Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
: 3m is listed as 'the average' for Diamonds, its not often you will see snakes stretched out like that so it can be a shock when they do,

Is that a fact too, don't snakes stretch out very often?

if the size is causing you concern then maybe look at a Murray Darling, they 'average' at 2.4m and i hear they are pretty calm and bombproof, and a good midsize snake for beginners,

There is always a problem when people write what "they hear" instead of keeping quite and letting people that know, do the talking.

if you are refering to the (m) alongside the "fully grown size" you will find that refers to Meters, so that you know what the numbers below are :rolleyes: ! there is nowhere there that says "maximum" so i have no idea where you got that from !
I stated 'average' because i know that lengths can vary greatly !
I stated 'you dont often SEE them stretched out very often" most of the time we see them in enclosure that do not allow total body stretch !
I stated "I hear MD are pretty calm and bomb proof" because my 2 sisters both have MD's and say this quite often when asked about MD nature,

as for keeping quiet... at least i dont half read what people have to say and then form half baked opinions.

Martinsmum was shocked at the length of the Diamond pic that was posted. I shared info that is readily available.... just not easily found by some. :lol:

Don't panic - that's the biggest I've ever seen! A friend has a couple 20 year old diamond/coastal hybrids which are only 6 foot long. There's nothing wrong with getting an adult snake. Having a known temperament and decent size to handle can be real advantages.

i always suggest noobies go with yearling+'s as the added size and the fact that they are more established goes a long way yearlings generally are larger thus find it harder to escape and get into tight spaces i also find medium/larger sized snakes easyer to handle, they have had alot more feeds and therfore are bettter eaters then most hatchlings, allround more resiliant then hatchlings

plus throw in the fact your getting an adult enclosure with it go the older animal all the way he looks pretty good

Last edited:
if you are refering to the (m) alongside the "fully grown size" you will find that refers to Meters, so that you know what the numbers below are :rolleyes: ! there is nowhere there that says "maximum" so i have no idea where you got that from !
I stated 'average' because i know that lengths can vary greatly !
I stated 'you dont often SEE them stretched out very often" most of the time we see them in enclosure that do not allow total body stretch !
I stated "I hear MD are pretty calm and bomb proof" because my 2 sisters both have MD's and say this quite often when asked about MD nature,

as for keeping quiet... at least i dont half read what people have to say and then form half baked opinions.

Martinsmum was shocked at the length of the Diamond pic that was posted. I shared info that is readily available.... just not easily found by some. :lol:

Jaxrtfm, you stated that 3m (meters) is the average size for diamond pythons. You also said the info came from the wiki report.
The wiki report or table, whatever you would like to call it says fully grown size. I am telling you that I have extensive experience with diamond pythons. I own 32 of them and I am a local licenced catcher and I would see more wild diamonds then anyone. I remove dozens of them each year from roofs, cars, backyards, trees and places you would never imagine. I breed them as well and I personally know herpers who have studied them and written papers on them. I know because they ask me for facts because I am on the front line with these animals. When I come across something odd or unusual they want to know and they use me as a field person because I am the one who finds the snakes.Now in all my years of catching and releasing, caring for sick and injured I am telling you that I have NEVER seen an honest 3m (meter) long diamond. Now, since you seem to know all about diamonds and insist on arguing with me have you EVER SEEN a 3 meter diamond? The average size of diamond pythons in my opinion is around the 1.8 to 2.0 m (meter) mark.
What you are doing in this thread is trying to be the big know it all about diamonds and giving out WRONG information to a person who is trying to work out whether or not to buy one that is grown or one that is juvenile.
Now if you would like to put up your extensive knowledge and experience with diamonds so we all can see just how much you truly know.Theres more to snakes then being able to punch a few keys on a keyboard sweetheart.

Personally, i like getting my animals as hatchies. Just to see them grow and develop from the very start.
Thats just my opinion though.
I was lucky and got my 1st one off a really good breeder that was willing to help me out every step of the way, with any issues i had.
Some hatchies are really fussy. The advice i was given was even if it looks like its in good health, make sure you see it eat by itself before taking it home! because if its willing to take a feed when its offered it shouldn't have issues feeding (which is the main trouble hatchies seem to have).
And if you're lucky the breeder you get it off will be friendly enough to help you out if you have any trouble down the track!
Good luck making the tough decision!
i'm sure you wont be disappointed either way!

im 6 foot 1 inch, i'll get some better pics for you.. i have my hands above my head & he coiled around my arm.. maybe 2.8-2.9 mtrs.. he's a slug..lol.. tried breeding him 3 yrs in a row 4 different 'partners'.. no go..he's just not interrested..lol..

