Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd like to see the inky black of a BHP extended across its whole body. Anyone know what causes the black to be in the head only?

Anyone know what causes the black to be in the head only?

No but it's a damn good reason for calling them black headed pythons huh???

By the way pugsly that's the darkest diamond aka swamp monster i've evr seen,i really really like it!It's almost as dark or has just as much black as the hyper darwin,wild lookin snake for sure!!!

Eeewww it looks burnt...

Not my cup of tea, personally.

But very cool and different to see one like that.

love the darker diamonds but they are the best iv ever seen id rather one of them than a high yellow any day:D

Interesting. Where do the records of Leiopython on Dauan and Saibai some from? Authorities such as Harold Cogger and Dave and Tracy Barker report them from these islands. Have people managed to confirm that they are not on these islands? How was that done? The Barkers (and others) suggest that they may also be on Boigu.

To my knowledge, only Ehmann published claims of unconfirmed reports of them on the mainland (along the Pascoe River), but I agree with almost everyone else that this came from misidentified Water Pythons.

John,

They have never been recorded on the mainland, nor in any reputable references reported them on the Cape either.

I am well aware of the "Australian" Islands just off the coast of PNG eg Sabai etc

NO Records of Leiopython are known from Australia or any of its Island territories.

If you read my post I did not make an exception for the torres strait islands as they quite simply are not recorded there.

D' albertis are a upland species restricted to closed forest and rainforest in the Southern Parts of their range (generally the southern form is found below the Owen Stanley Range).

In the 2 most recent publications covering Queensland's herpetofauna they were excluded both times, along with 2 varanid species that are yet to be confirmed within Australia (finschi and doreanus) by any Australian Museum or Parks office.

Regards,
Scott Eipper

John,

qm has done alot of work on those islands and are yet to record them there

Are you saying that Hal Cogger and the barkers caught them there, or that they have been collected by someone from there?

Cheers,
Scott

Someone say Black Diamonds?
For a snake that usually has fairly well developed heat pits, that diamond seems to be severely lacking them.......either that or my eyes are playing tricks. In that forth photo i cannot make them out.

Cheers guys, there's 3 different snakes there lol.

First 2 aren't mine, last one is.

As for heat pits mate, there there, she is an old girl, with a big head! lol.

Good point Scott, we forget that the Barkers and most american breeders have the privilage importing these animals. The animals themselves are collected by locals and after collecting hundreds of these snakes for the pet trade who really knows where they came from. Usually they are collected and placed in old oil drums. And once a month someone comes around a collects all the snakes from the villages. I dont trust reports. Unless someone caught and actually documented the animals accurately its all heresay!!!!!

So argumentative!

No, I'm not saying that the Cogger or the Barkers personally collected them, I'm not sure why you feel the need to be sarcastic. These authorities (and others), do (or at least did) believe that they had been collected there by other people. I'm asking whether or not you know how the snakes were recorded on the islands in the first place. For a long time it was thought (and apparently still is) by several highly respected authorities that the snakes were there, so, if you are making the claim that they are not there, you must know something about those original records. As someone who has gone out into the field quite a lot, you know very well that it's not at all uncommon to search hard for a long time and not find something, even when it's quite common in an area. Not finding something doesn't prove it isn't there, finding something does prove that it is there (yes, mistakes are made with records, I know), so positive records are more valuable than negative records. I am not looking for a fight as you seem to assume, sorry, I know you love them but some people are more interested in learning. No one benefits from a squabble, I am just interested in knowing what the situation is with Leiopython in Torres Straight. If you have something useful to say, please do so, if you'd rather squabble and be sarcastic, knock yourself out.

Cheers.

John,

qm has done alot of work on those islands and are yet to record them there

Are you saying that Hal Cogger and the barkers caught them there, or that they have been collected by someone from there?

Cheers,
Scott

I was under the impression it was Morelia albertisii? When did the name change happen???? In 1990 the name was changed to Morelia albertisii? I just dont get it? Is there a different classification system that reptile experts go by in Australia???

Not being saracastic at all john.....I just can't see how they could be there in the first place, those Mud islands that they are "recorded from" are not the right habitat.

So I stand by my original comment that they are not in Australia or its territories outside of the couple that were in a collection in South Australia.

I believe the records are similar to the 2 records of a Western Australian Ctenotus from near Inveloch in Victoria, while they are technically valid the still most likely in error.

Cheers,
Scott Eipper

I would more than happy to eat humble pie if the record is proven without doubt, but at this stage I doubt they will be found.

Cheers,
Scott

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back