Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think a great way to ensure people know how to take care of reptiles and are prepared for the basics of husbandry would be to introduce a testing system or a system where you need a reccomendation from a licensed keeper to obtain even a basic permit. At least if you had to go to the effort of learning from your local herp society or a generous keeper before purchasing an animal it may weed out some of the fools that buy a snake on a whim and want to get rid of it when it doesnt want to cuddle all day long.

I personally think motives are irrelevant. What matters is the respect you have for the animals and the way you treat them

I am by no means an expert, but you can tell those who are serious and those who are trendy, often by the large number of posts right at the beginning of their time, I try only to post about things I may be able to help with, not just attitude.

Some People get into herps as a way to make money.

Experienced keepers making money on the side is a bit different and i didn't say i was against that , i ment newbies coming into the hobby with the intention of makin money for that reason only.

The money argument surfaces on here so often...
I tend to agree with Smokey's statement...

If someone has an interest in herps, and has kept them for a while, and realises that they have an opportunity to make some money... where is the harm? As long as they don't exploit anyone in the process.
If an outsider enters the 'hobby' purely to make money, then this is not an ideal situation - BUT if they care for the animals correctly, does it really matter?

I also can't help but feel (and I know some people will stubbornly disagree - perhaps proving my point) that a lot of people who complain about the money being made are doing so for one of two reasons:
1 - They wish they could do it, but have not had breeding success.
2 - They wish they had the money to buy some of the more expensive specimens, so it is in their best interests to complain, and try and drive prices down.

In this 'hobby,' far too often, 'Those who can't do - complain and moan about those who can!'

agreed. although my self i have been keeping reptiles my whole life ( lizards for most) i still only know a scratch in the paint if you catch my drift. i learn more and more as i go i have acted like a know it all, pissed some people of and said stuf i shouldnt of which i am sorry for.

alot of people are jumping straight it buying the most expensive or prettiest snake they see and its stuffed.

animals die or get injured or ill because they are the latest craze. people need to have respect for the animals, over come there fears not just for them but for the animals.

Damien

I haven't read through this entire post so sorry if I'm repeating what is already said.

I've been keeping reptiles for about 20 years now and mainly concentrating on pythons for about the last 6 years. My collection is small, 9 animals but like most collections it is always expanding. I'm by no means an expert, nor w3ould I ever consider myself an expert.

Those that consider themselves experterts are bordering on arrogance and with arrogance comes the closed minded, unwillingness to learn and take on new techniques, experiences etc that others have tried and tested and found to be effective. As the hobby grows so will the technology and the amount of information that is available.

There is a trent within online communities to promote ones 'ranking' against peers. This is, I believe due to certain 'expert' keepers' derogoritory attitude towards the newer people within the hobby.

This negative attitude is in turn sub-conciously forcing newer keepers to retaliate and defend themselves. This is where the 'know it all' attitudes begin.

There is so much competition within the herp world, mostly stemming from online communities but whay everyone really needs to acknowledge and remember is that we all started somewhere and without assistance or 'mentors' alot of you probably wouldn't be the 'experts' you are today.

Newer, less experienced members, if you are unsure about something, ask for help and don't give advice if you don't truly know the answer for, and the more experienced members, step back a little and give the newer members a chance. Help out when its needed and stop stroking your own ego.

Agreed liveandkicking...I was actually at the Aussie Reptile Park at Gosford a fe weeks back and the guy who does the show, who seemed to be a very experienced handler and confident in what he did was talking about the BHP. And he was doing some advertising for their supplier SnakeRanch.com.au...Which I thought was ok, until he said, you'dd need to fork out about $800-$1000, get a pair of these and you can make quite a bit of dough(sp?) back on them...And went on to say...Yes, they're lookng much more attractive now aren't they.

I was thinking at the time...Noo! Please don't say that! Because people do sadly go into this for the money, I'm contempt with just one lovely snake, watching him move, investigate, and anything else is such a treat.