AM Pythons are you certain thats a male?

Yeah i got a hatchie diamond and it is placid little fella hasn't even tried to strike yet but then again every hatchie is different if i was you i would get hatchie so you can enjoy watching it grow and you can know its full history since you've had it :)

thats an outstanding diamond Am pythons i agree with metalhead watching a hatchie grow and colour up is just great

What are the dimensions on the enclosure they are selling with the older diamond?

Jaxrtfm, you stated that 3m (meters) is the average size for diamond pythons. You also said the info came from the wiki report.
The wiki report or table, whatever you would like to call it says fully grown size. I am telling you that I have extensive experience with diamond pythons. I own 32 of them and I am a local licenced catcher and I would see more wild diamonds then anyone. I remove dozens of them each year from roofs, cars, backyards, trees and places you would never imagine. I breed them as well and I personally know herpers who have studied them and written papers on them. I know because they ask me for facts because I am on the front line with these animals. When I come across something odd or unusual they want to know and they use me as a field person because I am the one who finds the snakes.Now in all my years of catching and releasing, caring for sick and injured I am telling you that I have NEVER seen an honest 3m (meter) long diamond. Now, since you seem to know all about diamonds and insist on arguing with me have you EVER SEEN a 3 meter diamond? The average size of diamond pythons in my opinion is around the 1.8 to 2.0 m (meter) mark.
What you are doing in this thread is trying to be the big know it all about diamonds and giving out WRONG information to a person who is trying to work out whether or not to buy one that is grown or one that is juvenile.
Now if you would like to put up your extensive knowledge and experience with diamonds so we all can see just how much you truly know.Theres more to snakes then being able to punch a few keys on a keyboard sweetheart.

Cement, my ask is, why are you attacking Jaxrtfm over something she has seen in documented evidence? My second question is, to ask, why are you carrying on this argument in a thread that started out to be something totally different, and so off topic????? If you really have to attack someone for what they have read, why carry it on here?
A completely different thread on the views of the length of a Diamond may be appropriate, don't you think, considering this is a thread dedicarted as to a confused Mum, not knowing what to buy.......... why should the actual length matter???????

I'd have to agree with cement on both counts.

No diamond averages at 3 metres, unless the bloodline is tainted with coastal carpet. Pure diamonds average 1.8 - 2.2 metres long. The biggest wild females I have seen have all been around 2 metres long, and males have been 1.7-1.8 metres long.

AM Pythons, are you sure that's a male. Males very rarely get over the 2 metre mark, and stay rather slender. That snake you are holding has the length and bulk of a female. It's easy to probe too deep with females, making them appear to be males.

I'd have to agree with cement on both counts.

No diamond averages at 3 metres, unless the bloodline is tainted with coastal carpet. Pure diamonds average 1.8 - 2.2 metres long. The biggest wild females I have seen have all been around 2 metres long, and males have been 1.7-1.8 metres long.

AM Pythons, are you sure that's a male. Males very rarely get over the 2 metre mark, and stay rather slender. That snake you are holding has the length and bulk of a female. It's easy to probe too deep with females, making them appear to be males.

as stated, you may want to carry this on in a seperate thread.............................. this one is about whether a Mum is doing the right thing............... NOT whether or not a python is acertain length or not

I think you should go with the 16 month old one and do some modifications to that cage. Being fairly new to the hobby having one already established would help reduce your worries about feeding, handling etc and would generally be more user friendly within a family environment than a hatchling. It seems like a nice diamond too.

