What breed is this snake??? Any help would be great..

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That is the funniest looking "Diamond" I have ever seen and that goes back to the 70's and growing up in Gosford.

I am suprised it is even an issue.

I agree, but there's a big difference between an educated guess (ie, keeping a number of the species and seeing the variation or finding them in the wild) and seeing pictures and making a judgement based on that. When you start getting diamondxjungle and all that, you know that person really doesn't know.

It looks like the coastals hatchlings I've had, but I'm not experienced with diamond babies enough to make a call one way or another. How is "I think it's x but I don't really know" helpful? I may as well have made a post saying "Dunno" for all the use the OP will get from it. I don't really understand why this is a hard concept to grasp.

My advise would be if you want a pure diamond and you obviously have doubts about this hatchy, don't buy it. Wait for one that fits your idea (or the common idea) of what a pure diamond looks like. If you don't care but like the look of this one. Buy it.

I missed out.. you didnt all argue on my ID thread

dont you like me guys? :(

Ahhh... still going lol!

Just a note about Diamond Python babies - they are universally very dark at hatch, often without discernable pattern because the rosettes are very small, and the spot on each scale, characteristic of Diamonds, develop as the snake grows. They DO NOT have a strong Carpet-like pattern such as this snake shows. It really doesn't matter what heritage the snake in the photo has - Jungle, Coastal, Northern or whatever - but it can be said unequivocally that that animal is not a Diamond Python.

Jamie

Just for reference, here is a photo of my Diamond Python Intergrade (NOT Coastal x Diamond)

Your hatchy looks verrrrry similar to mine.

How do you know it's 'at hatch'? All the op said was that it's 'young'.

Can i throw a small spanner in the works...bobbyvan i think as we discovered on another thread your snake is a "gosford diamond intergrade" and no one except the seller has clue what that is?

Norm... you & your bloody spanners...

Actually anything to stop these damned Diamond threads would suit me fine i I hang onto them like a pitbull... and my jaws are getting tired... I need time off to eat & sleep lol!

J

Last edited by a moderator:
LOL, I was going to start a new thread, but this seems as good a place as any, what do you make of this one, Jamie ?

IHPxY.jpg

Now I'd call that a Diamond RNS, with rosettes which are on the larger side, I haven't seen anything like that up here, but certainly have down towards & around Gosford (the centre of the Universe I think...:))

Now tell me it came from Brisbane :)

Or it could be a Keelback... :)

J

Hi Rob, I would call that a Diamond, but it would most likely be that it came from an intergrade. (either way beautiful snake). Pics of parents please.

BTW why is the keelback the common ID tool these days? (just not funny anymore)! It seems to me that the good old, what morelia is this? has taken hold.

Forget the keelback joke

That snake was bred on the Coast :), but I don't know it's origins. It's what I would call a Diamond, but there are so many different opinions these days. I had one guy tell me it wasn't a true Diamond because it didn't have enough yellow.

That appearance is how I remember the wild ones I used to catch in the Watagans area some 25 years ago.

Wild Diamond from between Eden and the Vic border. Not giving the precise location due to peoples light fingered habits.

7752186082_9a7fe8feca_z.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back