Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Gordo ,understand where ya getting at ..but really I think this one was simply a guessing one for its unusual colouration of its head ..cause if it was a WHAT IS THIS ID ...everyone that saw the whole pic would have got it right first time...and even if the only pic was a head shot ..explaining that it has a red belly and sides would have been easy to guess too ...

ALL SNAKES SHOULD BE RESPECTED REGARDLESS OF IT BEING VENOMOUS, MILD VENOMOUS OR SIMPLY BIG BLOODY TEETH ....
and giving the snakes a wide berth in the wild is whats best for both you and the snake ..take as many pics as you want ..enjoy them for their unique beauty and if you are in a situation that you have one in your safety zone ...remain calm and get a catcher if you can or stay put till it moves on ..dont take unnecessary risks ever ..even if you own a few at home .....

What a load of bollocks that is. Read your post, no wait i'll summarize it for you 'I'll give out rubbish information and then wash my hands of all responsibility.'

I think this particular thread is very irresponsible for encouraging a guessing game at elapids.

But that is this thread, ID threads in general i think are a good idea and i really enjoy them. As they say there is no such thing as a stupid question. However there is a such thing as a stupid answer and do you really think people post ID threads (apart from this one) for people to 'guess' what a snake is they have seen?

Wether you believe it or not and like it or not people do accept the answers they get from forums as fact. What i am promoting is cutting out the potentially deadly misinformation that gets thrown about. I don't understand what your problem is with that. I don't know what your experience with reptiles and the general public is. I have reasonable experience and you would not believe how many times a lethal snake is mistook for a harmless one, it would happen on a fornightly basis. I am committed to do whatever i can to reduce the risk of anyone being bitten by a dangerous snake and cutting out the guessing games is part of that.

Spin it what ever way you want, whatever helps you sleep at night. I know i'm doing what is best to keep people safe, can you say that?

First you say my opinion is rubbish then it's bollocks then talking to other members is like talking to a brick wall. will it be my fault if you destroy your computer in frustration. I don't believe I've posted an ID as if it were fact and therefore don't need to wash my hands of responsibility but while your handing out the soap so others can wash their hands I'll use it just in case.

Sturdy,
This is how I picked it as P. porphyriacus;
The dark pupil eliminates Oxyuranus and Pseudonaja (except ingrami)
Scalation (frontal scale) eliminates Notechis.
Head shape and scalation suggests Pseudechis.
Eye size and pupil colour consistant with P. porphyriacus.

Sturdy and Eipper, I stuffed up because I thought it was something more unusual,even though this is ,but was thinking knowing these two guys ,think outside the square a bit , and actually' ingrami" was the closest in Pseudonaja...but I also found a juvie pic of the greater whip and thought mmm maybe .....

but ya buggers if ya had given me that hint I asked for ,I would have had it ;)

First you say my opinion is rubbish then it's bollocks then talking to other members is like talking to a brick wall. will it be my fault if you destroy your computer in frustration. I don't believe I've posted an ID as if it were fact and therefore don't need to wash my hands of responsibility but while your handing out the soap so others can wash their hands I'll use it just in case.

No I say your opinion is dangerous.

When it comes to outcomes intentions don't always make a difference. Just because you never meant your guess to be taken as fact doesn't mean it wont be. I seem to be repeating myself... If you don't know what a snake is then don't say anything. Will we make mistakes every now and then? Of course we are, we're only human but we need to do our best to reduce that risks. A 'not my problem' attitude is not good enough when it comes to something as dangerous as Aussie elapids.

Will it be my fault when some kid gets bitten because you bollocked up an ID?

RBB as long as you can see what i'm saying and why i'm saying it then we're cool.

G'day guys,

I'm not going to be as fanatical as Gordo, but he is right about incorrect ID's. Quite often, a member of the public will find this forum and post a photo of an unknown snake assuming that the people on a website dedicated to snakes will know what it is. All it takes is for someone to identify an Eastern Brown Snake as a harmless Green Tree Snake and all of a sudden you may have somebody on life support. It's really quite simple - if you don't 100% know what it is, don't identify it. Sit back and watch the thread and learn from those who have the experience...by all means, ask questions, but don't state something that may be interpreted as fact as it could be dangerous.

Well we have to weed out the stupid people from society in some way, if someones going to pick up a unknown snake because three unknown (to them) people from an also unknown website (if they where active members for longer than 3 months they would kow about ID threads) say it's a harmless keelback good luck to them....

Well we have to weed out the stupid people from society in some way, if someones going to pick up a unknown snake because three unknown (to them) people from an also unknown website (if they where active members for longer than 3 months they would kow about ID threads) say it's a harmless keelback good luck to them....

