get their licence, it may be a little gory but there are alot of idiots who are to stupid to think of the danger associated with power they are in control of. They should also get ppl who have killed ppl by speeding and drink driving to explain how it has messed up their lives knowing they intentionally did something that caused someone to die or be partially splattered/damaged. Intentionally endangering others and killing them is worse than murder IMO and should be treated as such definately no "accident" when you are wasted or speeding 40 over the limit.

I also think there should be stronger restrictions on ppl who are simply too dangerous, such as ppl who constantly drive dangerously and ppl with health problems(including mental problems) that make them a danger on the road.

It would also be good if you could report bad drivers so they had to redo a driving test and have the driving tests so only safe drivers can pass. The current system of GPs letting completely incompetent drivers drive because they arnt brave enough to tell them they cant is just stupid.

Kids also need more places where they can easily get to and go for a strap without risking any innocent ppl, most kids would prefer this over speeding dangerously around the streets IMO.

The police also need to get their act together as any street racer would know how to get them to call off the chase, simply drive dangerously. In this way police are actually encouraging dangerous driving.

it sucks for people who want to ride bikes and dont have there full car licence, because you need to have held your car provisional for a year as a min before you can go for your bike learners.

Personally I think you should be able to report bad drivers - like using their number plate, date, time etc. A lot of people will do "hooning" but I agree that if they are given somewhere they are allowed to do it then they will go there. I think it is people who have road rage that cause a lot of accidents or people who don't have a lot of experience or aren't good drivers.

I don't have my license - I have had my learners since I was in grade 12. I have driven with my parents and had lots of lessons because I felt more comfortable driving with someone who can brake etc. I went for my test twice and failed because I get far too nervous and can't calm down. I can drive a manual, I just don't show that properly as I don't do well in tests - even at school.

After failing for the 2nd time I decided I would drive with my bf when he got his opens (August) until I felt comfortable driving. Now I can't drive with him until next year because of the new laws! I have been pressured by my bf's parents to get my license but I would rather wait until I feel comfortable driving on my own. Not everyone cheats to get their license - even if I had passed those tests I would not have driven by myself and my bf agreed that it was a good idea until I felt I was a good driver. I don't mind the new system other than I know have to wait another year before I can start driving again (and that I will be asked when I will be getting my license when we have already explained it many times!).

Clairebear you aren't getting out of this easy!!!!! I think you should have to do update tests at the very least every 5yrs :lol:

Good point Cris about the reporting of bad drivers. Nobody seems to be held accountable for bad and dangerous driving.

As for the comment on Police. Dad has whinged about this for years after some new rules came in that forbid a chase if its seen as dangerous!!!! I remember Dad saying that 'in the good old days' there were actually alot less road fatalities, less hoons and Police were able to chase a hoon done and charge them if need be. I dont knwo whetehr this is actually true or Dad was just having one of those 'back in my day we werent as bad as you' moments :lol:

And yes apparently it is 100hrs now but when I went through it was only 50hrs.

Krystal you are definately doing the right thing by not getting your licence until you are comfortable. If other drivers showed that type of responsibility we wouldnt even be having this conversation :lol:

I can tell you now the power restrictions on V8's and Turbo's etc etc dont work, people get around it somehow im guessing they claim it as the 'family car' and they have nothing else cause ive seen P platers etc that are in new v8 holden/ford.

Yep that and you just take your P plates off..... thats what they do back home.... always have :rolleyes:

The other thing is there is only one way to know exactly what is under the bonnet.....

khagan - in many cases v8s can be safer than less powerful cars because they tend to have more safety features like ABS, traction control, DSC etc etc.. however that said yes they are more powerful and yes there are heaps of p platers in both turbo and v8 cars. if they are on greens then they may be doing it legally because some green p platers got in before the laws kicked in.. (i missed out by like 2 months).

although in NSW if you look at the restricted car list it gives a reason as to why each car is banned. like turbo, supercharged, V8, V10, V12. but when i wrote to the rta to ask if you were allowed to drive these cars if you took the turbo off they couldnt give me a response... maybe thats what some people are doing ???? i had to look around for months to find a manual non turbo car....

swing - my dad often tells me stories of what he and his mates used to do in their cars.... and its alot worse than any of my mates are doing these days......

however back then there were alot less cars on the road and more room for error.......

this whole situation is just another case of the few ruining it for the many and its sad.........

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back