debate about smacking children

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Smack

I was smacked when I did something wrong or something that was dangerous.

I smacked my kids when they were young and if they were being spoilt brats, fighting or doing something dangerous.

I'm sick of people saying you should'nt smack. I repsect their opinion if they choose not to but I don't appreciate being told that it's wrong.

My argument is this; When I was a kid the teachers could give us the strap, the Police were able to give crooks and the like a bit of a touch up. There was a certain amount of respect paid to teachers, Police and any other person in authority including parents.

These days it is : Don't touch me or I'll sue. Police can;t even slap handcuffs on people for fear of being labelled with a Police brutallity charge, teachers cop being spat at / sworn at etc etc.

Discipline is what is needed, especially in these times. I had respect for people when I was young. If we did something wrong an adult would threaten to kick us in the a$$. If we have a go at kids these days they will threaten to stab or bash you.

Just to finish off I am not implying that the youth of today all have no respect because the vast majority do.

I was smacked as a child and I think it shaped me into who I am now. When I have children I will smack then, not hard enough to hurt them but more for the shock factor and only on the backside.

My dad has scars up his arms from getting hit by teachers with metal rulers when he was at school. He was a trouble making kid though and says that he deserved them and made him the person he is now.

I have to say though that when I was in my teens I had respect for older people and never mouthed off to anyone, today younger kids seem to have no respect or fear for older people and push the limits of what they can get away with. There is a lack of discipline in todays society.

I was smacked when I did something wrong or something that was dangerous.

I smacked my kids when they were young and if they were being spoilt brats, fighting or doing something dangerous.

I'm sick of people saying you should'nt smack. I repsect their opinion if they choose not to but I don't appreciate being told that it's wrong.

My argument is this; When I was a kid the teachers could give us the strap, the Police were able to give crooks and the like a bit of a touch up. There was a certain amount of respect paid to teachers, Police and any other person in authority including parents.

These days it is : Don't touch me or I'll sue. Police can;t even slap handcuffs on people for fear of being labelled with a Police brutallity charge, teachers cop being spat at / sworn at etc etc.

Discipline is what is needed, especially in these times. I had respect for people when I was young. If we did something wrong an adult would threaten to kick us in the a$$. If we have a go at kids these days they will threaten to stab or bash you.

Just to finish off I am not implying that the youth of today all have no respect because the vast majority do.

100% agree mate, i was flogged and i learned my lesson really quick.

i was smacked as a kid i honestly can only remember copping it twice but after copping a good smack the threat off one is enough to put you off doing anything. when i have children i will smack them, i cant stand all this new age ask your child to choose their words and try and reason with an infant. you show them whats right and wrong if they slip up show them there is consiquences.

I do not think smacking is the evil that some make it out to be, I was smacked and I smack my son but only after sveral warnings and only as a last resort.
The comment that people are making that smacking is why kids have no respect I do not think is right. They have no respect because they do not need any, life is too easy, they do not need to do well at school they do not need references and they do not need to achieve anything because they are supported to not have respect. The lack of respect is because they have no respect for themselves, they never achieve any sucess in either acedemic or career. Make life harder for people who are capable of working who choose not to, increase penalties for breaking the law.
They should be given just enough to live and nothing more.
just my opinion sorry was a bit off track

Smack

On a side note I could probably sue the a$$ off my old primary school.

I was in grade 6 and we were playing soccer and I kicked a ball that went through a window.
I got called up to the office and admitted that it was me. The Vice Principal then gave me 6 of the best with a piece of leather2" wide x 12" long and around 50mm thick. Landed down pretty hard too. Mind you this was all done without consent from my parents.

The same year I copped the strap again. A mate and myself were mucking around with rulers in class and mine happened to hit the window and cracked it. Once again I was given 6 of the best but the last one just knicked the little finger and I giggled (as it actually hurt more even though it just touched the finger. I then copped 6 on the other hand.

I beleive that both of these strapping sessions did not prove anything and I also believe I did'nt deserve them, especially without the consent of my parents.

Smacking should only be done by the parents or guardian. Times are changing I guess but discipline never hurt anyone.

definately as a last resort if the child isnt behaving. i believe you should give the kid a chance to behave or at least a warning before hitting him/her whenever they do something wrong. having said that some people have anger issues etc and hit too hard or hit when another form of punishment would have been more productive. also dont hit other peoples kids haha

I will NEVER smack my daughter- what example is that teaching them ? If you can't solve a problem, just resort to violence...> Or, if you have a physical advantage, use it to your advantage ...?

If you need to smack your kids it is most probably because you are frustrated or lack the social/parental/negotiating skills necessary to adequately discipline and teach your children.

I will NEVER smack my daughter- what example is that teaching them ? If you can't solve a problem, just resort to violence...> Or, if you have a physical advantage, use it to your advantage ...?

