Jungle Carpet for a first timer?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Awesome thanks so much guys, I'm going to get my reptile licence and get a hatchling Jungle Carpet. :) is it better to buy one from a pet shop or a private breeder?
buy from a breeder they know a bit more about the snake than some petshops might but yea it just means if you have any questions they would know the answer

Thanks guys, I'll have a look at some breeders in the for sale section :)

My first reptile was a Jungle and I love him to bits. I'm pretty much the only person who can hold him and he still has bad days where even I'm not allowed but I also only really handle him for cleaning etc.
If you've always wanted one, then go for it. Don't let others' opinions change your mind.

ALL jungles are evil :twisted:

Out of my three Pythons the Jungle is the one that is yet to bite me.
Although the sibling was very jumpy and would strike out like crazy so I chose the tame one.

He/She (unsexed) seems more energetic than the MDs and can get hissy at times.
But no strikes or bites... Yet.

The MDs don't give me any warning. The girl bit me out of no where (once off) and the boy has actually tagged (and/or tried to) me a few times. But it doesn't even hurt... Probably will when they get bigger though.

i leave the Jungle alone when he's in a 'mood' and it's usually only during shed anyway.

But it all comes down to the Snake itself in my opinion.

Hm what's a rainforest diamond?

Port Macquarie Intergrade....Some refer to them as Port Mac Intergrade, others as Northern Rainforest Diamonds. Contrary to popular belief, they are not a 'cross bred' snake. They are a naturally occurring locale of the species - there is some conjecture that they were the result of interbreeding for thousands of years between the Diamonds and Coastals due to their locale being in the 'intergrade' zone of the two species. There are other theories that contradict this.

Either way....They are a naturally occurring locale in this area, however they came about. There are plenty of them about the area - a lovely specimen was recently seen in a palm tree about 200 metres from where I live. They do well in the 'green zones' around town....with urbanisation comes rats and mice.....add a few 'green zones' through town to allow for koala movement and you get a reasonable habitat for them.

Port Macquarie Intergrade....Some refer to them as Port Mac Intergrade, others as Northern Rainforest Diamonds. Contrary to popular belief, they are not a 'cross bred' snake. They are a naturally occurring locale of the species - there is some conjecture that they were the result of interbreeding for thousands of years between the Diamonds and Coastals due to their locale being in the 'intergrade' zone of the two species. There are other theories that contradict this.

Either way....They are a naturally occurring locale in this area, however they came about. There are plenty of them about the area - a lovely specimen was recently seen in a palm tree about 200 metres from where I live. They do well in the 'green zones' around town....with urbanisation comes rats and mice.....add a few 'green zones' through town to allow for koala movement and you get a reasonable habitat for them.

thanks mate
my mistake on locality, I thought Australia's northern rainforest sort of stretched from about Cairns and north. It's a name that's not very fitting I say

As I type this I am smooshing my jungle yearlings head in my face for cuddles and kisses. She was a twin and a slow feeder and wasn't handled for the first year of her life. She has never bitten me. Wonderful very misunderstood snakes.

great first snake in my opinion, easy to care for and if you get a placid one(I did) you will be extremely pleased and if you get a snappy one just work with it and use a hook at first and get it used to you and most will calm down.

Also don't fall into the trap of "they tend to calm down when they are around 1 year old" and wait until then to handle them......You will be much better off getting it used to handling while its small and doesn't hurt :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back