Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
i tried it with my coastal mate , he turned into a physco but he was pretty much a physco when i got him anyway , for the past 6 months or so ive been cleaning when his hiding up in his branch and only removing him about once a month for a full clean and with very little handling in the moves his slowly calming down , continually handling a terrified biting snake will only scare it more , stress can cause all sorts of issues

Some pythons are just psycho.... if you have a psycho one, it may never get used to be handled..... so if you really have the need to handle it (or at enclosure cleaning time) dress like the stig, wear body armour.... and just do it :lol: My Bredli is a cranky thing.... it huffs and puffs whenever I pick her up, I have to take her out of the enclosure on her branch, then unroll her off it.... then she goes into tag-o-matic until I put her back. No amount of handling seems to change anything;)

you'll get the hang of it mate , ill admit i was a little off put when i first got my coastal i knew he was a little angry when i got him but didnt realise just what he was like he wasn't a bub either but after a few weeks i realised that if i was going to do the snake thing i had to man up or it was never going to work with him

haha rat bag , yep ive got myself an angry snake , but i dont dress like the stig :) its more of a batman costume with added face armour just in case ;) oh and a cup

Last edited:
Im at the point now where all the theory crafting is done and its time to get hands on, unffortunatly i get so intimidated haha.

Im at the point now where all the theory crafting is done and its time to get hands on, unffortunatly i get so intimidated haha.
Anyone that says they have never been intimidated by a snake just has not met the right snake yet or is lying..

Good luck mate, I remember my first snake and that had a fetish with drawing blood no matter how you handled it. I stuck with it and donated more blood to that little "BeeeP" than to any blood bank but only for a total of two weeks. It seemed like after two weeks of handling for 15 or 20 minutes a day and sustaining 4 or 5 bites at a time, he just gave up and never bit or became aggresive again.

I will admit I was only 10 or so around then, so it may not be the best advice out there, but thats my experience, hopefully it helps in some way. In my experience too, I have had cat scratches that have hurt more than snake bites, but that could be becuase I havent been bitten by "the One" yet...

I really appreciate the encouragement im getting and all of the great replys! Gaining more and more confidence by the post haha, Thanks everyone for sharing your experiences. Ill be sure to keep everyone updated with my progress :)

except if you ever get into womas , sometimes you've got to let them get a little food nippy , although maybe snacks like pinkys could work ;);)

I feed both of them good size meals so i dont think thats the case :p
Just held the blonde mac with gloves on (last time i promise) for about 5 minutes, after stretching out towards her enclosure for a few minutes she went from hand to hand for little while before forgetting my right hand wasnt food and she took a strike. Missed because of my cat like reflexs then put her back in soon after.
Baby steps :p

i tried it with my coastal mate , he turned into a physco but he was pretty much a physco when i got him anyway , for the past 6 months or so ive been cleaning when his hiding up in his branch and only removing him about once a month for a full clean and with very little handling in the moves his slowly calming down , continually handling a terrified biting snake will only scare it more , stress can cause all sorts of issues
Mate, there are some simple reasons this could happen- 1, your snake was just a psyhco 2, the snake is getting more mature and 3, maybe you handle the snake wrong I'm not saying these are the only reasons, but these might be a cause of that to happen. I personally think you need to handle a snake for it to get use to you, but each to there own it works for me and not for you. Variety can do what he thinks is right

Mate, there are some simple reasons this could happen- 1, your snake was just a psyhco 2, the snake is getting more mature and 3, maybe you handle the snake wrong I'm not saying these are the only reasons, but these might be a cause of that to happen. I personally think you need to handle a snake for it to get use to you, but each to there own it works for me and not for you. Variety can do what he thinks is right

the top 1 is a good point , my guys nuts , its not my handling technique though , i know what im doing in that sense and your not getting me i tried handling him every day for 20 mins just like i was told buy the guy i got him off, it did not work for my guy , he hates humans and will only tolerate us if hes left alone most of the time and only taken out for the odd full clean (about once a month though ) handling him just makes him mad and i personally think it is because he was constantly handled when he didnt want to be

now hes been left alone for around six months he is slowly getting more tolerant of me , like he doesnt 's' up when im cleaning and his still in the cage and when i do get him out these only the odd warning strike before i get him out and into his holding tub for full cleans

Isn't 20 minutes to much? But it is probably like you said and is just a once off snake, and it will be unusual for a spotted to act this way.

Isn't 20 minutes to much? But it is probably like you said and is just a once off snake, and it will be unusual for a spotted to act this way.
people say the same about coastals fact is any snake can be a nutter doesn't matter on species , and funny thing only spotted ive ever seen in person was a defensive hatchy , anyways im over it the op seems to be doing ok and im not really in the mood to pick on little points like it may have been the time frame that my particular snake was handled for that made him angry like 10 mins would had worked a treat:rolleyes:

From the amount of advice and tips i've got from this thread, I can start to build my own methods. Although some posts conflict, I get the general idea and understand the major "Do's and Dont's".
I really do appreciate the input everyone has given me, Hopefully soon ill be able to handle my pythons with confidence and success.
Cheers

Don't make fun of me before reading my whole comment. I simply said that was my opinion since that is what has worked for me in the past. I didn't say that was fact and if you bothered to read my whole comment (which you clearly didn't) you would see that I do not believe that snakes are like cats and dogs, they are very different. I was just offering my bit of advice.

Don't be so bloody rude.

Hey mate what's the update with ya cranky snakes, have they calmed down yet and how many time ya been tagged? My bredli have calmed down a fair bit, although the male still hasn't shed he is still a bit agro but the female has calmed down, I only handled her for short periods and then put her back, only like 4 or 5 mins a couple times a day, I was getting her out with a hook but she has calmed enough to get her out by hand now

My blonde mac is still very cagey & my caramel coastal is somewhat of a handle once shes out, Trying to grab on to the closest thing and its hard to get her to settle down.
Good work with your bredli, i think ill be using a hook for a while :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back