I remember the first person i knew who wore a hypercolor t shirt was filthy when everyone got them. while there is some merit in what you say, i think you will find that most internet sites are the same, it is the internet after all and it lies. we are all aware of that. There is more good infomation available on this site than not so why so harsh? I thought the original poster on this thread just sounded full of resentment, just look at the tittle. Get over it buddy you are not the only one who has hobby in herps.
PS I know everything there is to know, just ask me hahah

Have been keeping reptiles on and off since about 12 - 13 . Baby Brown from the paddock next door and a rather large Goanna . Still amazed at how little l know , This site is so good for every level of experience to exchange ideas . Ask questions , report helpful discoveries you have made and just talk about reptiles . As for money l dont need to make mega bucks from breeding so any excess hatchies l either give to friends and relatives or sell at nominal prices so people can afford them .

ok when i started this thread i'd had a couple of red wine's and was on my high horse a bit. Didn't realize it would turn into a" who's a expert and who's a not thread" .i was really just telling all the new people to the reptile keeping world to just chill out a bit and not have to comment on everything and give advice that they have just read on the internet. Personally i think it takes many years with a individual specie to get the true understandind of it in particular,this will be my last ever comment on this site, as im really over it and will just enjoy my own collection, thats enough for me

ok when i started this thread i'd had a couple of red wine's and was on my high horse a bit.

I've discovered it's best not to post AT ALL when under the influence of red wine... or any other alcohol for that matter!:D:oops::D:oops:

ok when i started this thread i'd had a couple of red wine's and was on my high horse a bit. Didn't realize it would turn into a" who's a expert and who's a not thread" .i was really just telling all the new people to the reptile keeping world to just chill out a bit and not have to comment on everything and give advice that they have just read on the internet. Personally i think it takes many years with a individual specie to get the true understandind of it in particular,this will be my last ever comment on this site, as im really over it and will just enjoy my own collection, thats enough for me

well said, i think everyone is making a big deal over nothing, all you have to know is if you have kept reptiles and in your experiance you know a few things, its alright to share them, if you dont know what your talking about, be safe, never say any advice that could result badly. but its alright! have fun! dont stress over whether to follow advice! just make sure your reptile ids happy with it!:):D:lol:

i agree with whats been said about not replying if you dont know things

you say its safer not to drink and post

i say its safer to just not post lol

DUDE GET A LIFE-
'snakes are a lifestyle' -it's this sort of elitist atitude that I find a bit '****y'. I think maybe you need to find a life. and you feel like you have the right to critisize those who choose not to handle their snakes because you were there from the start and have bred your own rats and mice. what a crock of _____. what ever happened to 'live and let live', and each to his or her own, the only concern I have is the snakes welfare and if all the basics are taken care off then who cares whether people handle or not handle their snakes,that's their own business. Im sure if you ask the snake it would rather you didnt get your filthy hands all over it.
And Im glad pet shops sells frozen rats and mice because I otherwise wouldnt be able to have my snakes as I am not able to breed my own rats and mice because my partner would allow me to and Im sure here a lot out there in similar situations. And its good that the hobby is growing fast and there a lot of breeders out there, it drives prices more competitively and in this country so far it has been regulated well and it ensures a lot of species exist long term and it also supports those species that are in trouble by raising awareness thru forums like this one.
it is a fast growing hobby and it will no doubt go thru all the growing pains all previous other pets have gone thru. your dirty on the fact that you are no longer different as your hobby has become popular and nit pick on details that are irrelevant and matters little.
Dude I'd say get a life and be happy.

he exaggerated about how much he loves herps , gee ...give him a break

I think that is why we no longer have some of the long time members that were full of information and great to get ideas from, too many people think they know it all these days. I miss the older days when this site was actualy useful and not just idiodic chit chat.

I have only been a member here for a couple of years and whilst I don't know who has come and gone I agree a lot of people just make commentws for the sake of making a comment and don't actually contribute to the question or topic.

I think if more people just browsed and only added useful information then we could cut out the chaff and everyone would have more time to learning rather than just trolling through 10 pages of inane comments when the mosrt usefull info was on the first couple.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back