Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Sturdy, is there a locale to that one ? The ones I catch down here on the Central Coast have a brown nose but one I caught out at the watagans had more brown over the face but not to that extent.

Unreal ..absolutely cute as ...and common! ha ha ...me bad I thought it wouldnt be that obvious would it!!!! and thought a bit out of the square ...wow have never seen a hatchie with such a light head .....well ya got me ;) ...ya know had you given that clue I asked for "or strongly haemolytic and cytotoxic?.....? " bah ha haha

Although this may have been a fun guessing game, I agree with you. I get sick of looking at an ID thread to see 20 replies of people just throwing random species around hoping to guess right. Majority of the time they're not even in the right genus and I struggle to see how they came to that conclusion, unfortunately this won't be changing any time soon these people being the majority, which sometimes pushes the more knowledgeable minority away from the forum which is what I've been seeing lately.[/QUOTE

Don't look at ID threads then, obviously people post them for others to take a guess, whether there guess is better informed than others doesn't matter, if they thought everyone was going to get it right they wouldn't bother posting. Seems that you are a member of the elite few with such considerable knowledge your post could give an example of why people have guessed wrong so it would give people something to start with. Before I posted my wrong guess I made an attempt to identify it through my books, had I just posted- Brown snake you would then have assumed I was just throwing it out there.

when looking at this lil rbb in a tub.. it appears to have pale sides instead of the red..

the pics make the red on the sides look alot more red then they are.

its more of a pale red..

This want an ID thread cos the guy didn't know what it was, this thread was posted because it was an unusual specimen and the thread op was hoping to catch people out, that why he save "have a guess".
I don't know why you guys are having a whinge cause we got it wrong :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Don't look at ID threads then, obviously people post them for others to take a guess, whether there guess is better informed than others doesn't matter, if they thought everyone was going to get it right they wouldn't bother posting. Seems that you are a member of the elite few with such considerable knowledge your post could give an example of why people have guessed wrong so it would give people something to start with. Before I posted my wrong guess I made an attempt to identify it through my books, had I just posted- Brown snake you would then have assumed I was just throwing it out there.

If you're gonna have a flat out guess at elapid ID's then you shouldn't look at them. If you can't understand how dangerous it can be to mis identify an elapid then you really need to stay out of these threads.

this thread has gone to the dogs, please lock it mods.

people had a guess and now it has been identifed, it was obviously posted as a curly one.

dosent need to turn into a sling fest.

donks

It's a nice looking snake but not for a red-bellied, the light head is gross I much prefer them with jet black noses, each to their own I guess.

If you're gonna have a flat out guess at elapid ID's then you shouldn't look at them. If you can't understand how dangerous it can be to mis identify an elapid then you really need to stay out of these threads.

Guessing at pictures is a form of learning, chances are I am not going to get bitten by a picture on my computer screen. If i come across any snake in the wild and am not 110% sure then I will keep my distance, anyone that's unsure and still decides to handle in my opinion is a fool. IF IN DOUBT TREAT ALL SNAKES AS POTENTIALLY DEADLY. If people like you are so worried that others could put themselves at risk by these guessing games then the responsible approach would be to not post them.

i've herd of these "white head" red bellies.
so i picked it pretty quick.
i quite like the look, it's something a little unusual, but not the kind of RBB i'd want to own

waruikazi, the thread was about having an estimate. I find these really helpful for getting an objective id.

And there is nothing wrong with having a guess in a thread like this.

perhaps if the thread was titled "snake in my loungeroom - please id" then people who really dont know shouldnt guess, but in this particular thread it has been interesting and harmless.

cheers

waruikazi, the thread was about having an estimate. I find these really helpful for getting an objective id.

And there is nothing wrong with having a guess in a thread like this.

perhaps if the thread was titled "snake in my loungeroom - please id" then people who really dont know shouldnt guess, but in this particular thread it has been interesting and harmless.

cheers
I totally agree, if they wanted to make a point of the dangers of misidentifying then this thread was a pointless way of doing it :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
Next time if the "experts" that never get an id wrong don't people guessing at an identification they shouldn't ask the people veiwing to have a guess.

Thanks Gex

Aussie pythons is all about having fun, people should not take these threads to seriously. This was just a fun guessing game

Aussie pythons is all about having fun, people should not take these threads to seriously. This was just a fun guessing game

I agree, this thread wasn't a wild situation where the person caught it and didn't know what it was....all in good fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back