Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Variety

Reaction score
Hey guys, my spotted python and 15 mo caramel coastal have just settled in and are out exploring so i believe its the right time to start to attempt to tame them.
These are the first two snakes that i've purchased that wernt already tame so im a bit cautious as to how i go about it, Is there any great articles or tips you guys know of that can help me do this successfuly ? Thanks in advance

- - - Updated - - -

Also should i expect to get bitten ? If & when i do get bitten, does that mean i should put my python down and try again in a day or two or should i just not react to it and try to get a good 10 minute handle in ? thanks

Hey Variety, first off to get your pythons "tame" i suggest that you leave them settle in atleast a week before you even touch them. After they have settled in you can start handling them and getting them use to your scent and being handled. The good thing is, Spotted pythons are generally relaxed pythons and so are Coastals, most of the time. When handling the snake take it out of the enclosure ( with a snake hook to reduce stress on the snake) and handle them for about 10min at the maximum. If they tag you or strike at you do not pull away, and if it bites you do not put it back in its tank, just keep handling it. Also remember that snake bites do not hurt, they feel like a needle divide two, so not very painful at all. I wish you good luck, you have picked two very good starter choices and I doubt you will have any problems with them. :)

and if it bites you do not put it back in its tank, just keep handling it. .
i dont mean to nit pick but why do people think this is good advice , there biting you because their either scared or they want food , if its the later than feed it , simple but if there defensive tags then continually handling it can add to the stress potentially making the snake terrified of this creature that just doesn't give up no matter what they try to do to get away

i just dont get the advice , on the sheet i received from snake ranch it says to do the opposite and in the case of any biting you should return the animal to its enclosure as handling is causing unnecessary stress on the animal

i dont mean to nit pick but why do people think this is good advice , there biting you because their either scared or they want food , if its the later than feed it , simple but if there defensive tags then continually handling it can add to the stress potentially making the snake terrified of this creature that just doesn't give up no matter what they try to do to get away

i just dont get the advice , on the sheet i received from snake ranch it says to do the opposite and in the case of any biting you should return the animal to its enclosure as handling is causing unnecessary stress on the animal

I dont know how true this is, but I was always told that if it does bite you to keep handling the snake. Otherwise it knows everytime it bites you it can go back into its enclosure. I think this topic is just like feeding in or out of the snake enclosure, and no one has a 100% true or false answer

Thanks for the advice hazordous-herps, Just handled my spotted for 3 - 4 minutes and didnt get tagged at all. Got it out reasonably quick and avoided coming from front on. The coastal seems a bit more edgy so i might leave her be for now. I used gloves and was wondering if this is a good or bad idea, I was thinking they mite get acustom to the glove smell and sensation then freak when i dont use a glove ?

depending on the glove it makes handling more difficult at times as you cant really feel the snake and how hard your holding it , id just man up and loose the gloves :);)

Thanks for the advice hazordous-herps, Just handled my spotted for 3 - 4 minutes and didnt get tagged at all. Got it out reasonably quick and avoided coming from front on. The coastal seems a bit more edgy so i might leave her be for now. I used gloves and was wondering if this is a good or bad idea, I was thinking they mite get acustom to the glove smell and sensation then freak when i dont use a glove ?
Gloves are yet another thing people argue about, some people say that you can squeeze the snake to hard while your wearing gloves, and that the snake wont get the scent off your hands, and it will be a whole new thing to the snake when you dont use gloves. Others say its all fine, and if your a bit shy about getting taged, gloves are the way to go. I think if the Spotted is fine about being handled which it sounds like it is, then you dont need gloves. And if the coastal is bity, and you dont want to get bitten you can use the gloves, but it would probably be best if you didnt. The main time the snake is going to bite you is when you take it out of the enclosure, thats why I would recomend the snake hook, less stress for the snake less stress for you.

yeah i had noticed it was hard to undo the lock on the enclosure because they were that thick so i think next time ill just man up haha, maybe atleast with my blonde mac :p

hey mate i'm going through the same thing at the moment with my new bredli, they are 18 months old and about 4 foot long, and hardly been handled, were kept in a tub and only saw humans when they were fed or tubs cleaned, they are pretty flighty and it can be a bit un nerving if ya not used to snakes that size, i have had the female out as she is the calmest at the moment, she had a crack at me tonight while holding her but was expecting it as she coiled back in the strike position so i kept her at arms length and she struck towards my head but didnt reach, as i was expecting it t happen it didnt rattle me but i thought thats enough for that session and put her back, i only got them on the weekend so i'm gunna try give them a feed tonight and see if that helps........good luck, and like hazordous said they dont hurt when ya get tagged its more the shock you get seeing a snake chewing on ya hand, if they do get hold of ya dont try and pull them off, put up with it and they will let go when they work out they cant eat ya

Mate my first non "tame" snake was also a coastal but he's only about 8 months old currently, i've never been one to use hooks/gloves etc the best advice i can give (and i have tried alottt of different methods) is to just open up your tub or w.e you keep it in and just gently pick him up straight away, ive never been struck or tagged once it puts alot less stress on the snake if you just man up and pick him up!!

