Zombie rat kills snake

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
wow,that's some pretty full on graphic stuff for this time of the morning.but hey,there is a thread going of roadkill pics,now i gotta ask myself,why roadkill pics?why this pic?i enjoy me pets cos they are breathing and moving,what's the big deal at the mo with dead reps etc?prety sick really.

So far 16 people "like" this thread, What the hell is there to like. Am I missing something?
It's a graphic warning. With graphic pics what do you like?

I'm pretty sure the "likes" are applied to individual posts, the number in the top right corner is just the total number of individual likes occuring in this thread.

maybe the fresh killed people should actually break the rats neck once its been smashed,...just to make sure its good and dead and wont be waking up.

terrible lesson ur mate learnt, hopefully others will learn from it too. :(

Im going on 30 and I know when I was young (I think maybe 5 or 6) a very similar incident happened to my Uncle. He threw a live rat in with his snake and walked away. Im not sure of a time frame but i assume some time later he found his snake with a huge hole in its head. Only thing I do know is it was not a Diamond Python. These sorts os sad things do in fact happen but I think instead of judging we need to learn the lesson and stick with frozen feeding. One I think its illegal to feed live anyways and two, its much safer for our animals.

wow,that's some pretty full on graphic stuff for this time of the morning.but hey,there is a thread going of roadkill pics,now i gotta ask myself,why roadkill pics?why this pic?i enjoy me pets cos they are breathing and moving,what's the big deal at the mo with dead reps etc?prety sick really.

IF you don't like it or understand it, don't look at it Sookie.
The people who found those roadkill shots care more for reptiles and wildlife then most people you know.
Finding a dead animal in one place can be an amazing thing. For example my friend found a dead tiger snake on the sunshine coast! That is amazing! That means there is a population of them there!

There is a video out there somewhere that shows exactly how this happened

It is far more common than most people think
Rats are ferocious predators
They probably kill more young snakes than any other animal

I am a complete and utter newbie, I have no snakes/reptiles as I'm still in the research stage, and being in this stage makes me a sponge for knowledge with everything I read. Books, forums etc.
This thread sang out one bold thing to me and that is that with feeding fresh kill there is a danger. A danger that could possibly harm my pet (when i get one).
Regardless of the specific details, it is this message that i take on board. I planned to feed frozen and thawed kill to my pet anyway, but even if maybe chose to feed fresh killed, i will remember this thread and posts, and others on this topic too. As for the pic, there was no shock factor. I believe it makes you think harder about the possible dangers to your pet, and personally, i imagined reptile owners to be quiet thick skinned.

It is your post Junty that gives me, and I'm sure others here, a great sense of pride in that a "newbie" in the "research stage" is taking all this on board. For which, I applaud you! :)

As for the "thick skin"... well, we have to have "something" under our scales, don't we?! ;)

Good work Junty, keep it up!

Best,
Carolyn

I am a complete and utter newbie, I have no snakes/reptiles as I'm still in the research stage, and being in this stage makes me a sponge for knowledge with everything I read. Books, forums etc.
This thread sang out one bold thing to me and that is that with feeding fresh kill there is a danger. A danger that could possibly harm my pet (when i get one).
Regardless of the specific details, it is this message that i take on board. I planned to feed frozen and thawed kill to my pet anyway, but even if maybe chose to feed fresh killed, i will remember this thread and posts, and others on this topic too. As for the pic, there was no shock factor. I believe it makes you think harder about the possible dangers to your pet, and personally, i imagined reptile owners to be quiet thick skinned.

Ditto LL, It's a breath of fresh air to hear someone doing the study before and not other way round. I can sense we will hear positive stories/outcomes from you Junty ;)

Defrosted for mine always....thought I'd add to stay on topic ;)

Nice work Junty!
Fresh killed is sometimes (very very rarely) the only way to get an animal feeding.
Just have to be careful and make sure it is dead!

