Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Alldone

Reaction score
Would you buy a 16 month old Diamond with a proper large enclosure who has a great temperament for $400 (from a private seller) or a Diamond Hatchling with a click clack but all other heating/lighting etc stuff for around the same price (from an experienced breeder/seller)????

Want to make sure I'm making the right decision - think I am but thought I'd put it out there...

as its a first time snake ..and hatchy's can be fussy ,,,if the bigger one is feeding well and handling well then that would make more sense ..its not always about costs with reps.

If you buy the older one and the enclosure will do it for life, then you're going to save on set up costs down the track. Plus if the older one has a good temperament then you know what you're getting into. I've bought both older snakes from private sellers and hatchlings from breeders with no problems. I think you just have to trust your instincts and if your instincts tell you that they're a decent person and have looked after the animal then you should be good.

Depends what you like/want out of having the reptile. Personally I want to see it Grow and watch its patterns come through even tho ill have to do the hard yards with Feeding and Enclousures. Baby snakes for me.

Go with what suits you :D

as its a first time snake ..and hatchy's can be fussy ,,,if the bigger one is feeding well and handling well then that would make more sense ..its not always about costs with reps.

totally agree, hatchies can be fussy suckers, easily stressed etc etc, the older one is more settled, first time out i would (and did) go yearling or older, once you are comfortable with all aspects snakey, then go for hatchies,

with a diamond in particular id get it as young as possible incase the previous owner had heated it like other carpets. (diamonds are susceptible to DPS if overheated)

im so paranoid of overheating my diamonds,....

Here is a pic of the actual snake plus the enclosure it comes with.

009.jpg

016.jpg

105.jpg

Does it look like a good one? It's supposed to be 16 months old.

enclosure looks ok-i personally like to give the snake a platform, stick or basket up high to sit in or on, as well as floor furniture. is there a thermostat for it? most important.
the snake has very good yellow colour in it for a diamond. size depends on feeding regimes with reptiles, so hard to judge that.
id go with an animal thats handleable first myself.

Maybe ask Martin whether he wants a little worm that he can watch grow, but that you don't know the personality or feeding tendencies of, or, a bigger snake that you do?

Seeing how most diamonds go for $300, your getting a good deal for a nice looking diamond and a fully setup enclosure.
I breed diamonds and some hatchlings can be a pain to get into a regular feeding routine and that 16 month old is a chubby bugger so obviously seems a great feeder.

That's what I was concerned about with getting a hatchling - our inexperience.

With the 16 month old snake, the people aren't sure of it's sex (they didn't find out as they weren't going to breed) but have had it since it was a baby. My son & I both held it & it was placid as anything - curled around our arms/fingers & didn't even LOOK like biting. Plus it was out of it's enclosure - travelled in a pillow case so we could see it - in strange surroundings & the lady said was close to shedding, so you'd think if it was going to be stressed that would have been the time it would bite someone. The yellow on it is very bright & I'd say it's about 3 foot long approx.

The tank doesn't have a thermostat so I'd have to buy one of those - that's the only thing she doesn't have. Oh - and she said that she hasn't had a UV on it yet - not sure what that means?? The tank is 3 foot by 2 foot so a pretty decent size yeah?

some ppl think you have to run uva/b for a diamond, this is not correct, pythons dont need it, if your son takes the python out on the grass once every now & then it will get all it needs... diamonds like colder temps than most 'morelia', say a darwin or MD..

View attachment 156738this diamond is 8yrs old never had a uv light in its life... looks fine to me.. & yes thats how big your diamond COULD get...lol 3mtrs & 10-12 kg... good luck...

I've just bought a pair of 16 month old diamonds.. very happy with my choice!

Holy crap - that's huge! lol

:lol: 3m is listed as 'the average' for Diamonds, its not often you will see snakes stretched out like that so it can be a shock when they do,
if the size is causing you concern then maybe look at a Murray Darling, they 'average' at 2.4m and i hear they are pretty calm and bombproof, and a good midsize snake for beginners,

Yeah uv isnt really needed with pythons, if your really worried just take it out on the lawn for some fun in the sun whenever the mood takes you.
Nice diamond "am pythons" heres one of my girls lol
View attachment 156739

Last edited:
:lol: 3m is listed as 'the average' for Diamonds, its not often you will see snakes stretched out like that so it can be a shock when they do,

Hi Mate, have you ever seen a 3 metre diamond? I would like to know where you get this info from.
I have been catching diamonds as a licenced catcher for years and have NEVER seen a diamond that is an honest 3 metres . So if thats the "listed average", (and I see as many or more diamonds then anyone in a season) I would really like to know where you got that info.

can anyone view Bez84s attachment?
it says invalid link, is it just me that cant see it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back