If you need to smack your kids it is most probably because you are frustrated or lack the social/parental/negotiating skills necessary to adequately discipline and teach your children.

Tut tut, no need to get pointy touchy about it ..... I guess you don't have to deal with bickering kids do you? 8) ;) You'd never have kept me under control with that attitude :lol:

yay, some other people realised this thread was asking for help in a school debate, not to carry out an online debate.
(btw, i have seen my cousins wife 'smack' her daughter across the face (5 years old) for misbehaving. it made me sick to my stomach.)
beardie_m, MrHappy and jessb have given you some really good points for the affirmative (better than mine! though i hope mine helped...)
Good luck!!
thanks so much! every single reply that i have read (i haven't read all of them yet sorry:oops: i didnt expect this to be so long) i really like what jessb gave me and dame with MrHappy. about your cousin's wife, my dads cousin's wife gave me a slap across the face when i was very young because i was crying. i was APPAULED and it caused a huge fight. i just couldn't believe it. i have started writing my arguments and the debate is on monday. i have learnt from my mistakes at last debates and i think this ones gonna be pretty good :D

Smacking is something i enjoy still to this day! :shock:;):D ( jokes, i jest )

I don't see anything wrong with it, as long as you are not beating the crap of them a smack on the bum/hand never hurt anybody.

defo smack em ... i was smacked and belted ... have to be done to keep em in line

I take my 5 darlin girls shopping and see the carnage of kids that were obviously not smacked, i feel embarased for the parents but then stop and think, its there own falut. My kids were never smaked hard, just at approprite time to understand that if Dad say's no, thats probably what he means and not really worth pushing the issue.
Every where I go wheather its shopping or a restarunt or out to a bbq or party type shindig people always comment on how well behaved they are. There are other ways to get the same desired effect such as grounding , banning from tv or fav toy but I think most people who choose that path give in and the kids win. And you see that so often in public when a parent says "No Johny" and the child starts to argue the point!!!!!
Anyway Im off my soap box now! So its a yes to a smack in the rite circumstance and place! but there are other ways if you stick to your guns!
Jezza

Last edited:
well for my part i am doing how it could affect the children and alternatives to smacking , eg. rewarding good behavior rather than disciplining bad behavior so they will want to do more good things.

u don't want to know wht my dad does to me....
i disagree for kids to be smacked, simply becasue im going through that process and i know how it feels to be slapped by someone whos supose to love u. I think thats just my opinion because i get smacked for doing the wrong stuff but never praised for doing the right, and i might not get as much love or attention from my parents simply because there working all the time and don't have that time to spend with me. In the future if i ever had kids, i would never smack them becasue i beleive it destroys the relationship between kids and parents and is damaging to there growing mind EG: one kid thats being smacked at home might think its ok to smack another kid at school when they've done something wrong thinking that they did the right thing, which also might lead to domestic violence in the future....just my opinion.

does your dad smack you at 13? that's tight i would be absolutely horrified if my dad smacked me now!

u don't want to know wht my dad does to me....
i disagree for kids to be smacked, simply becasue im going through that process and i know how it feels to be slapped by someone whos supose to love u. I think thats just my opinion because i get smacked for doing the wrong stuff but never praised for doing the right, and i might not get as much love or attention from my parents simply because there working all the time and don't have that time to spend with me. In the future if i ever had kids, i would never smack them becasue i beleive it destroys the relationship between kids and parents and is damaging to there growing mind EG: one kid thats being smacked at home might think its ok to smack another kid at school when they've done something wrong thinking that they did the right thing, which also might lead to domestic violence in the future....just my opinion.

OMG that's really sad! That kind of goes back to what I said about parents treating kids with respect and dignity. He is clearly taking out his own frustrations on you rather than genuinely caring about disciplining you. In order to hit a 13 yo boy hard enough to have any effect, he must be whacking you pretty hard...

You sound pretty mature, so maybe its about time you sat down with your dad and explained to him that you are old enough to take responsibility for a few things in your life, and you would appreciate it if he would stop disciplining you physically if you are willing to show that you are an adult. Perhaps suggest other punishments like losing TV privileges or grounding would be more appropriate for someone your age. In return, you could tell him that you woud prefer it if he explained what you have done wrong if you misbehave and perhaps half an hour later give an appropriate punishment, instead of him just flying off the handle at you.

Too many parents smack their children when they're frustrated or angry, and hurt their children. Even if you ignore that, as Weezer has said, resorting to violence isn't the solution. Heaps of the 'bratty' kids these days hit other kids, I wonder where they learned that from? If kids are getting more bratty, it's probably due to technology combined with the absence of parents who are at work most of the time these days (which, yes, is quite necessary in today's society).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back