Nice work Junty. Good to hear someone doing the proper research. As for the thick-skinned thing, I don't know if that applies to a lot of people on here.
As someone said earlier, CD after the knock on the head would make sure the job is done properly anyway. Sorry to hear about your friend Inkage. I guess if people didn't make mistakes like this we wouldn't learn as a community

I'm pretty sure the "likes" are applied to individual posts, the number in the top right corner is just the total number of individual likes occuring in this thread.

Alrighty, thanks for that never knew : )

If you click on the number it also brings up a list of all of the liked comments and how many each one has

If you click on the number it also brings up a list of all of the liked comments and how many each one has

Ha ha, never knew that either!
So if I like your posts for informing me how it works I will be adding to what I was
moaning about. Ha ha a little bit of hypocrisy for the day. I like that!

There is no excuse for this sort of thing to happen. But thats me.
If your in that much of a rush, don't feed the snake.

Adult Diamonds shouldn't be feeding now anyway, unless its a female that laid eggs this year and she'still a bit thin on it.

Well as Shaka ZULU said -"Never leave an enemy behind or it will rise again to fly at your throat."

I know he would have been talking about rats for sure!!!!!!

Rats....can't live with em can't live without em....

*sigh* No Inkage, that's not what I inferred at all, if anything, I'm saying your friend is telling you porkies, or at least, not the whole truth of events.

why is it on this site, everyone feels as if they are personally being attacked at every point? take some chill pills and consider not everyone is out to suppress and get you all.

fresh kill feeding is entirely safe if you follow some simple rules and common sense guidelines.

yes, very much so, I'd hate to think you ask the same question in a trial or something :eek:

what event led to what and how are entirely important as is the CORRECT message, not some emotive rubbish designed to scare newbies into pulling the party line.
as for the rest of your ranting post, it holds no bearing in this discussion what so ever.

Surely you are kidding right. He might feel attacked because you made it personal. You flat out called him a liar. Not his friend but him. Maybe try saying I think your mate might have stretched the truth rather than your story doesn't add up and I don't believe you next time.

As far as you knowing the time line that is a bit ridiculous. Are you a neurosurgeon? I know that when I just did a neuro science class in uni we learnt it was impossible to be able to see the extent of damage and estimate time to recover with appropriate scans. Maybe you can come teach us and the surgeons sure would save lots of time and money.

Also your remark about court has no bearing on this conversation or at least I didn't think it did, was the rat on trial? The timeline is insignificant. Whether he left that rat in there for 1 hour or 2372 hours he left it in there without supervision. That is the lesson and that is all that matters. I really get the sense you're nit picking for the sake of it.

Lastly you opened a thread that said zombie rat killed snake. Did it not cross your mind that it might have a picture? I know it did mine. Should everyone sensor everything on here for people who can't think for themselves?
Don't take this the wrong way though I'm not out to suppress you.

yea, I'm sorry but your story doesn't quite cut it, for a rat to do THAT kind of damage, it was left in there for at least a full day or more, a rat (or anything) that's been smashed in the head will not be wanting to eat for QUITE some time to say the least.
no one with any sense throws a fresh kill in and doesn't watch it until it's gone.

I'm sure there's far more to this story than we've been told and led to believe.

and why would you even SHOW that kind of picture on here? you could have told the story without inflicting shock on unsuspecting reptile lovers.

*shakes head in shame*

A rat could do that very quickly, I see them powering through big chunks of fruit and various things I feed them. It definitely wouldn't need a whole day. Especially seeing as it would be doing it in fear to defend itself not just because it was hungry after a bad headache!

The picture was very powerful for me and I am glad it was included - I sometimes fresh kill for my Diamonds because they can be quite slow and fussy... I have always been careful and never left them unsupervised while eating fresh kill, but I will not be forgetting that image and I agree with Jen - nothing comes back from cervical dislocation.

