Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think there are good and bad in both senior/expert keepers, and junior/inexperienced keepers... Everyone has their strengths and weaknesses.

There are a lot of armchair professionals, who jump onto forums with limited knowledge... Some of them have been in the hobby for decades, so it certainly isn't something limited to the 'newbies.'

I've been interested in reptiles for roughly a decade, and have only been keeping them for about 3 years, and I agree with many of the comments made here... that it is a healthy thing when someone says they still have plenty to learn, regardless of their time in the hobby/community.

I think it's important to note two things... having seen a few comments on this forum I haven't really agreed with:
1 - Age is not a determining factor of 'experience,' and too many people get slammed on this forum for their age, with wild assumptions made about their level of knowledge/experience.
2 - It is important to have tolerence for the young/inexperienced... They are the future of the 'hobby,' and they are where our next batch of Simon Stones and Peter Krausses will come from... JMO.

Anyone who thinks they know everything about reptiles are fooling themselves, even the most experienced.
Like I have said before....ask ten top herpers one question and you will probably get ten different answers, none of them wrong.....just what works for them.
One thing great about life....you do never stop learning.

agreed. everone is an over-night google expert here. and the real experts are too fed up with all the pretenders to bother contributing anymore <-- in general at least.

I think that is why we no longer have some of the long time members that were full of information and great to get ideas from, too many people think they know it all these days. I miss the older days when this site was actualy useful and not just idiodic chit chat.

Your spot on Langy,there is so many ppl that own reptiles that are so scared of being biten,come on, they are reptiles,they arnt fluffy little toys.Mossies and green ants have worse bites than hatchies.Someone that i no has been in the reptile scenario for over 30 years,and he is still learning new tricks of the trade.If i ever have a problem,he is the first person i call for advice,as previously stated asking 10 top ppl that have been involved in reptiles one question,your most likely going to get a few different answers,most of the time,theres no right way,what works great for one,might not work well for others etc.Same as with incubating,there is dozens of ways to do it,its about personal preference.But to sum it all up,if your too scared to be biten by a 10inch snake,go and buy a goldfish.....

I dont think that many people on this site will acknowlege them selves as Herp Experts, but i do think that when you have had experience with a certain type of snake or lizard for sometime you are entiteled to have your own idea about how to do things, which you would give if someone asked. I have been into herps for about 6 months and only got my first lizard about a month back, even though i am by no means an expert i do think that i have researched enough to give people advice on any problems they might have, not saying i would get it right but i would give it a go.

I think the real problem on this site isnt the inexperienced, its the people who rekon their answer is the ONLY answer or straight out lie about the extent of their experience.
Hey i havent been in this hobby for long but if someone asks a question ill give an answer to the best of my limited knowledge, and hopefully someone will correct me if im horribly wrong. Its the only way to learn and become an "experienced breeder" imo

Where do you draw the line though on who is an expert and who is an experienced keeper? I believe someone who's successfully kept reptiles for years could be considered an expert and at the same time not. Years does not equate knowledge and vice versa. Can someone with a degree in biology or someone that has a degree in herpetology be considered an expert without ever having kept reptiles themselves as a hobby?
Due to forums and the internet these days it is possible to have a vast knowledge without even owning a reptile yet, it's just a matter of filtering and sorting through the vast amount of information out there some of it absolute crap and some nothing but pure gold.
Then again it begs the question of no matter how much you know it does'nt stack up to the real thing. The subject seems to be a double edge sword and it would be up to the individual to figure out what's right and wrong.

there is NO such thing as an expert, experienced maybe
the day you think you know it all is the day you should stop living.......................

Last edited:
Love what you said. I personally found this years expo at Castle Hill to be the biggest treat as it's a pain to get into the city for the AHS meetings. So being there, able to ask all the questions to some great oldies and learn some cool stuff. I think that's the best way to learn, internet's good, but it doesn't beat the real herpies....But everyone here's awesome:D

Long post-sorry

I have to disagree with those saying if you're scared of getting bitten you shouldn't own reptiles! Surely people have to start somewhere. And if they have always loved/wanted/been interested in owning a reptile-why not? As long as you have done your research and know what their needs are, being scared of a bite is not a good enough reason not to get one (So long as it doesn't affect them attending to their needs).

I never had much interest in keeping pythons-my hubby had wanted one for years, so I bought him one for his birthday just over 12 months ago. We now have a small collection, and I have learnt so much about them. Through reading, forums, getting to know our collection. It's opened a whole new world for me, and in doing so, I have opened up the eyes of several people, who had previously had a very negative attitude towards any snake.