Exactly. As I said before, the publishing of an Australian snake guide could lead to the mis identification of a snake do we then hold the author responsible NO. Don't make the users of this forum scapegoats for other peoples stupidity Waruikazi, I don't think I once said that it was unlikely a person would ever use the wrong ID's posted on these threads and I agree that people should either not respond or make it clear that their answer is a guess, what I am saying is the responsibility ultimately falls with the person who used the false information. If a backpacker is unfamiliar with our drink driving laws and asks three seperate strangers at the bar if after her 5th drink she would be fine to drive then proceeds to kill someone in an accident does she then share the responsibility with the 3 strangers? And by the way at around post 87 I think Waruikazi you referred to my post as the rubbish below and then later as bollocks not that it really bothers me, I just think that if your so passionate about your argument you should still respect other peoples opinions and perhaps a more mature approach to what others have to say might actually give your own opinions more merrit.
Anyway I have rather enjoyed our dialogue and guess we will just have to agree to disagree on some points, though I will ensure I always make it clear that my response is an uneducated guess, just to be on the safe side. If you still have concerns for other peoples safety maybe you should petition to ban ID threads, as this I believe is the only way you will eliminate wrong ID's though personally i feel that would be detrimental to mine and others enjoyment of this great forum.

cheers
Steve

Exactly. As I said before, the publishing of an Australian snake guide could lead to the mis identification of a snake do we then hold the author responsible NO. Don't make the users of this forum scapegoats for other peoples stupidity Waruikazi, I don't think I once said that it was unlikely a person would ever use the wrong ID's posted on these threads and I agree that people should either not respond or make it clear that their answer is a guess, what I am saying is the responsibility ultimately falls with the person who used the false information. If a backpacker is unfamiliar with our drink driving laws and asks three seperate strangers at the bar if after her 5th drink she would be fine to drive then proceeds to kill someone in an accident does she then share the responsibility with the 3 strangers? And by the way at around post 87 I think Waruikazi you referred to my post as the rubbish below and then later as bollocks not that it really bothers me, I just think that if your so passionate about your argument you should still respect other peoples opinions and perhaps a more mature approach to what others have to say might actually give your own opinions more merrit.
Anyway I have rather enjoyed our dialogue and guess we will just have to agree to disagree on some points, though I will ensure I always make it clear that my response is an uneducated guess, just to be on the safe side. If you still have concerns for other peoples safety maybe you should petition to ban ID threads, as this I believe is the only way you will eliminate wrong ID's though personally i feel that would be detrimental to mine and others enjoyment of this great forum.

cheers
Steve

All field guides have legal disclaimers that state how they should and shouldn't be used. But yes if a field guide gave out negligent, misleading or flat out wrong information and someone was injured with that information as an influencing factor, if it happened to me i would be looking at suing the authors.

OK fine i think your opinion is dangerous bollocks rubbish. I respect your right to have an opinion but i do not respect your opinion on this matter. And don't pull the maturity argument, how mature is it to have a 'Not my problem lalalalala' attitude.

Don't bring up analogies because there is an analogy to suit any argument and i don't think they add to this argument.

Believe it or not champ i was considering bringing this up with the mods to see if we could do something about the guessing game we get in ID threads. I straight up believe it is that big of a deal. If you cannot state with absolute confidence at minimum the genus then you should not be posting identifications.

Mate while we have been bantering in this thread i caught a brown that was meant to be a whip, i have caught other browns that were meant to be tree snakes, olives and keelbacks. I have even caught a death adder that was meant to be a file snake! As harmless as misidentifying a snake on a forum seems it can be potentially dangerous.

I agree with you that i think the buck stops with the individual invloved but that does not mean that the things you say will not have an influence on the outcome of a particular situation. I'm not a lawyer but i think that if you gave out information that led to someone being injured, you could find yourself in legal hot water. If you feel so strongly that you need to take a guess then guess to yourself, write it down so you can prove to yourself you were right but don't go posting on public forums or saying things to people if you are not 100% on an ID.

who gives a crap if some one made an id wrong......tell some one who cares....know it alls

I do think it’s very important to ID venomous snakes correctly, but there is 2-3 people on this forum that think they are gods (a large mythical man in the sky) gift to us and we should all bow down to them. Pull your heads in..... you know who you are.
A lot of people on this forum are fairly new to reptiles and don't need arrogant snobs making snide little comments.

I do think it’s very important to ID venomous snakes correctly, but there is 2-3 people on this forum that think they are gods (a large mythical man in the sky) gift to us and we should all bow down to them. Pull your heads in..... you know who you are.
A lot of people on this forum are fairly new to reptiles and don't need arrogant snobs making snide little comments.

Hear hear! :)

Sorry but i like my way to ID if it's in the wild.... Its a SNAKE look, take pics, dont touch....simple, then take the pics to an experienced keeper in the area and ask their opinion, wouldnt trust an ID off a thread due to how many wrong answers are given, but these threads are a good way for people to have a go at ID'ing a snake in 100% safe environment and if wrong ask questions to learn instead of getting burned for having a go, as i am relatively new to snakes i have alot of questions bout scale counts and stuff like that for id purposes but the way that some people react i'm going to find out myself, I'll admit i got it wrong and i only had pics to look at and they weren't the best pics (other sites not yours).... as for the toss who knows nothing but still wants to go out and handle a snake with an id of a thread....good luck to you

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back