There is nothing wrong with fresh kill if it is done correctly.. I know I prefer to eat fresh food over frozen!

Surely you are kidding right. He might feel attacked because you made it personal. You flat out called him a liar. Not his friend but him. Maybe try saying I think your mate might have stretched the truth rather than your story doesn't add up and I don't believe you next time.
only if someone were too self involved would they feel this, following the logic of the post, one can see that I only attacked the story it's self, not the poster who made it (unless they are the same person)
I sometimes forget that people generally aren't logical, and thus would feel personally attacked because I wouldn't believe a story they told me.
to me it was pretty overwhelmingly obvious that I was disbelieving the story, not the poster.

As far as you knowing the time line that is a bit ridiculous. Are you a neurosurgeon? I know that when I just did a neuro science class in uni we learnt it was impossible to be able to see the extent of damage and estimate time to recover with appropriate scans. Maybe you can come teach us and the surgeons sure would save lots of time and money.
as I said, personal experience of over half a decade of breeding thousands of rats and a LOT of fresh kill feeding.
I've seen any number of rats recover after being smacked in the head, I don't say it's impossible this event could have happened, but in the time frame, it's unlikely, you can disregard the time line as much as you want, but it is important to burden of proof when this thread has been turned into a anti fresh kill theme.
alarmist rhetoric and FUD have taken over, including trying to portray me as attacking people which is clearly untrue.

Also your remark about court has no bearing on this conversation or at least I didn't think it did, was the rat on trial? The timeline is insignificant. Whether he left that rat in there for 1 hour or 2372 hours he left it in there without supervision. That is the lesson and that is all that matters. I really get the sense you're nit picking for the sake of it.
indeed I have nit picked, for good reason, several people have claimed outright that fresh kill feeding is not safe, but that's only true if it's unsupervised and done without following safety rules, and i have said this clearly, I have been pedantic for this reason, how is it your don't see this?

Lastly you opened a thread that said zombie rat killed snake. Did it not cross your mind that it might have a picture? I know it did mine. Should everyone sensor everything on here for people who can't think for themselves?
Don't take this the wrong way though I'm not out to suppress you.
the least that could have been done is a clear warning, I'm not the only one who disagrees with the imagery used solely to discredit fresh kill feeding, heck there could have been a plain link to the picture so people could still see it, with a "warning graphic image" tag over it, and all would have been fine.
would you have said the same of a dog forum with a graphic image of a dog dead on the road after being hit by a car, warning to keep your dog contained? people would have been outraged to say the least, but because it's a reptile and not warm and fuzzy it's all ok?
I don't think so.

A rat could do that very quickly, I see them powering through big chunks of fruit and various things I feed them. It definitely wouldn't need a whole day. Especially seeing as it would be doing it in fear to defend itself not just because it was hungry after a bad headache!
a bad headache? if you smack a rat against a wall HARD, it's not a case of a simple head ache.
unless said whacking wasn't done with force enough to attempt to kill the rat (which is possible), again it comes down to supervision and following some simple safety rules, which obviously weren't.

The picture was very powerful for me and I am glad it was included - I sometimes fresh kill for my Diamonds because they can be quite slow and fussy... I have always been careful and never left them unsupervised while eating fresh kill, but I will not be forgetting that image and I agree with Jen - nothing comes back from cervical dislocation.
I changed over to gas, for this very reason, but even then, I've seen rats recover, but I always supervised thus I avoided an incident.

There is nothing wrong with fresh kill if it is done correctly.. I know I prefer to eat fresh food over frozen!

agreed, as long as people don't get complacent, there's no need to call out for not fresh kill feeding (as has been seen in multiple posts)
there is need however to reinforce people taking care.

Last edited by a moderator:

Precisely.
In my opinion, anyone with half a brain would have realised there was a good chance of a photo or two, and take that into consideration when opening the thread.
I did, and immediately went to the second post. I have not, and will not, look at the pics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back