IMO putting a snake back if it bites you may cause the snake to form an association with biting and getting put back in its tank, causing it to see that as a way of getting out of handling. Also, by letting it bite you it sees that biting you does nothing and it has no need to bite anymore. This is just what I did with my stimmi when she was a hatchling. Let her bite, sometimes as many at 2-3 times in one handling session then when she seemed calm I'd put her back in her tank (but remembering not to hold her for two long.) After doing this 2 or 3 times she never has bitten or even striked since. I like to think of it as a puppy, she didn't know that was she was dong was 'bad,' just her instinct. But by showing her that I wasn't going to hurt her, she eventually (actually, pretty quickly) lost the urge to bite/strike.

Now, before people rip into me I just want to say that I know that many people believe that snakes don't form associations or 'learn.' I don't disagree with this, I know that snakes are very different from cats and dogs for example and primarily use instinct. But, if this technique works for myself (and i'm sure many others) then why not use it, regardless of why it works (because it does for 90% of young snakes.) Also remember, you can't really 'tame' a snake. From what I've learnt, all you can do is make them become neutral to you and not see you as a threat. They can also see you as a source of heat which can draw them towards you. Snakes don't show affection like cats and dogs do.

And one final thing, try to lose the gloves. If you get bitten, you get bitten. It doesn't hurt. You don't want to always have to wear gloves while handling your snakes do you? Good luck with everything :)

Snakes figure out that biting gets them put back into their enclosure so they start using it as a ploy to get put back?

I make mine coil up in the corner on a naughty chair if they bite.

Snakes figure out that biting gets them put back into their enclosure so they start using it as a ploy to get put back?

I make mine coil up in the corner on a naughty chair if they bite.

I have to agree. This is by far the most effective way to tame a small python. If one of mine bites, I exclaime "time out" followed by time in the naughty chair. After doing this 2 or 3 times they never bite again.

There is a big difference between associating biting with being put away (which I don't agree with) and biting and making the scary predator go away (which I do agree with). Most young snakes are scared. I don't see how forcing yourself on the snake when it's scared of you will help anything. Simply handling it every now and again and not harassing it works just fine imo.

I'm a qualified snake therapist. If you have snappy snakes it probably just needs a bit of therapy. At $500 per hour it is money well spent if you truly care about your snakes well being. I can do it over Skype too if you are interstate.

Haha i apreciate the willingness to offer your services snowman but unfortunatly my caramel coastal has forgotten her skype details and i dont have an account!
Thanks anyway :p And thanks everyone for the good advice :)

I dont know how true this is, but I was always told that if it does bite you to keep handling the snake. Otherwise it knows everytime it bites you it can go back into its enclosure. I think this topic is just like feeding in or out of the snake enclosure, and no one has a 100% true or false answer
i tried it with my coastal mate , he turned into a physco but he was pretty much a physco when i got him anyway , for the past 6 months or so ive been cleaning when his hiding up in his branch and only removing him about once a month for a full clean and with very little handling in the moves his slowly calming down , continually handling a terrified biting snake will only scare it more , stress can cause all sorts of issues

I agree with not putting them back if they have a little nip at you.... I too am sure they will learn (or associate) if they nip and tag they can go back to thier enclosure.
I think it is important to pick them up gently, but quickly.... no hesitation at all. From the snakes perspective.... if you are darting your hand in, then change your mind and back out, then move your hand in etc, the snake will prolly think another snake is striking at them and retalliate. If you are going to pick it up, pick it up.... even if it turns and tries to have a go. (not a good idea with elips :shock::lol:)

When getting them used to being handled, I think it is better to hold them for short periods often, rather than once for a long period. This way they get used to the idea that they come out of enclosure.... they go back in, they come out, they go back in.... it isnt that scarey.....

Once they are comfortable with that, you can keep them out longer and longer. This is just my own opinion from my experience. Oh, and lose the gloves ;)

Got my caramel coastal out today, Got into a bit of a stand off when she was out and had to move her away from a power point next to the cage that she had wrapped around like a vine. I still have alot to learn and whenever she faced me or kind of made her way up my arm i would freeze and hesitate. Handled her comfortable for about 5 minutes (with gloves on) and i think we got the feel of each other. Getting her back was a bit of a stand off situation, i know these are never good and i need to get things done quickly but hopefully my confidence will build as we go. Tried to get my blonde mac out but after about a 1 minute game of cat and mouse and a few strikes(guess yesterdays handle wasn't as special for her as it was for me!:( ) decided to leave her for today and try again tomorrow. Successfully held her yesterday so thats 1 a peice so far :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back