I am amazed by every one of our pythons, and have become very attached to them. I am one of those people who has a constant fear of being bitten (particularly by the snappy hatchies :D), but love to handle them!
Neither my husband or myself consider ourselves to be anywhere near expert, and are happy to hear advice from anyone. It's like anything in life-there can be many ways to do one thing, and you never know whose advice will work for you!

To be honest, I'm happy more people are getting into the hobby and showing interest, because that means less people with the attitude 'the only good snake is a dead snake'.
And as far as being a cool new fad that people get bored with, it happens with cute, fluffy animals too-remember, a puppy's not just for Christmas! :D

Just my opinion!

Yep. agreed.

Im 21 and ive been keeping snakes for almost 8 years.
and i know for a fact that i dont know half of what there is to know about these creatures.
Everyday is a learning experience!
And i wouldnt have snakes if i didnt expect to get bitten every now and then.
i think handling with gloves is pretty silly. id be scared of squeezing of not knowing how much pressure i was using through the gloves and injuring them.

edit - i agree with that too mudimans, im still scared of big teeth driving though my flesh, lol. but i expect it to happen every now and then owning a reptile. and i think people shouldnt own them if they think its never gonna happen. :)

Last edited:
Agree with you mudimans about the biting and the people who aren't so scared of the snakes anymore:D
I'm not scared of being bitten, I'll be changing my little guys water he'll come as to say "What are you doing?" And I just move slowly, I don't care about the bite, but I flinch like a little sisi girl, no matter how ready I am for something. So I don't wanna hurt him at all by giving him the inscentive to bit me...And no gloves:D

i remember those good old days...
when keeping information was hard to come by, reptile specific products non existent, and you pretty much had to rely on catching your animals cos bugger all people were breeding and even those that were did not have this internet thingy to advertise on.

haveing reptiles is like haveing a baby dosent mater how much info you get in to you nothing will ever truly prepare you for the real thing just like the kia add said even the best layed plans go awry just if you lose your job you can still keep the reptile lol

Agree

When I first started to read your post I thought here we go but having finished it can't agree more.

I've been keeping reps for quite a few years and am always learning something. I'm lucky that I'm a member of the VHS and have a good relationship with several people there. This makes me a better keepr, attending meetings (whilst I have been unable of late) is vital.

My grandma always said, "You learn something until the day you die" How true.

To the people on this site that do give advice............please do not say it as if it is gospel. Maybe we should all say, "From my experience" or words to that effect.

I can remember some advice that was given to a member not too long ago that said to use fabric softner to remove skin then did'nt shed peoperly and the snake ended up dying as a result. To give incorrect information (although your best intentions were there) is a mistake BUT to give incorrect information on purpose (and I know this happens on here) is wrong and can have dire consequences.

Sometimes we all act too quickly but maybe we should all sit back now and then and think twice before we type. If we are not 100% sure we should'nt act.

And you to those who have mentioned that good people have left this site as a result of the hobby becoming popular and there for bringing tards in...........well I could'nt agree with you more.

We have lost so many good people from this site it is not funny. I myself did'nt have much to do on here for nearly 12 months because of the influx.

Whilst this influx is great, as it means we are growing as a hobby and there for breaking down the barriers that Reptiles etc are slimy dangerous creature, we must also consider that if we are doing the wrong thing it will only be magnified and take away from the good work that the majority of herpers have done.

That's my rant for today. The boss thinks I have been busy busting my chops typing away and is taking me out to lunch for all my hard work. Got to go:lol::oops::lol:

Must say a lot of the original members have long moved on....... it's very sad. They were very informative and believe it or not you'd hang off their every word when they would answer a thread. I thought I myself would never say it but "The good ol days" LOL. But is very good to see the Aussie Pythons Forum growing every week with new members. New people/members = lots of new undiscovered creative ideas. :p

i read about people who own snakes and lizards but are too scared to pick them up because of fear of getting bitten, or even worse wear gloves to handle them, all i can say is you have chosen a very wrong pet or hobby as they are not fluffy pets they are predators and will bite if hungry or annoyed, and dont like you pulling them out of there enclosure to show everyong who comes through your door to make yourself feel cool that you have a snake..

Right on!! This particular point really annoys me about people. I couldn't agree more, there are too many people out there with not enough respect for these incredible creatures, treating them more like a fashion accessory, sickens me!

I knew it all years ago when I became a teenager....

Haha...good on ya!!!

My first interest in snakes was when I was 6/7 but didnt get my first until I was 37. In that time I always read, watched, listened and learned as much as I could as they fascinated me. Does that mean I have 30 odd years of experience of not having them?

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back