I too would agree with cement and serpenttongue regarding size.

for the disbelievers, i took some pics today, & seen one of the 'BEST' displays of male combat while doing it.all on top of a cloths line, these guys were hanging 4-5 foot out off the end of the cloths line..amazing it was.. the diamond pinned the intergrade..the intergrade made a quick retreat to the ground.. i was taking so many pics i ran out of batterys just before View attachment 156821the combat started, by the time my gf went & got more batteries id missed all the combat shots..spewing but got others for you's.. right, his enclosure isView attachment 156820 2.6mtrs long, he cant stretch out completely & has to curl his tail to lay end to end.. the trampoline measures 2.97mtrs end to end...it was very hard View attachment 156819to get a pic from above because he wouldnt fit in the frame..lol.. (& i wasnt getting on the shed roof..lol.).. so here you go, the thong is a size 11...View attachment 156818

100% male if you seen what i seen today, no doubt mate... the intergrade, one of my girls breed with the last 2 years.. been trying to get the diamond to mate but he is not even interrested at all...lol. he is a massive snake, im not making this up.. has to be seen if person... if anyone wants to come check it out, im sure my mate want mind..(he's my nextdoor neighbour)...

as stated, you may want to carry this on in a seperate thread.............................. this one is about whether a Mum is doing the right thing............... NOT whether or not a python is acertain length or not

Agreed - cement, Jax, and serpenttongue, this is so off topic, and completely useless information in this context. I'm not saying your discussion isn't valid, but it's not relevant here, and is probably making MartinsMum more confused. Have some consideration and start your own thread.

Well this thread has certainly made for some strange reading! Here I was thinking I was going to get some opinions from different snake enthusiasts about my best course of action in purchasing a first snake for my child & instead I started an all out war! Lol. Very sorry - I didn't think I actually asked anything controversial, but there you go.

To all of those people who didn't get involved in the to & fro debate about the size of that guy's snake (no offence), I want to say a huge thank you. Your honest opinions and experiences have certainly helped me with my decision. I have decided that I will get my son a hatchling. Obviously there were pros & cons for both getting a hatchling & an older snake but I think that the experience of having one from a baby will be very rewarding for my son (and for my other little children to watch as well).

To the size of the diamond in question (and the ongoing debate about her), I think everyone agrees that it is a very large snake. Whether it is 2.5 metres or 3 metres - honestly does it matter? I think the point you were making was that a diamond has the potential to be very big & I think that is obvious from the photo. I'm sorry that my thread turned into a debate about something that it was not meant to be and for any problems that the thread may have caused for any other APS members.

On a happier note, we are looking at getting our son's new little babe next week, from an experienced and helpful breeder so expect to see us on here with lots of baby snake pics!

sorry for hi-jacking the thread...your right... martins mum..im in Newcastle if you would like someone to give you a hand & second opinion to make sure this snake is for you, im more than willing to help, pm, im home every day & willing to help you out.. if you would like to come over your more than welcome, i have 20+ pythons, jungles, coastals,stimsons,darwins(albino & normal) of all different ages..you can come see enclosures, keeping & husbandry to see what your up for..i breed rodents aswell... Tony

Cement, my ask is, why are you attacking Jaxrtfm over something she has seen in documented evidence? My second question is, to ask, why are you carrying on this argument in a thread that started out to be something totally different, and so off topic????? If you really have to attack someone for what they have read, why carry it on here?
A completely different thread on the views of the length of a Diamond may be appropriate, don't you think, considering this is a thread dedicarted as to a confused Mum, not knowing what to buy.......... why should the actual length matter???????

Hi Dipcdame. You ask so I will answer. I have a true interest in this hobby and it is detrimental to the hobby for people who have no idea, stating facts that are wrong. Especially to newcomers who have a right to know the truth. It is too easy for someone who keeps a couple of snakes to read or hear something and then spray it around like it is true fact. The reason this hobby is shrouded in "darkness" and can't get off the ground the way it should is somewhat because of the mis informed feeding mis information around about snakes. On the other side, part of my job as a re locator and conservationist is to educate members of the public about the truth about reptiles. Not stand by and lose an argument to someone who feels they have to correct me, when clearly they don't have a clue. If Jax...... has made an error in the way she read the 3m bit, she should say so, not continue trying to make a fool of me, then this won't blow up, and not only Martinsmum, but other newcomers who have read this thread (which does have valid views from both sides regarding buying older snakes or hatchies) won't be disillusioned by thinking that if the average size of a diamond python is 3 meters then how big do they get?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back